Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Member Tallen2303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Hammock
    Still browsing
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    13

    Mac-Gear 35 Degree Underquilt

    First of all this company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you ask them about a product prior to purchasing it they will email you back almost immediately. If you pay for something and ask about the status you have to send 10 emails and then make a post directly to their Facebook page to get a response (I think comments from the public are now blocked on their page now).

    On to the product. I bought the 35 degree down top and Underquilt. I got them because of the price. I had a few trips coming up and I'm on a budget. After paying for them, hearing nothing, sending 10-15 emails and messages I finally received what I thought I paid for in the mail. The construction is pretty good. They are light. The suspension is different than other underquilts and may be the prouducts downfall. Instead of a draw string on the ends of the underquilt there is just stretchy material to hopefully keep it tight against your hammock. I have taken these out twice now and was freezing both times! The first time was 40 degrees and my back was cold. I could feel every breeze and thought it might be a migrating the down problem. The next time was this last weekend in the Red River Gorge. It was 35 degrees at night and it is easily the coldest I have ever been! My back was freezing, my legs were freezing. There was no amount of adjusting I could do to get comfortable. It sucked...

    I noticed on the tags of both the under and top quilts that they say they are actually 40 degree quilts. They honestly aren't even warm enough for that. I have tried to contact Mac-Gear again from the website itself and their different email addresses listed on the website and they have chose to ignore me. My suggestion, save up and get something better. There is a reason these quilts are so cheap. I made my own from the Costco blankets and the ones I made are warmer and more adjustable. I am going to save up and get something better too and any suggestions would be great.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,133
    Images
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallen2303 View Post
    First of all this company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you ask them about a product prior to purchasing it they will email you back almost immediately. If you pay for something and ask about the status you have to send 10 emails and then make a post directly to their Facebook page to get a response (I think comments from the public are now blocked on their page now).

    On to the product. I bought the 35 degree down top and Underquilt. I got them because of the price. I had a few trips coming up and I'm on a budget. After paying for them, hearing nothing, sending 10-15 emails and messages I finally received what I thought I paid for in the mail. The construction is pretty good. They are light. The suspension is different than other underquilts and may be the prouducts downfall. Instead of a draw string on the ends of the underquilt there is just stretchy material to hopefully keep it tight against your hammock. I have taken these out twice now and was freezing both times! The first time was 40 degrees and my back was cold. I could feel every breeze and thought it might be a migrating the down problem. The next time was this last weekend in the Red River Gorge. It was 35 degrees at night and it is easily the coldest I have ever been! My back was freezing, my legs were freezing. There was no amount of adjusting I could do to get comfortable. It sucked...

    I noticed on the tags of both the under and top quilts that they say they are actually 40 degree quilts. They honestly aren't even warm enough for that. I have tried to contact Mac-Gear again from the website itself and their different email addresses listed on the website and they have chose to ignore me. My suggestion, save up and get something better. There is a reason these quilts are so cheap. I made my own from the Costco blankets and the ones I made are warmer and more adjustable. I am going to save up and get something better too and any suggestions would be great.
    Is this gear from Molly Mac Gear? I did not even realize they made down quilts. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I guess it goes without sying that you had the wind well blocked? I'm asking because you said "I could feel every breeze"?

  3. #3
    QFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Posts
    318
    That is NOT Molly Mac Gear. Different company! I recently ordered from Molly Mac and MacEntyre has been pretty good with communication.

    I think he's talking about https://mac-gear.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,133
    Images
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    That is NOT Molly Mac Gear. Different company! I recently ordered from Molly Mac and MacEntyre has been pretty good with communication.

    I think he's talking about https://mac-gear.com/
    Thank you! I thought it must not be, as I had never read a complaint against them or their gear before. And I have some of it myself, and have found it to be good gear. Also, I thought down quilts were not likely from MMG.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tony c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    austin tx
    Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Posts
    193
    I've looked at these quilts on eBay, they're modified Costco down models, the 35 is a sewn through with the seams ripped to make vertical baffles and some overstuff. I feel like the 35 rating is a Goldilocks rating that depends on user experience to reach. A common suggestion is to treat all gear with a temp buffer. I feel this is a case of what you see is what you get. Poor customer service is a bummer but this is a one man eBay vendor not a small company.

    https://mac-gear.com/product/mac-gear-35f-under-quilt/

    Looking at the pictures it shows 3 tie outs to throw over the ridgeline

  6. #6
    QFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Posts
    318
    Yeah, I have a feeling these are the modified Costco quilts that I publicly questioned on Facebook about their temp ratings and got barked at :-)

    Who has the last... bark... now!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Marmaduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    North Royalton, OH
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Wide Asym
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Posts
    265
    Yeah, lots of typos and spelling errors on the website. I personally would avoid a company like that.

  8. #8
    New Member Tallen2303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Old Hickory, TN
    Hammock
    Still browsing
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is this gear from Molly Mac Gear? I did not even realize they made down quilts. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I guess it goes without sying that you had the wind well blocked? I'm asking because you said "I could feel every breeze"?
    It wasn't Molly Mac Gear, it was mac-gear.com. I could feel every breeze when I was testing it. Over the weekend in the Gorge there was no wind at night and I had a winter tarp. It was miserable.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,133
    Images
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallen2303 View Post
    It wasn't Molly Mac Gear, it was mac-gear.com. I could feel every breeze when I was testing it. Over the weekend in the Gorge there was no wind at night and I had a winter tarp. It was miserable.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Hammock Gear 20 degree Phoenix 3/4 length underquilt
    By Gideon in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 19:44
  2. Hammock Gear Pheonix 20 Degree Underquilt
    By Chop in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2016, 14:28
  3. Hammock Gear Phoenix 40 degree 3/4 underquilt with Dutchware gear
    By lundquistas in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 11:30
  4. Gossamer gear dyneema & 40 degree underquilt
    By lundquistas in forum Archived WTB
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 11:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •