Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
You have to know if it's sil-nylon or if it's polyurethane coated. If the latter, I don't know if that can be repaired. If it's the first, then it's a relatively easy job for any DIYer. Mix clear silicone caulk in glass jar with clear mineral spirits in roughly a 3-to-1 to 5-to-1 ratio of mineral spirits to silicone. (By weight or by volume, doesn't matter as they're close to each other.) Takes a while to get them to mix thoroughly. Use "real" mineral spirits (I found that I had purchased some "new and improved" natural, safe version that was milky white. Didn't work well IMHO.) Use gloves when handling.

Wipe firmly on a small area at a time (at most, I do about 2'x2'). You want to force it into the threads of the fabric, so use pressure. Then before it dries, wipe off the excess, so that there's no "goop" left to dry on as a thick layer on top of the fabric. That's heavy and will peel off. I find myself using lots of old rags (cut up t-shirts, mostly). Let dry thoroughly for several hours or an entire day as necessary, then do the reverse side (at least, I do and definitely on the seams). Let dry very thoroughly.

If you leave too much of the goop on the fabric, or don't let it dry thoroughly, it'll stick to itself in your pack.

I do this every two or three years to my rainflies.
Ty and dscott, I knew it was here, did not say diy sil nylon, so I couldn't find it. I knew it wasn't mineral oil, but also didn't know the ratio. I will give it a run when I get back. I bought the permitex, windshield stuff I use for seem sealing. I will get the 100 silicone and spirits and try.