dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I know I was wanting to try this b/c I was going to try to use my ATHH as a tarp and I think this would make it easier to adjust it over my SBPro.
    Chris

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soysos View Post
    exactly attach both corners on each side to the stakes at the foot end, after placing your stakes at the head end. then if you wake up to the sounds of rain, I usually hear it on the trees before it hits me, and attach the guylines on the head end.
    I can do something similar without the ridgeline too. I set the tarp, then take one side off the stakes and toss it over the top and attach to the other side's stakes (so that I have a lean-to type shelter). If it rains, I can move it back. Same concept I think.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    the cheapest thing I could find
    Tarp
    gi poncho
    Insulation
    mss
    Suspension
    braided cord
    ya but you have to get out of the hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    How do you attach the tarp guylines without leaving the hammock?
    That one might warrant a video demo.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Cannibal beat me to it.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hey NCPatrick, nice of you to start this thread, I dident want to hijack the other one either. I am very new to hammocking and I have only set up my tarp 3 times. 1st time I used tie outs dirrectly from the tarp to tree, never again will I use this method or at least not for a winter tarp, a smaller summer tarp mabey more manageable but it was a PITA IMHO with a winter tarp. It flapped, I stepped on it, tripped over it, couldent get the cord around the tree, couldent get it taught enough or in the right position under my hammock, I DUNO mabey it was just me and it was my first time playing with my tarp. The second and thrid time I used an over the tarp ridge line and it was so much easier, Just binered one end and figured nine the other end of the RL to get it taught. Had two S clips, (when I packed my tarp away I made sure one of the S clips was sticking out of stuff sack for easy attachment to the prusick), clipped to pursick pulled out while walking away from tarp towards other pursick (prevented me from tripping or stepping on it) and cliped second S biner to pursick knot. Adjusted so it fit under my hammock and walla, very little fussing. Now their is some weight penalities like having to carry 2 S biners, a figure nine, extra cord but IMHO these are minimal in comparison to the ease of this set up and could have dual use. I havent tried a under tarp ridgeline yet but I assume it will have the same ease. ID try every thing then decide. I also carry xtra cord with me any ways and plan on just tieing a piece of cord underneath my tarp for a close lines any ways, this will not help stablize the tarp but will only act as a cloths line. And to echo what ive been told so many times, try it all and pick what works best for you,
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Single Ridge Line Benefits:
    - less stress on tarp
    - ability to hang things from line under tarp
    - setup can be easier in windy conditions (drape tarp over line)
    - better for hanging clothes to dry on as you're not adding stress to the tarp this way
    - ability to cut out the middle section if you NEED a bit of line and will still work as double line version

Double Line Benefits:
    - lighter, less bulk (maybe negligible, but it should be counted)
    - um, I thought I'd be able to come up with more pretty quick... can anyone help here?

I like both, and use both. I guess though, if I'm honest, I find more benefits to the single ridgeline system.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    lazy river road, were you using Fig 9s when you tried it without the ridgeline? I can get there about the blowing around, stepping on, and tripping over but with the Fig 9s adjusting the position of the tarp and getting it VERY taught just couldn't be easier.

I like the flapping of the tarp when I'm setting up, keeps me on my toes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hey NCPatrick, nice of you to start this thread, I dident want to hijack the other one either. I am very new to hammocking and I have only set up my tarp 3 times. 1st time I used tie outs dirrectly from the tarp to tree, never again will I use this method or at least not for a winter tarp, a smaller summer tarp mabey more manageable but it was a PITA IMHO with a winter tarp. It flapped, I stepped on it, tripped over it, couldent get the cord around the tree, couldent get it taught enough or in the right position under my hammock, I DUNO mabey it was just me and it was my first time playing with my tarp. The second and thrid time I used an over the tarp ridge line and it was so much easier, Just binered one end and figured nine the other end of the RL to get it taught. Had two S clips, (when I packed my tarp away I made sure one of the S clips was sticking out of stuff sack for easy attachment to the prusick), clipped to pursick pulled out while walking away from tarp towards other pursick (prevented me from tripping or stepping on it) and cliped second S biner to pursick knot. Adjusted so it fit under my hammock and walla, very little fussing. Now their is some weight penalities like having to carry 2 S biners, a figure nine, extra cord but IMHO these are minimal in comparison to the ease of this set up and could have dual use. I havent tried a under tarp ridgeline yet but I assume it will have the same ease. ID try every thing then decide. I also carry xtra cord with me any ways and plan on just tieing a piece of cord underneath my tarp for a close lines any ways, this will not help stablize the tarp but will only act as a cloths line. And to echo what ive been told so many times, try it all and pick what works best for you,
    Sure thing (re: starting the thread).

And yeah, your method sounds reasonably easy. That is a bit of hardware to carry around, but if it works, it works.

I've been happy with figure 9's. I can take one tie-out with figure 9 out of the stuff sack, attach it, and then walk to the other tree, letting the tarp out of the sack as I walk, then attach the other end with figure 9. Reverse for taking down. Or to be really easy, use snakeskins. Attach one end, attach other end, then open snakeskins and stake out sides.

I agree with Cavscout (other thread) that one instance in which I think having the separate ridgeline would be easier is when you don't leave yourself enough line for the far end. In that case already having the ridgeline attached separately would be nice.

In my case above I must go back to the first tree, adjust the line, and then back again to the second tree to see if I have left enough line yet.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    So what benefits do you get from having a separate tarp ridgeline vs. not having one?
    as cannibal noted:

-easier to set up in the wind,
    -clothes line (especially useful now that I'm in a bridge and not my BB),
    -I'll also drape my bug screen over it in the warm months when the bugs come out,
    -if I had a top-cover for extreme cold weather I could use the ridge line under the tarp to suspend it from,
    -"reefing" for quick setup if I chose to go that route.
    -easier for me to center my tarp over the hammock rather than center the hammock under the tarp.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast