Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Images
    After you repair your ridgeline with some low stretch cord with a breaking strength of several hundred pounds, try tying it higher at a height that is proportional to the separation between the trees with some initial sag in the hammock suspension lines.

Often, it is the method of not tying the hammock initially high enough and putting some slack in the hammock suspension lines that contributes to the ridgeline failure. Tying the hammock lower, pulling the suspension lines taut and retightening as necessary to raise the hammock to the height you desire is putting more force on your hammock's suspension system. There are a few posts about that in this thread describing the additional forces created when you do that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hangin' High

Youngblood, in my case, at least, I doubt that hang height was an issue. I don't recall exactly how high I strung the HH when the ridgeline broke, but generally I like to string it as high as I can and still get into it. I usually have to push up on my toes to get my butt high enough to sit down into the hammock. On level ground this means the tree hugger webbing is at eye level or a little higher. I'm 68" tall.

I just climbed in mine the first time after two weeks of no soda
    298lbs on the button.......

The ridge line on mine was a tight as my g string on my bass!!

Thought for sure it was going to be a flop and drop but it held my fat ***
    so i guees the rating system they use is working.
    As i was playing "pride and joy" on my ridge line i was thinking i should find out how to replace it just in case .....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Kraft View Post
    used the tautest hang I could with the HH recommended knot system

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Kraft View Post
    Youngblood, in my case, at least, I doubt that hang height was an issue. I don't recall exactly how high I strung the HH when the ridgeline broke, but generally I like to string it as high as I can and still get into it. I usually have to push up on my toes to get my butt high enough to sit down into the hammock. On level ground this means the tree hugger webbing is at eye level or a little higher. I'm 68" tall.
    Wayne... the comment you made about using the tautest hang you could means you aren't hanging it high in the way I talk about hanging them high. The goal for how high the hammock itself ends up off the ground is the same, it is the supports that I talk about hanging higher up on the trees.

I mean that you tie the hammock off higher on the supports without the suspension taut... the without the suspension taut is key in all this. You initially have sag in the suspension, a good bit actually. When you do that there is not as much force on the hammock suspension when you initially get in the hammock and it doesn't drop as far from where you initial placed it. This technique is less stressful on everything involved, the hammock suspension, the ridgeline, the tree huggers, and the supports.
    Youngblood AT2000

The ridgeline material that Hennessy uses right now is polyester but I can't speak for what was used years ago. It stretches a lot less than nylon so it works better in its structural role.

I think the most common cause of ridgeline breakage is being tied a lot more tightly then it needs to be. It really just needs to be tied tight enough that it doesn't droop.

Images
    I have found that Youngblood's advice on this is excellent. My hammocks sag a bunch less sense I started tying up higher on the tree and not tightening so much. It seems I end up at about the same height, but with the tighter, straighter suspension and Ridge lines I get there after a lot of sag.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Reading about trying to reposition yourself by hanging on the ridgeline has somewhat spooked me because I have been concered about that. That got me to thinking, but before I do anything stupid I thought I would run it past others.

I am thinking of putting some haul ropes at the head end of my HH Safari. I thought of lashing them to the ridgeline but that seemed like it would defeat the purpose. I am not quite sure how to describe what I have in mind so I'll just give it a try. I have a large plastic button about 1.25" dia. I am planning to press that into the hammock from the outside and whip it off making a "knob" for lack of another word on the inside. (This is the idea behind the grommet-less guidelines on things like sil-nylon tarps if you follow the idea.) The haul line would then be tied to that knob and I can pull myself in easier... or so it would seem. There is substantial fullness of fabric at that point so I don't see the mod adding fabric stress.

Any feed back on this idea... either "go for it it might work".... "Been there done that... it works (or doesn't)" ... or "That's the dumbest idea I've ever read and here's why."

Images
    ever tried just reaching up in that same area and just grabbing some hammock fabric to pull on, thats what i do.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Yes I have done that. Just wasn't sure it was the best idea. But it makes sense and is certainly simpler.

Thanks.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I used to grab the hammock material...I certainly wouldn't use the ridgeline...

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456