Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

July 2018 Bob Marshall---Through-Hike.

Hello!

I am planning to through-hike the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex from the East side to the West side in July 2018.

My route covers about 55 to 60 miles and includes a few miles of The Chinese Wall. (The route is the shortest through-hike I could figure out that includes a chunk of The Chinese Wall.)

I expect to allow ten days, with the longest day being likely the first day, about 12 miles.

Who knows, might finish in eight or nine days but I am not in a hurry.

The trek might include a zero day about in the middle, or one or more scenic, one-day, side jaunts, e.g., Bungalow Mountain Overlook.

I am 66, slow, and I like to stop and snack, take pictures, and just plain marvel at the scenery.

Get back to me if you want to discuss the idea of going along on the trek.

Use a Private Message.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That should be an amazing trip BBQDad. You have the right idea, take your time and enjoy life.
    I'm hoping to get out to Glacier National Park next year.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Thanks, LuvmyBonnet.

I hope I can find someone, or maybe a couple of someones, to go with me.

If you know anyone who is interested, let them know about me.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Wish it wasnt so far from Kentucky! I would co.pletely br up for it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I spent a decade working in the Bog Marshes as a pup. I would thoroughly enjoy an opportunity to revisit some of my old stomping grounds. I was back along the Wall around 2007-8 on an east side loop that went in Benchmark along the Wall; into the South Fork; up the White River country and back out (i'd have to fire up the picture drive to remember exactly when). Now that I moved from Bozeman over into the Bitterroot south of Missoula, the Bob country is closer than my usual Yellowstone Ecosystem stomping grounds. I am planning on a number of trips to explore my new backyard in the Bitterroots; Selway-Bitterroots; and the Sapphires. But a sashay into the Bob would be nice.

I am also 66. I tend toward getting up early, cold breakfast, break camp and hit the trail. I usually hike steady with routine breaks, albeit not nearly as fast or steady as back in the day. I pack UL style and sparingly except for the dog food for my main partner, since my wife has crossed over, an excessively friendly border collie. Grunting an overweight pack with all the accouterments and comforts of home can become burdensome and simply ruin a trip in short order, e.g. leave Mountain Wanderer's shovel at home

Speaking of Mountain Wanderer, I would like to be able to try some video stuff like he delights HF folks with....sans banjo.

Our hiking styles are probably different enough that it is possible we may not be hiking together all the time, but could certainly meet at predetermined locations for lunch and camp. August is typically a better weather window in the MT mountains than July, but it can work. Griz and black bear country so packing pepper spray is recommended. Bear safe food storage is mandatory by regulation. Bear country "camping triangle" not optional. Being in shape can make a huge difference in both success and overall enjoyment. Especially considering the elevation change from PA to MT. Serious bike riding is excellent leg conditioner. Not easy to find someone at our age still willing and eager to explore, so I am interested in knowing more and kicking this around. I would like to know more about what route you are thinking about. PS: I'm too old and ate up to sweat the small stuff anymore.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    If you haven't done so already, start your cardio training - heavy cardio workouts. The air is thinner and uphill hiking with a pack gets real hard real fast. If you're used to a 3 mph pace there, you'll be looking at 2 mph or less there.
    I had let mine lax a bit last year before I tried a hike in the Beartooths and it cost me.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Good advice, SnrMoment! I have some experience hiking and backpacking in Montana---enough to know that you are spot-on about the cardio! I have been hiking locally on such hills as we have for several months. I should be OK.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Some random thought...

I have a jetboil, but I am also considering a titanium stove that could burn wood, thereby saving the weight of the fuel. Of course, this would likely extend the time required to boil the water. (I use freeze-dried packets, most all Mountain House, to save on clean-up and reduce food aromas.)

Any considerations pro/con with either method with respect to use in The Bob?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Fuel is plentiful. A wood stove would work fine as it is early in the fire season and unlikely to be restricted. Only downside is gathering fuel, increased time before food is ready to eat, and storing a sooty stove.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Fuel is plentiful. A wood stove would work fine as it is early in the fire season and unlikely to be restricted. Only downside is gathering fuel, increased time before food is ready to eat, and storing a sooty stove.
    OlTrailDog:

I have given this a bit of thought and have decided not to decide until I get to the trail head and see if any fire restrictions are in place.
    The wood-burner offers light weight---no need to carry fuel.
    The JetBoil offers ease, speed, heat control, cleanliness.
    It might be worth the slight extra weight in order to get done with cooking quickly and easily under virtually any weather conditions in virtually any location.

--- Andy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast