Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings

What did you fiddle with last night

Wife at work, Four hours to myself, an opportunity to fiddle. Ok keep it clean I'm talking gear fiddling. Now while i was in my basement fiddling away it came to me that I was not on my own and that many members of this forum would be doing likewise.

So What did you fiddle with last night was it to pack or repack, improve based on comments/ideas on this forum, carry out testing?

Myself I fiddled with my HH Hex installing a prussic to hold a nine at one end of the ridge line (as seen on Opies latest ridge line) and I played with installing a toggle on the other end but resorted to a small biner to clip the ridge line and tension at the other end. I also played around with options of packing the tarp in skins or stuffed.

I also repacked my Explorer in a larger compression sack to make it easier on the trail to pack up.

So go on guys What did you fiddle with last night?
    Bazza

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    [Myself I fiddled with my HH Hex installing a prussic to hold a nine at one end of the ridge line (as seen on Opies latest ridge line) and I played with installing a toggle on the other end but resorted to a small biner to clip the ridge line and tension at the other end.
    So go on guys What did you fiddle with last night?[/QUOTE]

I really didnt fiddle with anything much, I am interested in your tarp setup. are you using a ridge line over the top of the tarp? I just watched a video by Shug where he showed how to use such a ridge line and prussic knots to make your tarp easily adjustable. I want to know if anyone else does it this way and if it works well.

Images
    i bought a bunch of mesh laundry bags and stored my quilts better.
    ordered the Northern Forest Canoe Trail Guidebookhttps://www.netforumondemand.com/ewe...9-e74ede3f87ed

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i played cut the oz's ......
    went over my pack...again and cut out more stuff i never used

got my base weight down to 11lbs for winter LOL (without food or water)
    i think i'm turning into a Gram Weenie

hope my SN 700 gets here this week so i can mess around with my cooking stuff...still after many many years i'm trying to find a setup i like
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by geomaniac View Post
    [Myself I fiddled with my HH Hex installing a prussic to hold a nine at one end of the ridge line (as seen on Opies latest ridge line) and I played with installing a toggle on the other end but resorted to a small biner to clip the ridge line and tension at the other end.
    So go on guys What did you fiddle with last night?

I really didnt fiddle with anything much, I am interested in your tarp setup. are you using a ridge line over the top of the tarp? I just watched a video by Shug where he showed how to use such a ridge line and prussic knots to make your tarp easily adjustable. I want to know if anyone else does it this way and if it works well.[/quote]

I use a ridge line under the tarp as this gives me a) a back up in to support the tarp if anything breaks at the connection points b) somewhere to hang stuff c) it allows me to push the tarp back on the line if i want to open up my living space on a nice day without the tarp sagging as the ridge line provides support.

I use a bight and a small biner on one end, two prussic knots lashed to the tarp D rings which gives good adaptability and a figure 9 lashed to the ridge line with another Prussic knot which allows for the length to be adjusted very quickly and stops the figure 9 getting lost.

Have a look at Opies new ridge ridge set up its the same but he is using a toggle on one end.
    Bazza

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well let's see ... last night was a productive night. Maybe the blonde wouldn't agree ... but hey

I spent some time on my video editor working on a review effect for a comparision of the Trangia's (military and mini) to the Stainless still knockoff.

AND I completed my PACO (Shug knows what I'm talking about) RIG ... can't wait to try that one. Results to be shown in a video down the line

All this after having to spend the day with customers and getting to stop by Ken's Cave and have a short visit with him in Hickory. Always good to see my buddy Ken! Even when he's up to his nose in work!!!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Yesterday I spent some early birthday money and spent the day in a frenzy on BPlite, Rei, and Prolite trying to piece together a new UL Alcohol cookit.'

Managed to come up with
    Zelph Stove Works SS Starlyte
    Backpackinglight Firelite 475ml Trappers Mug With a DIY pie tin lid
    Snowpeak Ti Chopsticks and Spork (was on sale)
    Nalgene 4oz fuel bottle all of this will fit it in the trappers mug.

Also picked up a OR Seattle Sombrero
    and some parts for a DIY Aquamira/Platypus gravity filter.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well let's see ... last night was a productive night. Maybe the blonde wouldn't agree ... but hey

I spent some time on my video editor working on a review effect for a comparision of the Tirana's (military and mini) to the Stainless still knockoff.

AND I completed my PACO (Shrug knows what I'm talking about) RIG ... can't wait to try that one. Results to be shown in a video down the line

All this after having to spend the day with customers and getting to stop by Ken's Cave and have a short visit with him in Hickory. Always good to see my buddy Ken! Even when he's up to his nose in work!!!
    Are you comparing the Traingia to the Tatonka stove? http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/...nfoc.dll?180&0
    I brought this recently as my very old traingia seemed to burn erratically. I would be interested to see some comparisons. I can boil 1 3/4 cups in seven and half minutes using a Stainless Steel pot/cup with mine. This was indoors with no wind. I love the pot stand that comes with this kit and the Traingia simmer ring fits over the top.

The only issue I have is that you have to make sure the lid is on properly otherwise Heet leakage.
    Bazza

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza2154 View Post
    Are you comparing the Traingia to the Tatonka stove? http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/...nfoc.dll?180&0
    I brought this recently as my very old traingia seemed to burn erratically. I would be interested to see some comparisons. I can boil 1 3/4 cups in seven and half minutes using a Stainless Steel pot/cup with mine. This was indoors with no wind. I love the pot stand that comes with this kit and the Traingia simmer ring fits over the top.

The only issue I have is that you have to make sure the lid is on properly otherwise Heet leakage.
    That's the one ... well I don't know if it's Heet or not but I've not had any leakage with grain alcohol (which is my fuel of choice). As a matter of fact I left the stove upside down ... on a 45 degree angle fully filled in a butter container over blotter paper for three days ... no problem with any leakage.

But if I can get the chance to finish up some filming ... I'll publish the review soon. The stand on the tatonka will take the small Trangia but I'm not completely sold on it yet. Shiny though!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    I finished my re-supply itinerary for a section hike on AT in VA, Mar 30 to Apr 22; completed a check of my food stores; and rechecked map distances to verify daily mileages. Last major item is to check with a couple of shuttle folks so I can drop my truck at Roanoke and get back to Atkins for the start. Have to finish by the 22nd so I can get to Hot Springs for the spring SEHHA on the 23rd.
    Anyone out there doing this part of AT in early April is welcome to tag along.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast