Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    For rolled hems I use hem clips. They are like hair barrets. Easy and no holes.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    For rolled hems I use hem clips. They are like hair barrets. Easy and no holes.

Neato! How well do they hold on sil?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    It's a good idea to watch the edge of the fabric as it's feeding through, rather than looking at the needle. That's one nice thing about the tape- it helps to keep you looking at the tape and fabric edge lining up.

Another thing that helps keep things more even, especially when working on something large like a tarp, is to roll up the excess fabric and try to keep most of it up at the same level as where you're sewing machine is, and try to move the whole shebang at the same rate as you're sewing so things don't start pulling at different angles.
    This is wisdom. x2. Learned by me the usual way....the hard one.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    Neato! How well do they hold on sil?
    Yes, Dutch (or someone else here, but I think it was Dutch) turned me on to these. There is one task I do making bridge hammocks, multiple rolls of fabric around webbing, where these things save me an amazing amount amount of time. Before I was pinning and unpinning with each roll.

Yes these will "hold" on sil, but are a little more inclined to be knocked off accidentally if you're moving a lot of fabric through the machine.

A big advantage pins have over these is enjoyed when you can pin your hem with the pins at right angles to the direction you move the fabric through the machine. You can sew right over the pins, and keep going. Helps in creating/maintaining straight stitches. It makes sewing like house painting though, most of the time goes into the prep work.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I'm sewing big panels of fabric, I'll roll up all the extra and clip it together with binder clips. That way I have a tube of fabric next to the part that I'm actually sewing on, which is MUCH easier to handle than the big panels sliding all over the place.

My machine has marks on the plate for seam width...works the same as putting some masking tape on it as Perkolady described. Still hard to not watch the needle, but it helps if I make sure the fabric is lined up with those guidelines.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    also, iron the hems/seams. This will help keep the fabric flat. After ironing, I will pin the edge. As others have already said, give yourself a wide birth when gripping the fabric and watch the edge on either a ruled edge on your machine itself or by placing tape as previously suggested.

I can't say I'm good yet, still need practice. But using temporary fabric glue to glue the fabric together instead of pins keeps my fabric together perfect. Then I use the edge of my foot as a reference, similar to using tape like mentioned above, to make sure the fabric goes through at the same distance.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfarandnear View Post
    I can't say I'm good yet, still need practice. But using temporary fabric glue to glue the fabric together instead of pins keeps my fabric together perfect. Then I use the edge of my foot as a reference, similar to using tape like mentioned above, to make sure the fabric goes through at the same distance.
    Fabric glues have their place and can be very helpful. However something to keep in mind is they may cause a build up of goo on needles and other parts of the machine. Needles should be replaced more often and the machine should be kept scrupulously clean. Otherwise big problems can ensue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    On a side note of maintenance...Make sure everything is clean of fuzz and goo in and under your foot and footplate.I've had some build up cause the dogs not to track effectively. Also note how the foot rides.. another issue of maintenance, my foot is held on by a small pin and once worked loose. Could not run a straight stitch? Until I noticed the pin had fallen out of half of the foot bracket.

I agree with most of the suggestions so far. Weights to hold the fabric, tape for a longer guide, take your time to build up your rhythm with the machine and fabric. BIG table to throw all your stuff on.
    I'd steer away from glue, in my opinion. (rev touched on the points of gooin' things up.)

It takes time to build a relationship with your machine. Practice, practice, practice.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Seams are supposed to be straight?
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright