Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can you keep warm sleeping in a hammock in cold weather?

Hi There as its quite hard to do camping in Cold weather I want to know How I can keep myself warm while sleeping in a hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I think the most important tips are:
    Be vigilant about keeping your pajamas DRY.
    Pick a good campsite. Namely one sheltered from the wind. Your tarp is good for blocking wind too. Try to face it perpendicular to the wind.
    Use an underquilt.
    Eat a big dinner. The digestion process will actually warm you up for a portion of the night.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    It also depends on your definition of cold weather. We hammock camped in -6F in Jan. which had special challenges whether hammocking or tenting. Or is cold referencing 30F to 50F? In the latter case most lean towards underquilts that provide protection from wind and heat loss through the fabric. A top quilt/sleeping bag works equally well as in a tent. To keep the wind off of you the tarp can be set up to block most wind. For 30F and up I have no problem using a normal hex cut tarp. If very cold... Like -6, I used a square tarp that has tie outs along the sides and I brought the corners together to make doors. This kept the wind from blasting me directly. Because the tarp is impermeable, it held heat in better than most 3-season tent with mesh tops.

There are ways. Fun is to keep learning. Hope that helped a little.

Also see the sticky on using a hot water bottle to keep you warm: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-To-Stay-Warm

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Insulated military jacket/pants liners over a merino wool base. I'm outside year round here and have a pretty heavy setup of quilts and covers.
    An underquilt protector is mandatory in my book.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get a high quality down top and bottom quilt rated 10 degrees lower than you plan on hanging and you should be good to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    • Good base layer
    • Good top and bottom quilts
    • Protect your set up from wind via tarp coverage and/or natural shelter
    • Eat something just before going to sleep
    • Do something strenuous just before getting in your hammock such as jumping jacks or running on the spot to get your body temperature up
    • Put a hot water bottle like a Nalgene bottle in your hammock before you go to bed to warm up your quilts a little and use the bottle when you're in your hammock to warm spots on your body like your feet or between your legs

The lowest I've ever slept in was -23*F and these tips work for me. I'm no expert but in my experience when it's really cold you are always going to have to contend with being a little cold whether it's your feet, hands, face etc or maybe you don't set up quite right and have to readjust your set up. There are just some aspect of being cold you're going to have to deal with if you want to camp in winter.
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-29-2018 at 22:37.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I don't layer my sleep clothes.

I supplement my top quilt with a fleece liner.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Get a good underquilt and a good top quilt rated appropriately for your usage. If you have the right gear, you will stay warm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    There are a lot of "it depends" in an answer to this question. Not sure what the weather is like in Pakistan, but I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where it gets quite cold. I have made it to -20F (around -29C) by using a down mummy bag inside of a hammock with a high quality, full-length, down underquilt. I take a couple of Nalgene bottles filled with near boiling water in with me, and I often wear a down jacket to bed, along with a balaclava. I have a big tarp with doors for the wind.

I wear synthetic base layers, which I rotate every day before bed to make sure I'm dry. I wear wool on the outside so I can get closer to the fire without melting my clothes.

Some guys would be a sweaty mess in that much down. I'm barely comfortable. A lot of it depends on you and your personal comfort in cold.

Whatever advice you get, remember, there is no substitute for experience. If you're going really cold for the first time, make sure you're safe. Talk to people that go camping where you plan on going, and see what they recommend.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    • Good base layer
    • Good top and bottom quilts
    • Protect your set up from wind via tarp coverage and/or natural shelter
    • Eat something just before going to sleep
    • Do something strenuous just before getting in your hammock such as jumping jacks or running on the spot to get your body temperature up
    • Put a hot water bottle like a Nalgene bottle in your hammock before you go to bed to warm up your quilts a little and use the bottle when you're in your hammock to warm spots on your body like your feet or between your legs

The lowest I've ever slept in was -23*F and these tips work for me. I'm no expert but in my experience when it's really cold you are always going to have to contend with being a little cold whether it's your feet, hands, face etc or maybe you don't set up quite right and have to readjust your set up. There are just some aspect of being cold you're going to have to deal with if you want to camp in winter.
    Good advice here from Bubba.

Hanging around camp I am amazed at how warm my feet are in mukluks as opposed to pack boots.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast