Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Smokehouse Gathered End Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Both times the hammocks were hung to specs. The only thing that might have been done was that I had strung them up to tight. By a welp I ment a lump on the wifes head! It did give here a head ache!! In other words the ridge line that snapped back in Nov. My wife was in it at the time. It did go down some but not all of the way to the ground. She was not to happy about the situation!
    Former hiker due to health issues those days are over.

Images
    Where are most of these breaks occuring?

I would like to "beef" my HH up. Are the breaks in the covered knot area or are they occuring on the visible part of the ridge line (between the end loops in the sleeping area).

I use 550 paracord for everything, do you think this would be a good replacement? It is fairly stretchy. I use it for the tarp with a cinch knot and stretch the snot out of it.

I also tend to like a tightly hung hammock. This is why I am curious about replacing my ridge line.

Why are people using a clip? What is the advantage to not having a ridge line?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FeO2 View Post
    I use 550 paracord for everything, do you think this would be a good replacement? It is fairly stretchy. I use it for the tarp with a cinch knot and stretch the snot out of it.

Why are people using a clip? What is the advantage to not having a ridge line?
    When you have a removable ridgeline in a HH, it is much easier to use it as a lounger/chair without the bugnet being in the way.

550 is not a suitable replacement for a ridgeline. The forces that are placed on a loaded structural ridgeline can far exceed 550's strength. Several people on the forum have had 550 break in this application. Also, a ridgeline should not 'stretch'. A suitable diameter of Spectra cord is a much better choice, because of it's strength/diameter and it's lack of stretch.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Smokehouse Gathered End Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My ridgeline snaped, best as I can remember, the first one at the foot end inside near the knot, the second one in Nov. was at the head in also inside.
    Hope this helps.
    Former hiker due to health issues those days are over.

Images
    post moved to "Dual RL thread" where it belongs, posted here in error.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-01-2008 at 09:06.

Newbe question about ridgeline tension.

Reading this thread I see that there are 2 schools of thought on the ridgeline.

1 group views the ridgeline as a supporting member of the hammock system and therefore has a loading.

The other group views the ridgeline as something that holds the net off your face and gives you somewhere to hang stuff on.

Which is right? How much tension should be on the ridgeline?
    Last edited by Bugzee Malone; 03-01-2008 at 09:55.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

I would break it down as: enough tension to pull the support line to an angle with the hammock, it is becoming structural; a ridgeline that has a bit of slack would be non-structural. HTH, Betsy

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    When you have a removable ridgeline in a HH, it is much easier to use it as a lounger/chair without the bugnet being in the way.

550 is not a suitable replacement for a ridgeline. The forces that are placed on a loaded structural ridgeline can far exceed 550's strength. Several people on the forum have had 550 break in this application. Also, a ridgeline should not 'stretch'. A suitable diameter of Spectra cord is a much better choice, because of it's strength/diameter and it's lack of stretch.
    I agree, 550 cord is not a very good RL. I have used it in the past, several times in fact, and never had a break. I does stretch a lot tho. Like hang hammock, get in and in the morning your bum is touching the ground, a lot of stretch. I kept a 550 cord RL on one of my DIY hammocks for a year and never got a the stretch out of it. It wasn't until I read Youngbloods post about RL that I experimented a little and now I go without. Makes everything simpler anyway.

What ever happened with the HH ridgelines?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post

What ever happened with the HH ridgelines?
    Well, so far, my almost 2 year old one has not snapped. Even the time I clearly overtightened it using the hitchcraft device. But last night I cut it, attached enough (much thicker) cord to make up for cord used up adding bowline for the screw connectors. I connected HH RL cord to thicker cord with a double sheet bend. We will see how long things go without snapping after all of that.
    ( although, I may soon just replace the entire RL with some stronger spectra).
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-01-2008 at 15:27.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee Malone View Post
    Reading this thread I see that there are 2 schools of thought on the ridgeline.
    That's because there are two distinct types of ridgelines. One is actually a structural part of the hammock suspension and affects the sag of the hammock, and the other is simply an accessory for holding up netting, hanging items, etc.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast