Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing shops experiecne?

Guys wondering what your experience with local sewing shops have been like. I know i have read several posts where guys let their wifes handle it.LOL Unfortunately in every shop I have visited in the north ga/ atlanta area they have been less then stellar encounters. I found them to be arrogant, snobby, and basically the biggest bunch of pricks, I have ever run into in any industry EVER! This was just not one place but everyone I went in. Even the little old lady working the sewing section at walmart had a attitude.

It got worse as soon as they found out I wasnt interested in their thousand dollar machines they pretty much ignored me after that. A Babyloc dealer had no interest what so ever in selling me their cheap machine which was on sale for $99 this month. Not one shop had the cheaper machines and only one offered to order one for me. It was very clear if you aint spending big bucks stay out!!

I usually had to wait in line to get some help and observing the other costumers everyone of them was just like the people working in the shop PRICKS!

One shop wouldnt even sale/order me a handle that I need really didnt matter. I just stopped in to see if they had one in stock and I just played alone with her. The girl said they would need to see the machine themselves and it would need a "service check" and that would be $200. Then they would order the handle and fix the machine which would be extra over the $200 service check. I explained I could do it myself and she said that wasnt possible it was a very technical issue. LOL By this time I had had it with these idiots. She got a earful !!!!!!!!!

How these places stay in business is beyond me. I know I will not buy anything from them ever.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your experience. The two shops in my city are pretty good. They both sell used machines but I think they overprice them. Having said that, the staff have always been helpful and the one shop offered a few free lessons as well as ongoing support with the purchase of one of their new or used machines.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Overall, my experience has been that they really cater to a different clientele ... I basically don't really bother trying to get material for gear from the local shops, some basic supplies maybe, but they just have quilting supplies and generic materials. The ones around here have friendly enough staff and they try and help ... but a lot of the stuff we use isn't mainstream enough.

The mindset of a gear crafter is just not in their wheelhouse ... I have been trying to order a few parts for my machine, oh..you want to buy parts, that will take at least 3-4 weeks if they have them .... the Singer store said over a month .... Amazon can be a great place, I expect the parts in a few days.

Brian

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My local shops aren't as bad as described but in that ballpark. We aren't their target audience sadly even though we sew. What we need and want by and large aren't sold in the stores. Joanns and all that cater to a hobby level sewer at best and with disposable income. I don't need a machine with 950 included fancy stitches, I just need a basic machine and some extra bobbins. No one locally to me carries any of the common fabrics I sew with either. The few that have some scrap rolls floating around want a premium price for a basic material that I can get for half that from a dozen online vendors in twenty colors. IMHO from what I've seen no one who seriously sews, whether for this or fashionable clothes, shops at the big box stores for the core fabrics or materials.

Sadly 95% of what I use I buy online. WaWak, ABC sewing, RSBTR, Dutch, Amazon, Cutex etc. I can get needles in bulk from a sewing house in packs of 100 for what I pay in a local fabric shop. Not that needles were expensive before but for that they really are disposable. Parts I get all online, fabric stores have what they have and it's mostly their high end machine pieces as you've seen. By the time i wait for them to special order something I could have gotten the part from Amazon or someone else in half the time for half the cost. I shop at Joanns for cheap fabrics on sale while I learn to sew better as I move outside of hammocks or quilts. Then after a few practice pieces I pull the trigger on more expensive more appropriate fabrics from a different vendor. It's like Home Depot, they arent bad and certainly good enough for the average DIY joe homeowner. If I need some bolts or a new gate latch they have them. Personally however, I want to be better than that average guy and so know that often means spending a bit more above and beyond and looking past the most convenient mass produced goods.

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Winter
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    I dislike them too and I only go there when it is really necessary. Not all my experiences have been bad, but it is just such a hassle to do anything or buy anything in a sewing machine store. Buying bobbins or a specialty foot should not be like pulling teeth.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Big Red Love Tarp
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Wow, I thought it was just me.

Here in Portland, Oregon we have a big Sales and Repair of sewing machines. There attitude is awful!

The unsuspecting take their thread injectors in for repair or refurbishing, then they get the sales pitxh for a very expensive machine, using their current machine as a trade in. If the person just wants their machine tuned-up or repaired. The problem is the repaired or tuned up injector does NOT work correctly.

I tried the smaller local shops, really crummy attitude the second aI turn away from the high end stuff. Interesting because usually I am the only customer. Plus if they do not have what I am looking for, I am told it does not exist.

I really wonder if most of the Sewing Machine Shops are a front for a different business. Now I read HF member's from Canada and the U.S.A. have found the same attitude. Interesting.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The last time I(a guy) went in Walmart the lady in the sewing section asked if I was looking for a present for my wife. When I said no she looked very confused.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Try dealing with some of those type shops when your livelihood depends on it. Not sure what it is but most sewing shops just seem to have people that expect their customers to be one thing and one thing only. Luckily we deal with them very very little. We found a very good and helpful local repairman that worked in service for some of the major brands for 30 some years and now services machines out of his garage for great rates. And for materials, we deal with manufactures or 2 suppliers. But dang I hate it when we need a few boxes of pins or a replacement machine foot.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Online supply houses are great. Now they tend to not hold your hand at all. They expect you to know what you need and have a part number. Once you do the leg work though they tend to be cheap for any basic parts. If you are near one of the fashion areas; LA, New York etc, I've read about a lot of good supply houses that will help. Just good old school people that have been doing the same thing for years. They know their stuff and they often want to share their knowledge. Not to say Joanns or whoever doesn't have employees that care but this month's employee you flag down might not be there next month with their turn over rates.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I've had stellar experiences with the sewing shops I've frequented. I have a Pfaff and a Janome so I go to their websites and find out who are the authorized repair places and go to them. My repair experience was good, as well as just stopping by the Janome store to see what they offer (I'd *love* one of the top of the line Janome machines but currently they are too rich for my blood).

I still shop at Jo-Ann for quick supplies if I don't want to do Amazon or if I can use their coupons to get an equal or better deal.