Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I know I'm not the only one bringing extra gear so we should have plenty in case a newbie shows up. Or if we get hassled by a park ranger, we'll just offer him a hammock for the night...it's like an offer he can't refuse.
    I've been down to 5* in the Smokies with my setup. Bringing extra gear just in case the thermostat was wrong that night but willing to share.

I think I will meet up at your house Cannibal, and I will be driving up to the camp since I'll probably leave mid to late Sunday morning. Since a few of you have generously offered a hammock to try, I'm not bringing my tent unless I hear other wise. I do have my 0 degree bag, so I don't necessarily need a quilt.

I really haven't done any winter camping, other than a mid March float trip on the Green River in Utah. And it was a comfy trip, not a minimalist trip. I may not have the best gear for winter, but it will be plenty good.

I forgot about renting snowshoes, and have never used them. I think I'll either bail on the shoes, or if I get energetic enough I'll rent some in the morning. I'll be helping Windy bake cinnamon rolls tonight for us all (she's not making it on the trip). Anything else? I can whip up some red potatoes, shrooms, onions, olive oil in a pan to go over the fire if we need another side.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
    I can whip up some red potatoes, shrooms, onions, olive oil in a pan to go over the fire if we need another side.
    That sounds awesome.

I forgot about snowshoes until the drive home from work. I might swing by REI after work tomorrow. I can't leave until after 4:30, unfortunately.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    REI is on my hitlist for the morning. I could still get there tonight, but I'm flat-out whooped and still about 183 things to get done tonight.
    Trust nobody!

Looks like the rec department at the university to rent them is only open in the afternoon. Really don't think I'm going to buy any at this point without trying a couple different kinds. So I may bail on the shoes. Hike what I can just in my boots. I'm looking for a relaxing weekend, so I'm not going to worry about things like snowshoes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba w/pulls
    Insulation
    Mamaba & Yeti
    Images
    Then Sevens Posse is ready to go! I scored a dutch oven so there will be biscuits on Sat. and Sun. morning. And then peach cobbler at some point.

-Sevens-
    "May the song of the LORD in your heart become a terror to the enemy of your soul."
    -Ray Hughes-

sevensonline.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I should be at the campground in the mid afternoon Friday. I coming from Boulder. I'll bring a bunch of food, too, just to make sure that there's 10 times more than we all need. I do believe that apple pie for all is on the list....
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Mom hooked me up this Christmas- snowshoes! gigety gigety.....

Quote Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
    Looks like the rec department at the university to rent them is only open in the afternoon. Really don't think I'm going to buy any at this point without trying a couple different kinds. So I may bail on the shoes. Hike what I can just in my boots. I'm looking for a relaxing weekend, so I'm not going to worry about things like snowshoes
    You could try REI. They usually have a decent selection of rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    You could try REI. They usually have a decent selection of rentals.
    I'm thinking of hitting the one off County Line rd, near Park Meadows on my way up. Just means I have to go back that way to return them. I was thinking of going the other way home through Fairplay, Woodland park, etc. But I think I will try to stop at that REI and get some shoes.

Cannibal - I will call if I'm running behind in the morning, and may just have to meet up there at the camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast