Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Central MA > Women’s Hang - Petersham > July 6-8

OK, the women’s hang in central Mass is now official! We’re opening it up to all women (not just newbies), so please sign up on the google doc if you’re interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hicvjlqiLRjog/.

If you need hammock-related gear, or if you have gear you can loan to others for the weekend, please make a note of it in the appropriate column on the sign-up sheet. We will try to find a hammock, straps, tarp and underquilt for anyone who needs one. Anyone who needs gear should bring their own sleeping bag for a top quilt (if needed). A ground sheet of some type is also a good idea, so you have a dry place to put your backpack, etc. (e.g., a tent footprint, small tarp or piece of Tyvek).

Details:

Dates: Fri – Sun, July 6-8

Location: Federated Women's Club State Forest in Petersham (map). The campground staff say we may be able to drive directly to the sites but that the road can be sketchy. It’s probably not an issue, but just in case, be prepared to transport your gear a short distance from the parking area.

***There is no water at this campground. Please bring enough for your own needs. A good estimate is one gallon per person per day. This should cover drinking, cooking and washing up. If you want to bring a filter, there is a vernal pool nearby, but there’s no guarantee it’ll have water in it when we're there.

Bathroom facilities are a Clivus toilet.

At these hangs we often have a group potluck dinner on Saturday night. We can decide as a group whether or not to do this, but for the time being there’s a spot on the sign-up sheet to list what you will bring.

Things to do in the area:

Hikes (a bunch of options)
    Mountain biking
    Swimming at Erving State Forest
    Fishing
    Hunting
    Assuming the group area isn’t taken, it is an open area that would be great for frisbee, lawn games, etc.
    Extended napping
    Competitive bug zapping (bring your racket…they’re already on sale at Job Lot!)

Other notes:

If you are bringing dogs or minors, you are responsible for their conduct at all times. Note that dogs are not allowed on DCR watershed property. (The Quabbin Reservoir is one of several short hikes from the campground.) Dog owners should also bring certification of a current vaccines.

This is state land, so the rule is that no alcohol is allowed.

The final cost is still TBD but will likely be $10-20/person. We’re also waiting to hear back from the campground on whether everyone needs to check in and pay for sites individually or whether we can get the ranger everything on Saturday once everyone is settled in. We can’t make reservations in advance, so we’re hoping on the latter, which will be much easier logistically. Stay tuned!

I think that’s it. What did I miss? Can’t wait to see you there!!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hi All,

Just bumping this as a reminder to all women who want to meet others who enjoy hammocking. It is a great spot with lots to do there.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    I am just up north in VT and would love to meet other women hangers and backpackers, see their set ups, and maybe have some one help tweak mine. My problem is I only have Sundays and Mondays off. I wouldn't mind driving down just for the early part of the day Saturday, before I have to work that evening, would that be ok? I could still pay something to help cover the costs of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtmimib View Post
    I am just up north in VT and would love to meet other women hangers and backpackers, see their set ups, and maybe have some one help tweak mine. My problem is I only have Sundays and Mondays off. I wouldn't mind driving down just for the early part of the day Saturday, before I have to work that evening, would that be ok? I could still pay something to help cover the costs of the event.
    Absolutely!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Im not able to make this, as we are moving the next weekend (still in MA) and I’ll have way too much to do!

But I wanted to share this new natural bug spray that a friend of mine invented. I haven’t tried it, but those who have say it works great!

https://www.facebook.com/Bond-Cliff-...9275181675676/

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Getting close!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Whoo! I'm planning to bring bacon and a couple dozen eggs for Saturday breakfast, unless Megan, you have eggs you'll need to get rid of.

We are less than a week away! Please double check the spreadsheet to see if you need to update anything (e.g., changing tentative to confirmed): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RhicvjlqiLRjog.

It looks like we need one full hammock setup -- hammock, straps, tarp, underquilt, bug net (thank you Helen for that reminder!) -- and have a bunch of people who can provide that. Can someone please let Virginia know who will be loaning her the gear?

And Helen needs a bug net. Helen - Can you talk to Deb (contact info on spreadsheet) to make sure her extra net will fit your hammock?

The weather is looking good so far!

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 09.25.28.png

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    H-bird Pelican
    I'm gathering my gear! Glad to see it won't be as hot as it is this weekend.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Although I can't come (already hosting a hang in Michigan that same weekend) I'm so super geeked this women's only hang is happening!

I'm just a hanging a couple states west of y'all, so I'll be hanging my red bra off my ridgeline in "support!" (Get it? Support. Bra. Bwahahahah)

Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 06-30-2018 at 14:44.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast