Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sleeping bag for under insulation

I am going to be buying a Henessy Expedition with the Supershelter. My question is this. . .would it not be more effective to use an unzipped 45 degree lightweight sleeping bag in the under cover rather than the open cell pad? I have one that is a 45-50 degree bag designed as a stand alone bag or liner for heavier systems.

Would not a sleeping bag do the same thing as an under quilt?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    A sleeping bag will help but when you get into cold weather camping it won't work as well as a pad or underquilt.

The reason? The bag will compress when you lay in it. This won't be apparent when you crawl in it - but when it cools down in the morning the cold spots will become more noticeable

I used a pad and bag my first season hanging - it worked, was inexpensive - but overall was sort of a pain (my SBB doesn't have two layers for a pad) so there was a lot of sliding, trying to align the pad just right, etc.

I've since gotten a KAQ and it was well worth the investment!

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    If I understand correctly the OP was referring to using a SB in the place of an UQ. If so, the compression of the insulation would not be an issue and you should be able to stay reasonably warm.

I admit I'm looking for an inexpensive option for TQ and UQ and have considered doing what (I believe) the OP asked - suspend an open SB under the hammock. Usne another open SB ans a TQ and yer done.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    My friend actually just made his sleeping bag into an underquilt. I haven't talked to him about the results. Only difference is that it's a lightweight sleeping bag and he's using it indoors -- although his basement does get pretty chilly at night.

One thing I was a little unsure of (This goes for ALL underquilts), is how do you keep the UQ/SB nice and snug against the bottom of the hammock? At least without having extra supports via the ridgeline (that's what mine currently has, haha.)

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post
    I am going to be buying a Henessy Expedition with the Supershelter. My question is this. . .would it not be more effective to use an unzipped 45 degree lightweight sleeping bag in the under cover rather than the open cell pad? I have one that is a 45-50 degree bag designed as a stand alone bag or liner for heavier systems.

You could put the sleeping bag (SB) between the UC and hammock, but the UC is designed to allow enogh space for the OCP and and a space blanket. There is some adjustment to the UC but not allot. The SB will get compressed to some extent, and reduce its effectiveness.

The real question is... What is your expectation/ plans for your system? After you know that then you can configure you system to meet that. Meaning... if you plan to do more above freezing hanging or more below freezing hanging.

The SS will work for both temp ranges and several hangers on HF have used it down in to the teens. But this is all subjective to each person on wether they are cold or warm sleepers. The best thing to do is try a setup in the backyard and see how it works.

Do a search and you will find several threads on using/ converting a sleeping bag into a UC. From what I remember the suspension is the tricky part to support the bag.
    You can also search on SS and you find many threads on many hangers experiences with the SS.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    One that works
    Insulation
    H/made underquilt
    Ive got a HH setup, and ive made a UQ from a SB. its held in place by shock cords at each end (this lets me get into the hammock and it just pulls right back where it needs to be) and the sides are held in place by clips at the pullout lines either side. It is just a simple setup and the old SB was just a thin one. As i am a warm sleeper this does me fine down to freezing point. Below that i put a sleeping mat between the UQ and the hammock.This seems not to move about too much in the night. but i do have to have the sleeping bag open as i get a bit hot to start with but then early hours i have to zip it up to get through the rest of the night. I think every one has to find what works for them. Oh i wish one fits all. but it dont and its very much a try it and see job.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Not warm

Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post

That aint warm enough for summer, maybe for late spring its fine.

I was talking about using a lightweight (45 degree Columbia bag) unzipped as insulation between the hammock and the under cover. I have a 45 degree, 15 degree and - 10 degree bag to use inside the hammock depending on temps.

Wouldn't the sleeping bag have the same effect as a down under quilt?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and 'warm enough for summer' depends heavily on where you live, and where you camp out; generally not the same...
    KM (in DFW where 'warm enough for summer' does not compute...)

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    it really depends on if you are squishing the loft of the sleeping bag while in between the undercover and hammock
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast