Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Costco TopQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Ring Buckle

New to camping and hammocks

Just wanted to introduce myself. Been lurking for a couple of months now.

I turn 40 this week and lately, this city guy has been hearing the call of the wild.

Haven't been camping since summer camp 25 years ago, haven't caught a fish bigger than a deck of cards in my life. But this year I'm planning to camp and catch a fish worthy of eating.

Hammock camping appeals to me because I actually did spend a few cold nights on the ground when I was in the Army 20 years ago.

I didn't *quite* get the importance of the ccf pad and spent some miserable nights out in the field when I didn't bring one. The ground was lumpy, too!

I like the idea of being up and out of the elements (those elements being rock, root, mud, water, and snake). I have found a lot of useful information here, especially since I'm 6'1" and 270 lbs. Not all gear is likely to work for me. I notice that quite a few hammockers equal my dimensions. Some even dare to exceed them. It's nice to learn from experience.

So, a couple of days ago, after much reading on this forum, my Parrot Bay hammock showed up at my door. I haven't had a chance to hang it above the foot of snow outside, but I will soon.

I was going to get a Skeeter Beeter Pro, but I'm hoping the Parrot Bay will at least be good enough to get a feel for hammock camping. I have to watch costs because my wife is giving me the side-eye re my new interest in the outdoors.

My plan is to take my new-to-me little aluminum jonboat on a weekend camping trip along one of the local rivers (maybe even the Mississippi) and fish.

I've been slowly acquiring camping gear for the last couple of months and maybe I wasn't keeping my wife up to date on everything. It reminds me of the tagline of a guy over on one of the boating forums: "My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it."

Last night, we stopped by one of the local outdoor stores on the way to a bookstore. I was looking at the hammocks that they have hanging like drapes from a ring in the ceiling and my wife said, "Those are pretty. You should get one, babe!"

Awwww, how sweet. Such a good wife.

I scuffed the tile with my foot and said, "I kinda already have one..."

And as the old joke goes, "And that's when the fight started..."

Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Welcome aboard.

That ccf pad will be a lot more comfortable in the hammock. A nice underquilt would definitely keep you toasty, but I have the feeling you would need to do a lot of convincing....

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome Chris. If you can get the wife to try out your hammock, she may want one too!
    Sounds like you're getting back into camping in a good way. Taking time to check out what works & what's comfortable!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    sounds like you will have immanent chances to test your gear in the backyard...
    or, you could persuade her to help you save a bunch of money by helping you make gear!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome, Chris. You made me laugh more than once. Best of luck avoiding having to sleep out with the snow. Although, with a little more gear, it will be quite comfortable.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    chrislrob,
    welcome from a newbie too, though not a newbie to hammocking.
    You have found a treasure trove of info, of nurturing, of just good folk who love to hang whether there biking/hiking/paddling/cycling/etc.
    You notice there are common folk like myself who just use gear, but there are those here who will dissect, analyze, create, improve, mod, and all around make the experience better/lighter/more functional.
    I'm sure many of us have been to forums where there is animus,angst, negative-waves; what you'll find here is people who love the art of hammocking.
    Enjoy!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob View Post
    I like the idea of being up and out of the elements (those elements being rock, root, mud, water, and snake).
    You'll also be up in another element, the air. You'll notice breezes more than you would on the ground. But that's part of the appeal of hammock camping. I tend to pay more attention to the general lay of the land while I hike. Instead of looking for a small flat space big enough to pitch a tent, I'm looking for a nice stand of trees on a gentle slope, usually East-facing and away from the wind and maybe halfway between the ridgetop and a stream at the bottom. Along a winding river there's amazing variety of shoreline habitats with the different angles of the sun. This is most dramatic when the wildflowers are coming into bloom. A bend in the river can take you into a different season. You'll have fun on those fishing trips.

David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome chrislrob !
    The fun is on .......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Welcome Chris,

I just hope you dont have what I have... Hammockitis has cost me plenty.. But its been fun..

Good to have you

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

• + New Posts