Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Answer

An SMC ring will do the trick at a minimum weight gain. However, with the Siberian Hitch, which i LOVE, will not bind if you slip the remainder of the line out of the "big loop" before tightening. Trust me I sleep on them all the time

BTW - the link you put up is not a Siberian Hitch. <---- This link is right. The loop is pulled inside the tree-round.
    Last edited by Running Feather; 02-15-2010 at 17:08.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite &amp; WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    An SMC ring will do the trick at a minimum weight gain. However, with the Siberian Hitch, which i LOVE, will not bind if you slip the remainder of the line out of the "big loop" before tightening. Trust me I sleep on them all the time

BTW - the link you put up is not a Siberian Hitch. <---- This link is right. The loop is pulled inside the tree-round.
    Here is the video I was looking for earlier, specifically at 0:52. I'm actually horrible with knots, so I can't see the difference in the videos we both posted. The binding problem that I'm experiencing is when I pull to release the knot, the cord almost makes it through but stops just prior to release. I was thinking the cord isn't right for this type of knot.

I ordered some SMC rings and C.A.M.P Nano 23's which should satiate me until I decide they are too heavy and opt for the whoopie slings. Unless I'm doing the Siberian Hitch wrong, then I'll start using it.

Here is an image of my knot and where it binds. I didn't have sheathed-Spectra available, so that is cannon fuze. Surprisingly, it handles quite like cold Spectra.
    Last edited by Trooper; 02-15-2010 at 20:28.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor &amp; DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
    You're hooked now!!! Forever will it dominate your destiny!

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    In our Scout troop, we have the boys set up their Hennessys with a bowline on one tree and a truckers hitch on the other. It's really simple, fast and so far, no failures. I use the trucker's for my plain ridgeline which I need very tight so I can hang all of my junk from it, heavy jackets and all.

S

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    I'm a fan of "simple." Trying to simplify my suspension, I tried to tie 7/64 Amsteel Blue to a descender ring with a single slippery half hitch. True to it's name, it slipped. So I made a second half hitch with the loop of the first. Better. It only slipped a couple of inches. Not good enough. Then I tried to untie it. Not good at all. That's when another idea hit me (clunk.) I tied a slippery half hitch, inserted a hardwood toggle through the loop, and pulled the tail end to tighten the loop onto the toggle. It held. I lay down and it still held. I bounced (lightly) and it still held. So far so good. I then got up, easily pulled out the smooth toggle, and pulled on the tail end. No movement. Jerked. Out it popped. BINGO! This needs further real-world testing but at this stage it looks promising as a tie-off for a single line of Amsteel Blue to a descender ring (or toggle) in the main load-bearing portion of a suspension.
    bob

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite &amp; WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I've been using a ring or carabiner as a sliding adjustment since I started this thread with great success. I haven't changed to Whoopie Slings yet, so right now this sliding ring is the best weight/adjustability combo as it only adds 12g per ring. If could go heavier with a pair of 23g carabiners, and those are multiple use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12