Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Once again, thank you for all the info and keep em coming please, very helpfull for a first timer like me (who is sick of building shelter and sleeping on the ground!) and you guys know way more than me on the subject .

At the end to my 1st day of searching for my hammock of choice, here is my list:

1) Claytors JUNGLE HAMMOCK (this is going to win so far, if i dont find anything else better regarding my needs..)

2) Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.7oz (I still need more info, im not convince about the design so far .. reviews are really positive.. but I didnt studied it enough)

2) DD Hammock (got discourage from reading many problem post, bad sewing, bad this bad that.. and that was my first choice! I still like it but the Claytors looks better and is 20$ cheaper.. )

3) Hennessy Hammock (good choice but not for what i need to do as a first time hammock user)

Clark is just to pricy

What do you think, since you now know me very well (haha, not really, but got an idea of what im looking for)

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    I vote for WBBB (2) or HH (4). DD problems were actually, if im not mistaken, just a problem with a group buy which apparently received seconds.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles
    the blackbird freakin rules!!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Take a serious look at the Tree to Tree, Switchback.... Far and away it is the roomiest of the hammocks suggested... extremely well made too.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Hello, Dburn.. I second the DD hammock as a viable choice. The seconds that we received in a group buy are not the regular hammocks delivered on line. The Front Line is shorter than the Claytor, by 1 foot, but wider by 6 inches They are both very strong hammocks, and can be winterized quite inexpensively by the use of blue ccf pads from Canadian Tire. comment ca va?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

positive feedback on the BB

"All the positive feedback on the BB". i'd be cautious about that, probably something wrong with it, like the tendency to sleep in and not want to get up. (-;
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    If you are on a limited budget I would look at the Claytor Jungle Hammock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    This community is great, thank you all for your answer and dont be shy to keep it coming, im a scorpio and take a freakin long time deciding what I buy (I like to be sure)

For all of those you vote for a Blackbird.. please elaborate why is it superior or why is it great according to you... tonight, i'll check more deeply into the BB. The Claytor still seem a good answer for a gentleman my size.. the good price.. the room it give (i want to be able to move a little and not feel like a hanged coffin. I saw 2 videos and the only thing I have seen is a space for your foot on the right size... nothing to write my mother about if you ask me... then again, Im new to hammocking and I will not buy all 4 just to try em..

Thank you OldnSlow for keeping the DD flame burning, sometime i think I have found THE one, and then, i get lost in thread post and bad luck from a few others.. and I wasn't looking at the Frontline anymore since i noticed a new 2010 version of the DD on their web site

To rigidpsycho: the size is great, the price is great too.. but never heard of this one.. and don't see any weight limit on it (and it is sadly a factor for me)

I have put a #2 on the BB and the DD since they got equal chance so far to win my vote. And to answer to mbiraman.. hehe.. im sure they are all pretty much have a chance of me, not wanting to get up
    Last edited by DocBurN; 02-18-2010 at 10:54.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    If it's room you're looking for, you might want to consider a Switchback from Tree to Tree http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=switchback

Although I've never seen one, everyone raves about the roominess.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well, I didn't say Blackbird solely because of the choices you had made prior to posting. While I don't think the Blackbirds are the best choice for a straight sleeper, I do happen to think they are the best hammock on the market today. JMO (just my opinion).

They are very roomy inside. That little section for your feet on the right side does wonders for opening-up the rest of the hammock. The comfort level is exquisite. I don't have a hammock that matches it in that regard. For all the comfort and room you will pay a bit of a weight penalty, but it is one of the fairest trades out there. Then there's the storage shelf. Ahhhh, the shelf! I love that thing. You mentioned taking 'tools' to bed with you. I won't ask because I don't want to know, but that shelf will most likely accommodate your take-to-bed-supplies.

The Switchback is probably a close second in that style of hammock to me. It is VERY roomy, probably more so than the Blackbirds. It has netting that can be lifted away from the hammock if you so choose, adequate storage, and a fair weight. It does provide a pretty flat lay. Not quite as much as the Blackbirds, but very close.

The best thing about both of these hammocks is that neither are made in some great production facility. They are both very much cottage shops. I've been to the Warbonnet 'factory'. It's actually the attached garage of Brandon's house. I assume the Switchback is lovingly crafted under similar conditions. Both outfits are great with their customers. In fact, if you aren't careful when you call, both of them can take up a lot of your time just talkin hammocks. There are worse things to experience with hammock vendors, trust me.

Another real plus is the value they both retain. Blackbirds for sale do not last very long and often sell for very near the purchase cost. I can't recall seeing a Switchback for sale yet, which tells me they will probably do just as well on the used market. That's good news if you decide you don't like it after you get one. A posting in the For Sale forum here will get the product off your hands and have you ready to start shopping again.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast