Hennessy Backpacker
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/hooks

Zpacks vs Hammock gear

I am looking for comparison of Zpacks hammock tarp with doors and Hammock gear tarp with doors. They appear pretty similar pullout wise. Zpacks slightly heavier due to non cantenary cut? Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    First, there's only a 2/3 oz difference in the specs, and the Zpacks weight includes stuff sack.

Also, HG has this disclaimer: * All listed weights are averages and do not include the provided stuff sack and patch kit. Deviations of +/- 0.50 ounces are within specifications.

Plus the average Zpacks customer tends to immediately throw everything on a scale accurate to 0.1g (oh wait, that's me! ) and so they tend to be a bit more conservative with specs, erring on the side of a few extra grams.

In effect, it's "six of one, half dozen of another."

The cat cut on the HG is minimal and doesn't have a huge impact on coverage; mine has already seen some serious hammer-time weather (buckets of rain, 40mph gusts) and worked just fine for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    They are dang-near the same. HG lists theirs a 8.6ft wide and is cat-cut; whereas Z-Packs lists the width at 8.5ft and is straight-cut. Pricing is the same between the two. I suppose HG is slightly a better deal- due to it being just a bit wider. But in reality, the additional 2 inches is probably negligible. Which one ships the quickest? Z-Packs will get theirs out in 2 weeks. HG is currently out of green cuben fiber until mid-april. They do have camouflage in stock, but it'll cost you more. HG usually ships in 1-2 weeks.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used the hammock gear CF on the whole AT and the tarp performed well. I still use the tarp and plan to take it on the PCT with me. I had one issue that was likely due to my abuse of the tarp but hammock gear provided excellent customer service and got me back on the trail as soon as they could. Hammock gear has also provided great customer service on every other item I have bought from them.

The zpacks site says the ridgeline seam is taped which makes me think that it is a sewn seam, others please comment if this is not the case. My hammock gear CF has a bonded ridgeline seam. That is one difference I see just looking at the tarps design wise other than what others have noted.

I heard first hand experience of less than stellar customer service experience with Zpacks from multiple people while I was hiking the AT. Personally I have purchased several items with them but havn't had to go through having a defective or damage item and getting it replaced.

If I had to buy a new CF tarp it would be Hammock Gear. I have thoroughly field tested it in the some of the worst storms I've ever camped, one was so bad I filled my water bottles in minutes from the tarp corners, in and it performed great. Both are solid gear makers so either should suit your needs well.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hammock Gear has a well-deserved reputation of excellent customer service before and after your purchase.

By comparison, ZPacks has a reputation for being somewhat lacking in this area; in my own experience they have been less than accommodating.

Some things are hard to weight on a gram scale; customer satisfaction is one. My HG Cuben Fiber Hex has served me well.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

I would buy the Zpacks if they made 12 foot tarp with doors. I own the 12 foot HG tarp, but the issue I have is, with the doors open, getting a taut pitch in center. There is a bit of a sag that flaps when it's windy. The Zpacks tarp has a center tie-out that would be ideal on the HG. I'll probably look into sending it back and having a tie-out installed, but the lack of one is a pretty glaring weakness. If you are OK with an 11 footer my recommendation is go with the Zpacks. As far as customer service, I have had good luck with both vendors, although HG responds a bit quicker.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Your mention of 12' vs 11' reminded me that mine is also the 12' HG which I think is a skosh better because it is more roomy when the doors are really battened down tight. I used a hanging stove inside mine during some bad weather and the bit of extra space was appreciated.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock gear all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The Zpacks tarp has a center tie-out that would be ideal on the HG
    Zpacks sells grosgain CF patches that could be used on the HG tarp. I just attached them to me doors.

IMG_0053.jpgIMG_0052.jpgIMG_0051.jpgtape-stick-on-loop-l.jpg
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    My son and I have the zPacks with doors. I've had one for four years and the boy stole it to complete the AT last year. I purchased another without hesitation. His now has 3 years and an AT trek under it's belt. I put about about 20-40 trail nights per year on mine. We both use WB Bridges.
    The doors provide multiple configuration options
    I did have a pine cone rip a whole it it during a storm. Patched it from the inside "wet" and the patch is still hanging in there.
    For dump camping I still use the Super Fly, as Scouts are generally involved and privacy / space / durability is nice, but on the trail the Zpacks has served me well.
    We also have HG products and agree their quality and customer service is great. We have also had equally good service from Zpacks as well.
    Last edited by hodad; 03-13-2018 at 13:30.

• + New Posts