Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch system
    I was trying to decide between 11 and 12 ft for my new HG cuben fiber tarp. But, as stated by someone on another thread......Lots of Superfly owners seem to be happy with their tarps that are 11 ft. This made sense to me because I own a Superfly and a Dutchware xenon hex tarp that are both 11 foot and all my hammocks are 11 ft. I've never gotten wet with either of those tarps. So, I went with the 11 ft. It should be here this week.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It doesn't really matter as long as you offset it a little like this:

I probably could have moved the hardware to make the "v" larger and get the strap thru there, but this was just as easy. Of course there's a point where it can simply be so long that it hits the suspension no matter what, but that would be a crazy sized tarp.
    So in bad weather how close do your hammock suspension straps come to your tarp? Do you just tighten down the tarp tie outs enough to bring it down to the suspension line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel88 View Post
    I was trying to decide between 11 and 12 ft for my new HG cuben fiber tarp. But, as stated by someone on another thread......Lots of Superfly owners seem to be happy with their tarps that are 11 ft. This made sense to me because I own a Superfly and a Dutchware xenon hex tarp that are both 11 foot and all my hammocks are 11 ft. I've never gotten wet with either of those tarps. So, I went with the 11 ft. It should be here this week.
    That’s good to hear and seems to be the common experience. It looks like I’ll be testing my setup out the next day we have rain, which right now looks like Sunday.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RunNHang View Post
    So in bad weather how close do your hammock suspension straps come to your tarp? Do you just tighten down the tarp tie outs enough to bring it down to the suspension line?
    In this specific photo, the right side is already down. The left side is in porch mode, but if I had to close the doors I would just take the poles out and stake that side steep as well. I know a lot of people get the tarp low in bad weather but I never saw a need. I still keep it at a comfortable height which gives about 8-10" off the ground.

I never had my tarp near my hammock suspension line in 6 years, that's just crazy close IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    In this specific photo, the right side is already down. The left side is in porch mode, but if I had to close the doors I would just take the poles out and stake that side steep as well. I know a lot of people get the tarp low in bad weather but I never saw a need. I still keep it at a comfortable height which gives about 8-10" off the ground.

I never had my tarp near my hammock suspension line in 6 years, that's just crazy close IMO.
    That’s good to hear about the tarp not needing to be so close to the suspension. Thank you!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My personal belief is an 11' tarp with an 11' hammock. If set up properly there is more than enough coverage. If you use a 12' tarp then the hammock hangs lower to accommodate the hammock suspension. You can tighten the suspension which will raise the hammock for side wind protection. In foul weather I may choose to suck the hammock higher even with a 11' tarp for more wind protection. This of course changes the hammock ridge line tension which may be less comfortable. If you use drip lines close to the hammock and not a continuous ridge line running under the tarp, it should keep you dry.

Yesterday I tested out my system in what turned out to me torrential rain! And, success! This morning I still had a dry hammock. Now, I wasn’t in it so that will introduce another variable, but I’m happy with my results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12