Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

Time sensitive - birthday fast approaching- looking for equipment recommendations

Hello,

Haven't been on here in quite a while.

Looking for recommendations for an underquilt as well as a rain fly and bug net set up. Son is turning 14 in a week or so and I thought this would be a good idea (since he has everything else).

I made hammocks for the four of us a few years ago with directions and information from this forum. I used the table cloths. I was hoping hubby and son would embrace them and use them for Boy Scout camping, but with out an underquilt, rain fly and bug netting it just isn't practical.

Hubby is now the Scoutmaster and plans to push the Troop to do more camping.

So, can I get a recommendation for the above products? I would prefer to support a business that supports this forum. My second choice would be a small ma and pa type shop. My last choice would be a big box store. Quality is preferred. What features do I need to look for? Budget is negotiable, but don't mind spending money for the right equipment.

We live in the Midwest and camping would be primarily in the Midwest and minimal camping up in the boundary waters.

THANKS!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Underground Quilts, Warbonnet Outdoors, Locolibre, Hammock Gear are all cottage vendors that produce quilts as a couple of them produce tarps as well.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    If you had 12 weeks to order, I'd surely advise you to make Loco Libre Gear the first place you looked for a top-quality underquilt. If you are lucky, they might have a suitable UQ discounted and ready to ship in their quilt blowout section

https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...=0&sort=normal

I believe JacksRBetter.com, the guys credited with bringing the original vendor-made hammock underquilt to market, keep ready-to-ship down UQs on the shelf. A Greylock 3 might be just the ticket...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/greylock-3/

For a quality custom hammock tarp delivered in one week delivered in one week, I can personally recommend the renown Simply Light Designs, where Jared runs a one-man operation that is second to none...

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...hp/cPath/22_40

For other excellent vendor-made tarps that are ready to ship right off the shelf, try Dutchware Gear and the aforementioned JRB... (I wish UGQ Outdoor still had ready-to-ship hex tarps, or I'd definitely include them here.)

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...shelter/tarps/
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com

For bug nets, any of the vendors mentioned above (with the exception of LLG) should have something that will work for you. Fronkey-style nets are popular, and there are complete mesh hammock socks as well...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Time sensitive - birthday fast approaching- looking for equipment recommendations

I second the Loco Libre recommendation. I have been sleeping on one all winter in MN and the design and quality is top notch. I just love that feeling of crawling into the hammock and getting wrapped in downy wonderland knowing I will be toasty all night.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Yes indeed, If you need something right away, Dutchware or Warbonnet and JacksrBetter usually have what you need in stock ready to ship. If you are looking to order a custom quilt or hammock and have 4 weeks or more, then you will be pleased with Locolibre or Underground Quilts for insulation needs and Tarps. Dream Hammock is what I have, and I love the custom options from them, but there is a month or so wait for a custom hammock to be shipped. Enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    As others have already mentioned, Loco Libre is a fantastic choice for underquilts. I believe Hammock Gear also has some ready-made UQs available on their website. I would also recommend Arrowhead Equipment, if you're interested in synthetic underquilts. Their shipping is very fast.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We keep on top of orders and our current order to ship time is under 24 hours currently.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

For underquilts or top quilts I have experience with Arrowhead Equipment (Jarbidge underquilt) and Jacks R Better (Hudson River top quilt). Both are excellent products (as are others recommended by other posters).

For a bugnet, I'd suggest Dutchware because that's the only one with which I have experience.

For a tarp, the choices are endless. I've got tarps from Hammockgear and Jacks R Better and like both. I've also got a Hennessey hex tarp which is a good value, but weighs a bit more than the other two. The Hennessy might be a good choice for you because it's big and comes with all the lines already attached and the price is generally lower than others of a similar size - and I believe they keep them in stock.

I wish I had more experience with other vendors. My ultimate goal, I think, is to buy from as many DIFFERENT cottage vendors as I can and I appear to be well on the way. Good luck with your search.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of the responses. I have been reviewing and reading and looking at all of the options and now I have no idea what I need to purchase. I don't know what will work with our homemade hammocks. I don't know what extra cordage I need to purchase, if any. I guess I am not prepared to know what I need to purchase to make this work.

For an under quilt, I think I would prefer down. I don't understand why a lot of them are only partial length. Don't people want their legs and feet covered as well? My son is probably 5'6" and will be turning 14 next month. I don't want him to out grow a smaller quilt. I think I want something full length. If I need to order something and wait, then we will.

As far as a tarp. I think previously I had read that the hexagon shaped tarps were the most versatile ones, but now there are so many options. How do I know what to look for? Can you stand up in one, plus have the ends kind of close up for a little privacy? How do I know which ones will work with the home made hammock? I don't believe we have ridgelines, so is that something additional I need to purchase or make?

I am over whelmed with the options. I had no idea it would be this hard to figure out. I think I just need someone to say for a Boy Scout just starting out hammock camping purchase this tarp, this bug net and this under quilt. I mean honestly, what if he decides that he doesn't want to hammock camp? Then I have spent so much money and more stuff in the gear closet. What if they go to a place that doesn't have trees spaced well for a hammock, then what?

I guess I need to do a lot more research.

Again, thanks for all of the input!!!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    For an under quilt, I think I would prefer down. I don't understand why a lot of them are only partial length. Don't people want their legs and feet covered as well? My son is probably 5'6" and will be turning 14 next month. I don't want him to out grow a smaller quilt. I think I want something full length. If I need to order something and wait, then we will.
    Of interest to hammock newcomers, insulating the legs fully is less important than insulating the torso fully, especially in warmer conditions. Therefore, many hangers save on pack volume and carry weight with a partial length underquilt. Just how "partial" is up to personal preference, and depending upon conditions and the metabolism of the user, a closed cell foam pad under the legs is used to supplement the UQ. Personally, I like to use a generous full-length (and fairly wide) underquilt below about 40F and a partial-length (50" to 60") UQ in warmer weather. I carry a small CCF sit pad and a down pillow to give me extra insulation wherever a short underquilt won't. HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast