Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

CO > Carbondale area

My wife and I will be in the Carbondale area June 5-10, and need a place to "hang out" during that time. Any good locations?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I was just told by whoever manages the Redstone campsite that hammock hanging is not permitted there, and that this is true through the White River National Forrest area. Please Coloradons, tell me this this isn't true!
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Can't believe it would be. Were you talking to the ranger or the rec.gov folks?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I started with a google search on "Carbondale CO camping". That got me to Redstone. There is also Bogan Flats on the same search page with the same phone number. The statement made to me was, "We don't allow hammocks, and we manage everything along the White River". Subsequently, I came in through fs.usda.gov, and called a number associated with the Avalanche campground. In that conversation I was told the Park Service doesn't care how you camp, as long as you maintain proper distances. It seems that I was talking to a private entity the first time, and the government the second time. So there is at least one campground not managed by the first folks; problem is, Avalanche cannot be reserved.

It's quite possible that the person I spoke to about Redstone/Bogan Flats doesn't really know what the rules are, but I want to avoid coming 1900 miles only to get into a "p-ing" contest.

Yeah, definitely. I've found the rec.gov (where you can reserve the sites) folks which are a third party generally don't know jack squat, which is why I asked if you had talked to the actual ranger station. Unfortunately I can't tell you on those specific campgrounds, but I'm sure hammocks are allowed in the national forest. I've never personally seen any issue at national forest campgrounds, state parks or more well controlled areas maybe.

Guess it depends if you want an actual campground. Out here any national forest or BLM land is fair game unless specifically marked, so going up any old forest road until a spot looks good works. That's usually what we do to avoid people. But you probably want a better plan than that coming all that way lol. Unfortunately I haven't spent much time on the Crystal river side up there, to bad no one from that area has chimed in.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Thanks much fishhawk! I've communicated now with a manager at the Aspen/Sopris Ranger District who, indeed, tells me that hammock hanging is "discouraged...at Forest Service campgrounds because the same trees tend to get tethered to, which causes them to weaken and snap." (I guess your trees there are just not as robust as what we have in the Pine Barrens!) That is the basis for the concessionaires that oversee campsites such as Redstone and Bogan Flats to just say no. I could probably get away with it at Avalanche or McClure (where there is no one to take reservations), but I don't want to be "that guy". The Ranger District manager was kind enough to mention some roads on BLM land near Carbondale where hammocking would be OK.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Thanks much fishhawk! I've communicated now with a manager at the Aspen/Sopris Ranger District who, indeed, tells me that hammock hanging is "discouraged...at Forest Service campgrounds because the same trees tend to get tethered to, which causes them to weaken and snap." (I guess your trees there are just not as robust as what we have in the Pine Barrens!) That is the basis for the concessionaires that oversee campsites such as Redstone and Bogan Flats to just say no. I could probably get away with it at Avalanche or McClure (where there is no one to take reservations), but I don't want to be "that guy". The Ranger District manager was kind enough to mention some roads on BLM land near Carbondale where hammocking would be OK.
    It is unfortunate but the popularity of the college/ENO crowd has done a lot of damage to the hobby.
    Most managed campgrounds will have strict rule about tying anything to the trees.
    One really needs to get away from these over crowded over used places to find nirvana with your hammock kit.

I don't know much about the Carbondale area but if the Colorado Trail goes thru it that should be your destination for the best hammock experience.
    Remember Colorado is a tourist state and we are packed with outdoor enthusiast all year around.

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    I haven't spent much time around Carbondale, but I spent a lot of time south of Aspen towards Taylor Park when I lived in Vail. If you are comfortable not staying in a developed campground, the hanging possibilities increase tremendously on National Forest land. I understand the secure feeling of having a campsite waiting for you when traveling that far, so you may want to look into campgrounds in the Gunnison National Forest. I do not know the campground regulations for Gunnison National Forest, but I'd bet they are far more relaxed than White River. Perhaps the McClure Campground could work for you even though it is first come first serve. It is a few miles south of Redstone and no longer in the White River National Forest. In either case, you are close to the town of Marble and a short trip to the (picture) famous Crystal Mill, a trip I'd recommend.

Early June is what I consider the early start of the summer tourist season. It shouldn't be packed, but definitely expect to see people.

The Forest Service's new interactive map makes finding things much easier than in years past. Some investigative map work might reveal a few grand possibilities for you.
    https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    OutandBack and 87Warrior - thanks much for the information! It's a long story, but I need to stay as close to Carbondale as I can. The ranger identified a road on BLM land for me that looks promising from satellite photos.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    OutandBack and 87Warrior - thanks much for the information! It's a long story, but I need to stay as close to Carbondale as I can. The ranger identified a road on BLM land for me that looks promising from satellite photos.
    That sounds like a great plan. Never turn down a rangers suggestion. They know the area the best.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast