Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have a loop of fairly thick shock cord permanently attached to my stakes, which I larkshead onto my guy lines. My tarp and lines stretch tiny bit when wet (time for an upgrade) and this takes care of that.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just have 8" loops of shock cord tied to the tarp and stake those directly to the ground. Easy as it gets. I have some short lengths of zing it in case I need to add length for some reason but the shock cord loops are usually just fine as long as the ground is close to level.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I do not. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future. The main reason most people like them is to keep a stretchy tarp taut (nylon). I use silpoly which doesn't stretch, and SilvrSurfer's point about them possibly flinging stakes is worth thinking about too. Having a little "give" if you kick a cord is nice though.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’m still on the fence about shock cord. Currently I have a loop of zing-it on my D-rings and use a line-lock hook attached to ties outs on my stakes.

I just ordered some Dutch Hook Worms that I’m going to try instead of the line locks (I’ve found they slip a little too much for my liking on zing-it) and I’m adding a loop of shock cord to the D-rings. I’ll can go back and forth between the shock cord or zing-it as needed until I figure out which way I like the best.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    The main reason most people like them is to keep a stretchy tarp taut (nylon). I use silpoly which doesn't stretch, and SilvrSurfer's point about them possibly flinging stakes is worth thinking about too. Having a little "give" if you kick a cord is nice though.
    Yep, I like shockcord for the other reasons you mentioned. I have a cuben fiber tarp, so I'm not worried about stretch. I like that a tarp with shock cord has some give to it: if I stand up and push against the top or kick it I'm not going to pull out stakes or mess anything up with the set. Also, it helps with wind noise (which is more of a problem with cuben fiber than silpoly I think.) Thirdly, it lets me pitch with a fixed length loop at the end of my tarp: if the ground isn't quite even there is enough stretch in the loop to handle some variability in height.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Currently I'm using Dutch's Hookworms with the provided shock cord.

I am planning on constructing some theraband tensioners, but I can't decide which resistance rating I should use. I need to find something equivalent to the shock cord, but shock cord is rated by stretch not resistance.

Any experience input?
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I have both silnylon and silpoly tarps, and my method has been sans shock cord: Linelocs with grosgrain loops larksheaded to the tarp loops, Lawson Glowire in the Linelocs, with a bowline loop around the stake. However, I am currently in the process of incorporating shock cord to each of the setups in the form of a loop of shock cord between the tarp tie-out and the Lineloc. Many benefits as chronicled above, whether or not the tarp itself is prone to stretching. I also use shock cord in the hammock tie-outs for obvious reasons, and I will be incorporating the same method as my tarp rig for (sensitive viewers will need to look away) tent panel tie-outs.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
    I use shock cord on mine. It helps with shock when my klutzish self trips over the guy lines instead of potentially ripping out a d-ring or tearing a tarp. I use sil poly for my tarps so stretch really isn't an issues. I'm a big fan of Dutch's tarpworms for putting them on the tarp. They make adjustment extremely easy and incorporate the shock cord right into the design of the guy lines.
    For three seasons I do the same as this ^^ (for cold weather I find the small form factor of tarp worm really tough to work with cold hands... impossible with gloves. I use mini-ucr's in winter and swap out to tarp worms when gloves go away)

I've changed the stock shock cord to reflective cord.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGSmith View Post
    I use small loops of shock-cord on my d-rings. I permanently attach Dutchware hookworms to my timeouts which are permanently attached to my stake. Seems to keep the tarp taunt without causing damage in windy conditions.
    Curious why you permanently attached hook worms as apposed to using tarp worms...
    Last edited by MikekiM; 04-05-2018 at 05:46.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    For three seasons I do the same as this ^^ (for cold weather I find the small form factor of tarp worm really tough to work with cold hands... impossible with gloves. I use mini-ucr's in winter and swap out to tarp worms when gloves go away)

I've changed the stock shock cord to reflective cord.

Curious why you permanently attached hook worms as apposed to using tarp worms...
    Would you mind explaining how you use the mini UCR and how you have them spliced in? I’m starting to become very interested in how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Would you mind explaining how you use the mini UCR and how you have them spliced in? I’m starting to become very interested in how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    UCR's work.
    Here are ones for hammock suspension but would work scaled down.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast