Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2 oz HEX70
    Insulation
    SLD TrailWinder UQ

Question for those who sew

This is not a "what machine should I buy" post. Rather it's an "is this machine worth following up on" post. Here's the link:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/art/d...558267806.html

For context, I'm looking to buy a starter sewing machine - mostly for my 10 year old daughter to learn on. But also so I can learn to make some gear!

I know nothing about sewing machines except for reading I've started doing here so I'm hoping those in the know may be able to offer a quick thumbs up or down on whether this machine may be something worth looking into.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by discmonkey View Post
    This is not a "what machine should I buy" post. Rather it's an "is this machine worth following up on" post. Here's the link:

https://boulder.craigslist.org/art/d...558267806.html

For context, I'm looking to buy a starter sewing machine - mostly for my 10 year old daughter to learn on. But also so I can learn to make some gear!

I know nothing about sewing machines except for reading I've started doing here so I'm hoping those in the know may be able to offer a quick thumbs up or down on whether this machine may be something worth looking into.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes: condition seems fine (from pictures + vendor's words). The machine can do various stitch types which can provide you with more longer lasting machine (for the more difficult projects).

No: Within a similar price range (say $80-100.00) you can get a similar machine, but new (and therefore with warranty)

It would be interesting to see it in person, maybe look it up online and try to haggle the price down a bit. If it's a moving out sale you might be able to knock $15 off and spend those on fabric and thread

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Costco has beginner Machines at about that price NEW.

If you shop used Thread Injectors, take someone with you who sews. Take scraps of different fabric, thread, universal bobin, universal sewing machine needles and extension cord.

There are some great videos on Ebay on testing sewing machines. The video's are ment to sell machines, however they show the peofessional seller p
    Clearly putting the machine through its paces.

Really as a novice a very basic thread injector with a Guarantee or Warranted to work for a reasonable length of time.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2 oz HEX70
    Insulation
    SLD TrailWinder UQ
    Thanks for the input, that's all great advice! I appreciate it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks decent but in that price range you could get something similar new with warranty. For you, the numerous stitches are not necessary but they may be fun for your daughter. Ask around your family and friends and chances are you can get a machine for free.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Check with your local community college. Some of them have classes on how sew. I was the first male to take such a class at our local community college. Instructor said all she had was a bunch of flowery fabrics for the class. I told her not a problem and then pulled out some camo fabric and I used it for all our projects.

Check WallMart and or your local fabric store and look for some cheap fabric you can use to practice on. Making stuff sacks is a great way to learn how to use your machine. You will make mistakes. Your seams will not be perfect. As long as it works that's all that matters.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

FWIW, I just bought a brand new heavy duty Singer (the base model with only 11 stitches) for $97 on Amazon with free shipping. It's hard to beat that.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 2.2 oz HEX70
    Insulation
    SLD TrailWinder UQ
    Good points, everyone. Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    You may want to try some local sewing machine stores for trade ins. I got a completely serviced, heavy duty vintage machine for $50. That included a couple sewing lessons, free trouble shooting for operator failure, and several years of reliable sewing hammock tarps, quilts and camping gear. Machine still running strong and I've been doing some heavy canvas and light leather with it. Can handle microtex through #18 needles with upholstery thread.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts