Thread: It's Snowing!!!

It's Snowing!!!

Inside my hammock!

(well and a little outside too)

So Last night I slept out in my backyard again. The forecast was a low of 17 degrees. It got down to 13. I had bundled up, wore layers, utilized my two sleeping bags (as I have no underquilt or pad).

Once I got all situated I closed my eyes and suddenly awoke to the honking of a car horn at the neighbors. Her ride comes to pick her up at 7:00 every day. OMG! slept the whole night through! I stretched and felt something hit my face. I wiggle my arm up and uncinch my sleeping bag the whole inside of my hammock was covered in tiny little ice crystals I had much fun flaking them off with my finger

Any suggestions on mitigating such things from happening?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionFyre View Post
    Any suggestions on mitigating such things from happening?
    That's frozen condensation, from your breath. You can minimize it by sleeping with some sort of fleece cover for your nose and mouth (think neck gaiter), but it will still happen to some degree.

The only way to eliminate it may be one of the PSolarX masks.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I'll look into fancy-ing something together and making my own

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is just gonna happen in the cold ... shake them off and out before they melt on your bag.
    What type of hammock?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Yeah when I started stirring pretty much everything dropped onto my bags. And whatever was still attached to the surface was uncermoniously disturbed when I was unzipping the cover. I shook out the weather shield good and stuffed it away. by the time i did that the heat of my bag had melted all the snow.

I just laid back zipped up looking at the bottom of my porch listening to the hustle of life start. about an hour later i felt the top of my bag and it had dried off completely (so I know I was toasty warm )

I've got the Clark nx-150. And while I am still unsure of having paid that much for a hammock I am SO GLAD i did. the quality is fantastic and quite a work of art.

I vaguely, VAGUELY, recall the dog coming down and poking around the hammock to see if I was still inside during the middle of the night. but that's about it. I slept like a rock. In fact I'm a bit sore in the legs from not having moved a single inch all night LOL. I also woke up with one of those "i slept too hard" headaches.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionFyre View Post
    Yeah when I started stirring pretty much everything dropped onto my bags. And whatever was still attached to the surface was uncermoniously disturbed when I was unzipping the cover. I shook out the weather shield good and stuffed it away. by the time i did that the heat of my bag had melted all the snow.

I just laid back zipped up looking at the bottom of my porch listening to the hustle of life start. about an hour later i felt the top of my bag and it had dried off completely (so I know I was toasty warm )

I've got the Clark nx-150. And while I am still unsure of having paid that much for a hammock I am SO GLAD i did. the quality is fantastic and quite a work of art.

I vaguely, VAGUELY, recall the dog coming down and poking around the hammock to see if I was still inside during the middle of the night. but that's about it. I slept like a rock. In fact I'm a bit sore in the legs from not having moved a single inch all night LOL. I also woke up with one of those "i slept too hard" headaches.
    I'm not familiar with Clarke's ,but here's the thing . If you love it. If it feels good and is comfortable for you and your happy then its worth whatever you paid for it cause a good nights sleep is most of what its all about. Your where you need to be. Congrates on your great sleep out.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    this will happen whenever it is cold.it is not a problem for one or two nights,but if you sleep out a bunch of nights in a row and have nowere to dry your bag it will become a problem.a wet bag will not keep you warm.i have a clark na.when i sleep out in the cold now i unzip the weather shield untill it is lieing on my chest,this way my head is outside and all my breath is outside too.i get a little frost on my weathershield and on my bags hood this way.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've heard people say to hang something really absorbent, like a strip of cotton fabric, over the interior ridgeline inside the hammock and above your head to absorb breath moistrue... haven't tried it myself yet though, so no idea if it works.

Congrats on the low temp hang without any sort of underquilt or pad!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

I didn't have an underquilt or pad, but I was by no means COLD or even chilly.

I've got a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 degree synthetic, which i stuffed inside of a 3season Kmart bag, beaneath which I had a doubled over fleece blanket. Wore my fleece pajamas and fleece hoodie and my northface booties. I also had a fleece blanket inside the sleeping bag with me to snuggle.

I was about four levels of comfortable I tell you.

On the average night inside in my bed I wake up at least 3 or 4 times. I rarely ever actually GET-UP, just reposition myself someway comfortable recite a mantra prayer and off to sleep again. I sort of halfway awoke just enough to elbow the dog's nose when she kept poking the hammock to see if I was alive.

on a scale of 1-5, with five being the most restful I seriously had a 6 kind of night LOL

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i sleep so good in my hammock sometimes i would be embarased if people saw me getting up that late.

• + New Posts