SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps

Which Tarp to Choose....

I picked up a couple of Campmor tarps a year or so ago for my son and I as we were accumulating our hammock rigs. They have served well in the style of camping we've been doing. As I posted in another thread though, I exceeded the abilities of one of the tarps during our latest snow and as minor and recoverable as that gear malfunction was I figure I'll use it as an excuse to look into another tarp. So here is my analysis so far as I weed through all the options. As with most research, there is statistical analysis and then there is reality. I would be interested to hear where reality may trump statistics from you guys with hands on knowledge of the products. The following table is sorted by Price ascending and sqft descending. I pulled the data from the manufacturers web sites but please correct any that is incorrect.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the ones that stand out in the selection.

Clearly the Mosquito Diamond is a good deal. Low cost, fairly light (compared to the 2 lb. campmor tarp) and CAMO. It appears to have reinforced webbing tie outs. The negative (and very small negative at that) I see is you can't really hang it any way except on the diamond.

The Superfly has side tie outs that are a very nice feature to gain a bit more room inside. Is the extra side coverage worth 15 less sqft and $80 dollars more?

The Speer Winter Tarp is really nice with the ability to close off the ends.
    Last edited by cavscout; 02-16-2010 at 13:37.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I own and use 5 of the tarps you have listed; both WBs, both OES, and the SWT. Not real sure you could make a bad choice from that list.

The SuperFlies with removable doors are mighty handy. The flexibility is nice to have and the sealing doors are just icing on the cake. The sidewall tie-outs are what I understand to raise the cost as they are time consuming and from what I hear, a PITA. I've successfully used Grip Clips to accomplish the same thing at a whole lot less cost, but there is risk. A couple of my tarps have some cosmetic blemishes from the Clips sliding. They are only cosmetic, but it still hurts my feelings to have a scarred up tarp. Just a friendly warning.

What is your "style" of camping you mentioned. That might help.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The BWDG Winter Dream is another to consider. It is 11x13, $110. I've been using this tarp for a few months now and really like it. I haven't had any snow around here but it holds up well in the constant rain and has kept me quite dry. The end flaps are deigned to close up completely and work very well at keeping the wind out.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Speer Winter Tarps in sharkskin gray are on closeout.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Check out the Back Woods Winer Dream V2 Model, I got the side pull outs, the Doors are straight cut to get a great full closure, check out my pics and reviews, I would def throw this one into the mix and give it a serious consideration.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14525
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not real sure you could make a bad choice from that list.

What is your "style" of camping you mentioned. That might help.
    I find that to be the case very often when buying products made by the people who use them. It's a good thing as Martha Stewart would say

My "style" would be 2 3 day trips typically but most recently, anything less than 1/2" of snow

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    My "style" would be 2 3 day trips typically but most recently, anything less than 1/2" of snow
    Mostly fair weather?

Having not used the JRB stuff extensively and not having any experience (yet) with the Winter Dream Tarp, I'd say if you're looking for the most flexibility of seasonal camping then look at the larger 'winter' models. The extra weight penalty isn't much for the length of time you usually go out, but the coverage is amazing when the weather turns sour; summer or winter. If I could only pick one style of tarp, it would be a winter model of some sort.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    zpacks 4 season
    Insulation
    nunatak tq / HG uq
    Suspension
    whoopies
    just an fyi........

backwoods has a message on their sales page they are in the process of moving and "shutdown" til march and not taking orders except for bulk silnylon purchases....

randy
    ohio

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The sidewall tie-outs are what I understand to raise the cost as they are time consuming and from what I hear, a PITA.
    You can say that again! A real pain. It's my least favorite part of the tarp building process. That said - about 80% of my customers have them added - and I highly recommend it, as much as I hate doing it.

Also - I wonder about the breakdown on that Diamond Mosquito Hammock tarp. Is it 10' wide, or 10' on the edge? If it's 10' wide, and 13' ridgeline, then don't forget to remove the four corners for the square footage. That'll change your numbers a bit. Still, you can't beat the price.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sedohr View Post
    just an fyi........

backwoods has a message on their sales page they are in the process of moving and "shutdown" til march and not taking orders except for bulk silnylon purchases....

randy
    ohio
    Yup, we're taking a hiatus on orders right now - I hope we can sell soon and be moved sometime in March.

Sorry to all you waiting to order. I'll make it clear when we're back up and running (and there will also be some new features at that time as well).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast