ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings AHE

Newbe Question

I will be going on a canoe trip to the BWCA in northern Minnesota this June. I will be using my ENO hammock with my Arrowhead New River underquilt. I will be using a 30 deg bag. The temps last year got down to 32 deg one morning and got up to 70 deg during the day. Do I need a pad or is the New River underquilt enough? Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you know how to fit the quilt correctly and are a normal sleeper (i.e. you don't get cold when others are just right), then it's right on the edge of its rating. Hard to say if it'll be enough for you b/c so many things affect it...fit, humidity, your hydration level, what you ate before bed, wind, etc.

So you have two choices...either take something to supplement (like a thin CCF pad) or take your chances. Personally, I'd probably take my chances...if you get cold, just boil up a hot water bottle and it should make you toasty. Or boil one up anyway, without waiting to see if you get cold...always easier to vent in the night than to get up and boil water.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    SV:
    I have a KAQ New River UQ and another one that I use as a TQ as well and have used them down to the mid-20's and been comfortable. I was wearing a lite weight thermal base layer, fleece jacket, wicking socks and dry hiking socks. I was not in an ENO, will do that testing next weekend since I got a ENO DN for an early birthday present. I was in my CJH NX-200 with the weather shield closed, I never woke up cold but I could tell that is was cool inside. I would definitely try your listed set-up on some trial runs to see how comfortable you are............. I hope this helps.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Voyageur View Post
    I will be going on a canoe trip to the BWCA in northern Minnesota this June. I will be using my ENO hammock with my Arrowhead New River underquilt. I will be using a 30 deg bag. The temps last year got down to 32 deg one morning and got up to 70 deg during the day. Do I need a pad or is the New River underquilt enough? Thanks for the help.
    Although it is not rare to see mid-30 degree lows, what is more typical are lows in the 40's. I think your UQ will be sufficient. If it gets "really" cold, wear additional clothes to bed. Most of my summer-time travel in the BWCA and Quetico has been with a 35 degree bag. I think you'll be fine.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts