Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Winona MN Blufftop Overnighter 5/4/18

A quick overnight hang this Friday (May 4) 90 minutes south of the Twin Cities in the beautiful Mississippi River Valley. The bluff top trail offers beautiful in land valley, Mississippi, and city view overlooks. The choices are actually pretty diverse. There are hard wood areas and large very nice pine stands the DNR planted 25-30 years ago. It will make some excellent hanging.

A DNR road (closed to other motor vehicles) goes across the peak of the bluff and a 6.5 mile trail circles around the bluff slightly down the hills. The trails are relatively easy and could be mountain biked. I plan to hike at the end of the trail near the overlook. After parking at the top of the bluff, its about a 2 mile flat hike on a DNR road (but closed to the public).

I be going after work and probably getting there around 5. I need to be back home by Saturday afternoon, but I need satisfy my need for some camping. If you want, the National Eagle Center is only 20 minutes north in Wabasha and could be a nice visit on the way home.

Here is a link to the DNR PDF map and information of the trail.
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/st...s/fmu00002.pdf

If you are heading down Hwy 61 (beautiful drive). Take Winona County Highway 23 to the west (towards Stockton) for 2.5 miles (this is right after the speed limit lowers from 65 to 55 mph). There is a sign to turn off the highway and enter the trail. It is about .5 miles back and initially it feels like you are driving up someone's drive way. The road continues past the farm. There is a lower parking lot and gate. That gate is open and you can drive .65 miles up the hill to an upper parking lot. The road going up the hill has large speed humps and if muddy, it might be difficult for small cars. There are no water sources on top of the bluff, so bring enough. I am bringing 3 liters.

This will be dispersed camping in a state forest which means its free and we can gather firewood and make fires. However, it also means there are no formal campsites with toilets, fire rings or tables. There are some really gorgeous areas to camp though! Cell phone coverage on top of the bluff is good.

If you have any questions, let me know.
    cc739c6f8b0d2bedc1dd950e30d26f6b.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Aww dang, if I didn't already have plans, I might have made it to this. I'm always excited to see group campouts in my area—especially in beautiful places like that.

Thanks for posting! Hopefully I'll be able to join you at a future event.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'll be sleeping in a hammock about 20 miles upriver from Winona for three nights this weekend - going fishing at the Great Alma Fish Float. It's such a beautiful area that I try to get out there 2-3 times a year. Will have to look into the area around Winona. Thanks for making us aware.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Eastern Ridge Hex
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    How'd the trip go? love to hear a post trip report!

• + New Posts