Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot

Suggestions for my first hammock

Hello everyone! I have decided that I want to start using a hammock for my backpacking shelter, but I am short on money (the University seems to want it all, and any leftover goes to the bookstore) and don't have any experience with backpacking hammocks. We used hammocks in the Scouts for at least one trip a year and I really liked sleeping in them, but these were not for backpacking.

Anyway, I was hoping for some suggestions on a good, inexpensive starter's hammock. I have looked at the Moskito Traveller by Byer of Maine and the Skeeter Beeter by the Travel Hammock company. Both of these run between $30 and $40 before shipping. I also looked at The Mosquito Hammock by Claytor, but it is $60 which is more than I would like to pay, but it might be tolerable if it is better than the other two.

My old Scoutmaster said he had bought mosquito net and draped it over an open hammock instead of using one with a built in mosquito net, but I can't find any for less than $40.

So, I'm hoping for some comments on the hammocks I've mentioned and welcome any other suggestions anyone has. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make your own.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Also check out the Eagle's Nest Outfitters hammocks...lots of ENO fans here at HF.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Welcome.

That's a loaded question.

If you can or are willing to sew, making your own can save you a bunch of money. A lot of people buy one and use it for awhile before upgrading.

What part of ohio are you from? There is starting to be a group of us from the cincy area that go into KY every once and awhile.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I would suggest that you try and make your own. If you cant sew, find someone who can or pay a seamstress. Should be pretty cheap. I am in the process of making my first homemade hammock. Am still practicing on some material before I take the plunge on mine. Many here rave about how their homemade hammocks are more comfortable than commercial ones. As far as the bug net is concerned, you could have one sewed ala Speer style which I'm not a huge fan of or look into something like a bug bivy which is what I'm looking at either making or having made for me. Remember that you will not need a bug net in the colder months ahead as them bugs are not really an issue then.
    If you really want to "pimp your hammock" so to speak, check out this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=buckle
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-08-2007 at 18:28.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Thanks for your quick replies. I can sort of sew, but since I hadn't been able to find bugnet at a reasonable price I figured I was better off buying a hammock with it built in. Mosquitos are, unfortunately, pretty bad around here. I may still try to sew one (those directions make it look fairly easy), but I was hoping someone could tell me whether the two I mentioned were worth the money. I will look at ENO, but if I remember correctly the ENO hammocks I have seen in the past were fairly expensive.

Hammock Engineer, I'm from the Ohio Valley area almost right across the river from Wheeling, WV.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have a Moskito Traveller and really like it. It's a great starter. I also have an ENO SingleNest and if I remember right it only ran about $50, but if you're patient you can find them on sale for about $35. Both of these are good choices and you'd be happy with either one. I haven't had a chance to get in a Claytor yet, but people seem to like them.

But seriously, take Just Jeff's advice and give it a go. If you REALLY don't want to sew and just want to see if you like it, try Risk's Test Hammock: http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm. Then your training will be complete and you can begin your journey down the darkside...DIY.

Oh yeah, welcome to the group.

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Well, I suppose I could make one and just use the bugscreen out of an irreparably damaged tent and just drape it over my head. Maybe tie the top off to a ridgeline to keep it off my face. Assuming my local Wal-Mart has ripstop in the $1 bin, this might just be worth it. I enjoy making things anyway. I've probably spent more time than is healthy building and tweaking alcohol stoves.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    On choice for a bug bivy is this: http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/search...=bivy&x=24&y=2

I bought one in case I ever decide to stay in a shelter after reading how bad the bugs are. It should work in a hammock, too. It fits over the top of the sleeping bag/pad kinda like a large shower cap. The hoop keeps the net off your face. A bit bulky (because of the loop it doesn't compress a lot), but light weight unless you are counting grams.

shadowmoss
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Check out DebW's bug bivy here...you might have enough material from your tent to do it.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    On choice for a bug bivy is this: http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/search...=bivy&x=24&y=2

I bought one in case I ever decide to stay in a shelter after reading how bad the bugs are. It should work in a hammock, too. It fits over the top of the sleeping bag/pad kinda like a large shower cap. The hoop keeps the net off your face. A bit bulky (because of the loop it doesn't compress a lot), but light weight unless you are counting grams.

shadowmoss
    Would the hoop damage the nylon of your hammock if you did'nt use a pad?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast