Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

Outdoor Vitals 30F topquilt - opinions

just purchased this topquilt at discounted price. anyone tested this or any opinions. i pulled it out of the stuff sack and tried to fluff it up. still see empty spots.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    This stuff caught my eye with all it's ads on YouTube. But, i see more negative comments on it than positive. What i understand is that it is basically low quality stuff similar to the amazon china stuff.

I tell anyone who ask me, to buy quality cottage vendor stuff and only cry once. I'd rather complain i spent a lot of money, than complain i was cold and wet all night. And truthfully for what you get most of the cottage vendor stuff isn't that high anyway.

Let us know after you use it. I would love to see more owner reviews on it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've only seen a few posts on HF about Outdoor Vitals and one response from the owner (his only post).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=outdoorvitals

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=aerie

Looking at their videos and product offerings (made in China), they're not very competitive with our cottage vendors. Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-28-2018 at 22:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, econ 10
    Suspension
    Spider beetle buck
    I havnt seen much good. Read the down smells, and reports of unequal fills. Price point dosnt really compete well with HGs Econ or Arrowhead. Both of which are great balues.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    just purchased this topquilt at discounted price. anyone tested this or any opinions. i pulled it out of the stuff sack and tried to fluff it up. still see empty spots.
    ~

I have owned the Aeries 30° quilt (UQ, TQ, pod, sleeping bag, all-in-one). Here is my .02

Loft: it took awhile, several weeks out of the stuff sack and hanging up, but I felt it lofted very well once it finally did.

Smell: I did not notice any disturbing odor

Used as a TQ: It is a large quilt (seems like it was 78" in length and 63"-72"ish wide?). That is a lot of down on top of and around you and I thought it worked just fine as a TQ but I only used it in warmer weather so I cannot address the temperature rating as a TQ

Used as a Pod: never did

Used as a UQ: I feel this is where the all-in-one is not the best option. First the suspension is very basic - 1 strand of shock cord looped through grosgrain loops on each end with cord locks for adjustment. Simple yet not as effective as say a dual suspension set up. The "foot end" is where I had the most problem. I call the foot end the end where you have to zip up the zipper to help cinch the quilt up against the hammock. There is a shock cord there as well and I could never get that area to completely seal off. And the zipper...every time I wen to move the zipper it would always snag some fabric. Lastly, because it is so wide, I would have a panel of the quilt hanging above my shoulders on both side of me once I got in the hammock. This was great for keeping the wind from hitting my face but that meant that there was 2 panels worth of down not contributing to the insulation / warmth of my bottom side. Definitely not as efficient as an UQ. I was a bit cool using the UQ in mid 40° weather (if my memory serves me correctly).

I did not have long term use with the quilt. Three overnighters as a TQ and 1 night as a UQ. I decided to buy a dedicated UQ before getting into colder weather and I can say there is definitely a gap between the Aeries quilt trying to be all things in one verses a dedicated UQ.

Having said that, if you got into cheap enough and plan to use it solely as a TQ and/or understand / overcome the drawbacks as a UQ then it may well be worth what you paid for it and you can feel good about what you have.

Like Shug says in a lot of his videos, you do not have to spend the most money and have the best gear. If what you have helps you get out and enjoy / experience the outdoors then consider that a win!

HYOY.

• + New Posts