Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

Yellow River State Forest - Solo

Well, here's my version of the trip. I was looking forward to meeting Jerry W.,Pizza, and Sarah up at the Glenn Wendell site but my "local knowledge" and their decision to go to another site made this a solo trip for me.

I got up to the HQ a little later than I had planned, about 8 PM. I get up to YRSF about 8-10 times a year so I know the trails pretty well. I could see the groups' tracks heading to the main trail and I knew of a shortcut that would shave off about twenty minutes, so I took it. What I missed by doing that was their tracks heading to the John Schultz site at the fork in the trail.

When I got up to Glenn Wendell there was nobody there and I immediately knew what had happened. I thought about heading their way but it was 9PM and I don't mind solo trips. It's kind of fun to talk to yourself, the trees, my gear, etc.

Anyway, I got set up and had a great night of sleep in the Blackbird. I gotta say I love the BDG Winter Dream with pullouts. Sweet tarp! Had a great hot breakfast from the hammock on a beautiful day and a great day snowshoeing around the park.

Hopefully, sometime soon I'll get the opportunity to meet Jerry W and Pizza. Sarah, have a great trip on the AT!

Here's a few pics for you to enjoy!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1265602504
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Hey ... I love me a solo trek ... have done it a lot in the past and still do on occasion. Like Shug recently said in his Southeastern Backpacker podcast ... you get looks from folks like they think your some kinda lone ax murderer

Shame you didn't meet up with the others ... I've shared a campsite with JerryW ... and it's a treat. You can learn a lot from that soft spoken gentleman. Keep expecting to see him post his next ultimate solar powered hand made thing-a-majig any day now!

Thanks for posting the shots ... looks like a great time in the frozen woods!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice pics Hangin'Yankee! That tarp looks really roomy! Wish I could've seen it in person.

We'll manage to meet up one of these times. That makes two now.

(stick to the plan, stick to the plan...)

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

The plan

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Nice pics Hangin'Yankee! That tarp looks really roomy! Wish I could've seen it in person.

We'll manage to meet up one of these times. That makes two now.

(stick to the plan, stick to the plan...)

Jerry
    It is roomy! I love it, I'm so glad that I had Scott do the pullouts. I need to put those on the SWT that I have.

It was fine that you guys went to the other site. You had no idea that I knew of other ways to get there! The funny thing was that I thought about bailing on you guys and going up to John Schultz because I like the hike up there and the site. What a surprise I would have been in for if I had gone that route!

Like I said, it was a fun trip! I just missed out on meeting you guys. That will just make it more enjoyable when we get the chance. Let's make it sooner rather tan later.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Lone Wolf- Nice pics and I love the looks of that tarp. Hope to hike again with you... well, sometime in the future, that is if we can manage to hook up

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Randy, you sure seem to like walking around in the dark by yourself (northern hang, potty, ring a bell?) . I've been wanting to check that area out for some time now, but you know how it is, kids, time, work, distance, etc. Pictures of the area looked real pretty. Your tarp rocks. Glad you had a good time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Hey Randy, you sure seem to like walking around in the dark by yourself (northern hang, potty, ring a bell?) . I've been wanting to check that area out for some time now, but you know how it is, kids, time, work, distance, etc. Pictures of the area looked real pretty. Your tarp rocks. Glad you had a good time.
    Yeah Oms, I do enjoy hiking in the dark. Although, my night hiking is more just a function of not being able to get out of work early on a Friday.

You and the family would enjoy Yellow River. The terrain looks a lot like pictures of a recent trip that you posted over close to Indiana, I believe.

If you ever head this way, give me a shout.

Randy

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I may be a bit biased here, but nice pics! Looks like a good trip.

It's good to see the side panel pulls in action. They really open up the inside.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts