Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    How much money could one save by making this versus an off the shelf hex cuben DCF tarp from HG? Gear nerds rejoice! Ackbar approved this message.
    This is a good question.

I didn't see the Hammock Gear CF Asym offered when I went to the website today -- and it seems it is no longer made -- but a little Internet research suggests that it was somewhere between $200 an $250.

The HG CF Asym boasts a 132" ridge line length compared to 128" on the D.A.R.T., a 4" difference, with ridge line corners 78 degrees wide, only one degree wider than on the D.A.R.T. (IF my information culled from various sources is correct...)

Hammock Gear's construction on the CF Asym is two-piece, essentially the same as a hex tarp. In order to have been made from a single tarp panel like the D.A.R.T., the HG CF Asym would need to be made from Cuben Fiber that's more than 63" wide off the roll -- practically wide fabric -- instead of the 54" width it comes in.

If you were going to make a DCF asym tarp using two-panel construction with the same shape and dimensions as the HG CF Asym, you would need to purchase 5 full yards of Dyneema fabric at $32 per yard. If Hammock Gear was able to offer their CF Asym at a little over $200, you can see how, owing to the economies of purchasing DCF material wholesale and in bulk, vendors can afford to offer you a two-piece Dyneema asym tarp for nearly the same price as you can build one yourself, given the price of the tarp material and the additional costs of the additional high-tech products and components required to finish it properly, most important among them the double-sided bonding tape, which even in bulk will cost you about $40 for 60 yards. (Nice of Dutch to sell this tape by the foot so you can get only what you need for your build.)

Conversely, you can build the D.A.R.T. with 30% less Dyneema fabric and significantly less bonding tape -- and zero DCF reinforcing tape, which is necessary for a two-piece DCF tarp -- because of its single-panel design. Assuming you have a bobbin of Mara 70 thread on hand to stitch the grosgrain tie-outs to the reinforcment patches, you can get everything else you need from Dutch to build a D.A.R.T. exactly like I did for $132 plus shipping -- so you'd save at least a third the cost versus buying the ready-made Hammock Gear or Zpacks option; you'll also save weight and pack space while still getting effective coverage with the D.A.R.T.

Here's my component list...

* 3.5 yards 0.51 oz Dyneema Composite Fabric (enough to make tarp with reinforcements )
    * 28 feet 1/2" bonding tape (minimum; I recommend buying at least 10% extra for any DCF project)
    * 1 yard 1/2" grosgrain ribbon
    * 4 1/2" Beastee Dee rings
    * Seam Grip adhesive
    * Mara 70 thead (for the box-X stitching attaching the grosgrain to the internal reinforcements)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-05-2018 at 05:48.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Wow. Thanks KC for the thorough explanation. I would be interested in such a tarp but I have zero sewing skills and don’t own a sewing machine. Maybe later I will be motivated to get one as the DIY thing is growing on me. Any recommendations for a newbie DIYer in the tarp/quilt/hammock making field. Thanks. Maybe Dutch needs some more interns!!! It would be great to have a chance to learn in a classroom environment how the cottage manufacturers actually make their products.

Hi kitsapcowboy!

I did a couple of your KISS tarp, I like it ! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Im thinking about keeping the same ridgeline length and reducing those 90 degree angles so the side pannels wont be so long. It could be easier to pitch it low with both side close to the hammock. Maybe I can save an ounce or two, something between your KISS and your new CFT

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by noldhor View Post
    Hi kitsapcowboy!

I did a couple of your KISS tarp, I like it ! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Im thinking about keeping the same ridgeline length and reducing those 90 degree angles so the side pannels wont be so long. It could be easier to pitch it low with both side close to the hammock. Maybe I can save an ounce or two, something between your KISS and your new CFT
    Glad the rectangular wide asym design worked out for you so far...

You could certainly perform those modifications, but it won't really be a K.I.S.S. tarp any more, as you'll lose the ability to switch lay direction without flipping the tarp, and you'll lose virtually all of your ground pitch options (if you installed V2.0 midpoint tie-outs).

What you will construct is a wide parallelogram tarp -- something different from both the K.I.S.S. and the D.A.R.T.; you'll have better long-edge protection over a standard-width parallelogram asym at the expense of a couple of ounces, and you'll sacrifice a bit of versatility versus the K.I.S.S. to save an ounce or so.

HYOH...and be sure to start a new thread to let us know how that different style of tarp works out for you. Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    What you will construct is a wide parallelogram tarp -- something different from both the K.I.S.S. and the D.A.R.T.; you'll have better long-edge protection over a standard-width parallelogram asym at the expense of a couple of ounces, and you'll sacrifice a bit of versatility versus the K.I.S.S. to save an ounce or so.
    Its more for the ease of use and not really to save an ounce, but I know it will weight less so its a bonus

Can you use your DART in porch mod , is it too narrow for that or you still have a length enough to sit in your hammock and dont get your legs wet by the rain ?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Not really; the difference between "porch mode" and "storm mode" with standard-width asym tarps is generally pretty slim.

With the D.A.R.T., while you can adjust the wingspan for ideal coverage for your particular conditions, there's mostly just "packed" and "pitched".

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I love Asym tarps. My first tarp was the Walkabout by Yukon Outfitters. Not an asym, but made me realize that I rarely need a huge tarp plus I liked the simple setup. Later I started using a SLS; hanging my tarp off my tree straps using a sliding prusik knot with a small metal mitten hook. Finally when I made my first asym tarp and hung it using SLS I was sold. Super simple, super light, and unless you're expecting continuous rain it's plenty of tarp. (side note, I use an asym bugnet as well that just lays over my ridgeline and has pocket on both sides for windy nights)

Please let us know how you like the DCF tarp after using it a while. My diy asyms are around 150-200 grams (5-7 oz). I like the idea of a sub 100 gram tarp, but not sure I want to make the jump to DCF. Lack of familiarity with the material. Curious to hear your report after you've used it for a while and your thoughts. I really enjoy all the projects you post and have made 2 of your KISS tarps also. I still sleep on the ground from time to time, and there's something satisfying about pitching a tarp. Thanks again.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hi brianb!

I did a couple of KISS tarp too and right now I want to make a new one but a bit smaller on the sides.

Can you tell me, what are the size of your tarps, not the KISS but those you did before.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I love Asym tarps. My first tarp was the Walkabout by Yukon Outfitters. Not an asym, but made me realize that I rarely need a huge tarp plus I liked the simple setup. Later I started using a SLS; hanging my tarp off my tree straps using a sliding prusik knot with a small metal mitten hook. Finally when I made my first asym tarp and hung it using SLS I was sold. Super simple, super light, and unless you're expecting continuous rain it's plenty of tarp. (side note, I use an asym bugnet as well that just lays over my ridgeline and has pocket on both sides for windy nights)

Please let us know how you like the DCF tarp after using it a while. My diy asyms are around 150-200 grams (5-7 oz). I like the idea of a sub 100 gram tarp, but not sure I want to make the jump to DCF. Lack of familiarity with the material. Curious to hear your report after you've used it for a while and your thoughts. I really enjoy all the projects you post and have made 2 of your KISS tarps also. I still sleep on the ground from time to time, and there's something satisfying about pitching a tarp. Thanks again.
    Thanks, brianb! I will definitely report back here once I have an opportunity for some field testing of this tarp this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by noldhor View Post
    Hi brianb!

I did a couple of KISS tarp too and right now I want to make a new one but a bit smaller on the sides.

Can you tell me, what are the size of your tarps, not the KISS but those you did before.
    This is an interesting topic, so I hope you'll take the initiative to start a new thread here in the DIY forum on asym tarp geometry, as it is a surprisingly nuanced subject that I don't think is over-represented here in the HF archives.

Oh yes sorry Kitsapcowboy, this topic is interesting for sure, getting off topic, almost ��

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast