Hammock
    HH ExpeditAsym
    Tarp
    Stock HH Fly
    Insulation
    ClsdCell Pad 5/8''

HH Expedition with drip rings

**Edit: Title should read Expedition**

Has anyone used the Clark drip rings with HH's? Anything to make setup easier and more intelligent sounds good to me.

Also, maybe they will help when it rains...I don't know, I've not been in the rain in my hammock yet.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Yep. I swapped out my HH suspension to Amsteel and use the drip rings. I like them a lot. The hammock I'm currently in love with has whoopie slings, but the drip rings are a great option as well. Do you still have the original HH suspension ropes on it? I think they might be too thick and stiff for it to work, but ditching those ropes for Amsteel is a great way to lose some pack weight and bulk.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'm assuming you were talking about using them as an adjustable suspension method, as is demonstrated in the video on the Clark website. That's why I use them. They do their work as drip rings as well, but only if the tarp is long enough to prevent rain from falling on the "inboard" side of the drip ring. The stock HH tarp won't always be able to do that.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    HH ExpeditAsym
    Tarp
    Stock HH Fly
    Insulation
    ClsdCell Pad 5/8''
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Yep. I swapped out my HH suspension to Amsteel and use the drip rings. I like them a lot. The hammock I'm currently in love with has whoopie slings, but the drip rings are a great option as well. Do you still have the original HH suspension ropes on it? I think they might be too thick and stiff for it to work, but ditching those ropes for Amsteel is a great way to lose some pack weight and bulk.
    I do still have the original ropes, I'll have to look and see what a whoopie sling is.

Hammock
    HH ExpeditAsym
    Tarp
    Stock HH Fly
    Insulation
    ClsdCell Pad 5/8''
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I'm assuming you were talking about using them as an adjustable suspension method, as is demonstrated in the video on the Clark website. That's why I use them. They do their work as drip rings as well, but only if the tarp is long enough to prevent rain from falling on the "inboard" side of the drip ring. The stock HH tarp won't always be able to do that.
    You assumed correctly, that is the main reason why but I thought it's an added plus that it would prevent rain from entering the hammock.

I do want to get a Hex fly, and figure out how to secure that separately from the hammock so I can maintain a good tight tarp. I think I'm going to experiment with a taut-line hitch (also learned from friends clark jungle hammock) so that I can tighten the tarp suspension after it begins to stretch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Sounds like a plan. If you put tensioners on your tarp guylines, they will pull any slackness in the tarp toward the stakes and keep things pretty taught along the ridge of the tarp. I hope that makes sense.

In the meantime, you could do the same taut-line hitch scenario with your stock HH fly, just add drawcord or something like that to the ends of it and you have a tarp that's independent of the hammock.

• + New Posts