Hi

I've had my HH expedition for about three years, used it probably twenty/twenty five times. I weigh about 83 kg ( 180 lbs? ) so well within design limits for the HH exped. Put it up as usual yesterday, nice and taut, climbed in, ridgeline snapped. A split second waiting for my bum to make contact with the concrete below, but of course I didn't drop down very far. Spent the night with a sloppy mozzie net over my face, but otherwise no ill effects.

So, the question(s) is: Why should this happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Does it happen often? Is the ridgeline necessary structurally( I know it's a useful clothesline, makes the HH easier to set up, holds up mozzie net etc )? What strength cord should I use to replace the snapped item? Is it possible to access the attachment points for the ridgeline in order to replace it, or am I obliged to attach a new cord to the remains of the original ridgeline?

I would ask HH for a new hammock but for a three year old model I don't imagine it's going to work...