Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    Rain Man and I will be backpacking the JMT together along with another friend from California. Although I'm still debating on tree vs. ground, I'm leaning towards ground at this point largely due to the shortage of trees already mentioned.

I've watched several documentaries and vids on the JMT and I haven't seen anyone hammocking yet. As a matter of fact, all of the tents I've seen are "freestanding" tents. So, now I'm wondering if the rocky terrain at higher elevation will make it hard to set tent stakes for a lightweight hiking pole tent where tent stakes are a necessity.

Can anyone that's done the JMT shed any light on this?

The wife and I did the JMT last year.

I've set up a lightweight hiking pole tent above Guitar Lake without any stakes. The site was on a flat solid rock slab. Anticipating this need, I brought along extra guy line to tie around rocks, to use as anchors. It worked just fine. I'll see if i can find some photos.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    The wife and I did the JMT last year.

I've set up a lightweight hiking pole tent above Guitar Lake without any stakes. The site was on a flat solid rock slab. Anticipating this need, I brought along extra guy line to tie around rocks, to use as anchors. It worked just fine. I'll see if i can find some photos.
    Great idea on the extra guy line for either tarp or tent setup in that area. Would love to see pics...seems it would be hard to take a bad one along the JMT.

This was my setup - I brought along a bunch of Zing-it/Lash-it and ran them from my trekking poles to the large granite boulders. Ran my Warbonnet Superfly between the 2 poles and done.

Great idea on the extra guy line for either tarp or tent setup in that area. Would love to see pics...seems it would be hard to take a bad one along the JMT.
    20160813_174656-COLLAGE.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    This was my setup - I brought along a bunch of Zing-it/Lash-it and ran them from my trekking poles to the large granite boulders. Ran my Warbonnet Superfly between the 2 poles and done.
    Nice! Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    Nice fotos Natemeister. My daughter and I plan to hammock my third and final section this summer as well, MTR to Whitney. Every campsite from Happy Isle to MTR definitely hammock friendly. Have you watched Shug's video on setting up hammock/tarp on the ground. Great insight and his carabiner trick for adjusting the ridgeline has helped me in several situations.
    If you're still on the fence about bringing the hammock, I have a MSR Thru-hiker mesh tent 3 person, used once, I'd make you a deal on. It's 17 oz. but you'll miss your hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkayaker View Post
    Nice fotos Natemeister. My daughter and I plan to hammock my third and final section this summer as well, MTR to Whitney. Every campsite from Happy Isle to MTR definitely hammock friendly. Have you watched Shug's video on setting up hammock/tarp on the ground. Great insight and his carabiner trick for adjusting the ridgeline has helped me in several situations.
    If you're still on the fence about bringing the hammock, I have a MSR Thru-hiker mesh tent 3 person, used once, I'd make you a deal on. It's 17 oz. but you'll miss your hammock.
    Although I haven't made up my mind yet, I'm leaning towards hammock at this point. I really appreciate the input. I've never worked a tarp ground setup while hammocking. I'm assuming I'd have to figure out a pad system on the ground...but I could include the pad in my last resupply so I'm not lugging it around when not needed.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    My daughter and I are using 90* Hammocktent 2.0 and since they use a pad, it’s easier to go to ground, if needed. I will practice setting everything up on the ground before we embark on our trip. The 2.0 has 4 loops on the corners for securing to the tarp stakes. A ground sheet should be used as well beneath the hammock.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm torn, too, and like your idea of using re-supply box to make a switch. Don't really care for idea of carrying two systems because of excess weight. A switch would allow me to hammock and cowboy camp both.

Although I haven't made up my mind yet, I'm leaning towards hammock at this point. I really appreciate the input. I've never worked a tarp ground setup while hammocking. I'm assuming I'd have to figure out a pad system on the ground...but I could include the pad in my last resupply so I'm not lugging it around when not needed.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

It was my last night and I cowboy camped right on top of the ground, on top of my hiking partner's tent footprint.
    You could send a small air pad, like a half air pad and save some weight, or one of those Klymit air pads with holes throughout the pad. Personally, I only need an air pad that goes from my knees to my head, something like this: https://www.klymit.com/inertia-x-wav...eping-pad.html

Honestly, by the time you get to MTR for your resupply, you will have covered 100 miles and be ready to carry an extra pound, easily. You'll have your hiker legs
    I was coming out of MTR with over 40 pounds lol. Even had a bottle of wine that I shared with others at the next campsite, on condition that they bring it back to MTR to throw away.

P1060647-COLLAGE.jpg

You could also stop short of Guitar Lake, about a mile or two, and hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm torn, too, and like your idea of using re-supply box to make a switch. Don't really care for idea of carrying two systems because of excess weight. A switch would allow me to hammock and cowboy camp both.

I did JMT in '88. So many majestic views.
    Have fun either way.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast