Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none

I just don't get it

If you look on the side of a BMBH, there are loops. These loops are part of the UQ suspension system. If you look on the corners of a JRB UQ, there are loops. These loops slip over the loops on the bmbh which you then use a caribiner or something to secure the UQ to the hammock.

JRB also sell an UQ suspension kit. shock cord with 2 caribiners on the ends.

I don't understand the purpose, though, of using the kid on a bmbh. I can see with other hammock systems that don't have these tabs to fasten an UQ, but it seems to me that if I follow the instructions for putting the UQ on the BMBH, the suspension system isn't necessary. I could take a couple trail sticks, feed them through the loop after I push the UQ loop over it and secure it to the hammock and serve the same purpose.

Am I missing something or did I just stumble onto something that everyone else has known for years?
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Right! with a BMBH no kit is needed. Just clip and go...simple...no fiddle...no brain required...nice after a long day or when minimal skin to cold air time (e.g. frigid fingers) desired.
    and Pan showed me a trick at MtR'ers, turn the BMBH upside down and clip all four corners, then flip the hammock over, whaaalllllaaaah UQ on the bottom and you didn't drag it in the snow or mud or creek

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Congrats on the Bridge Fulminated! I just got mine and going to hang it today for the first time.

It's modding time!

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Right! with a BMBH no kit is needed. Just clip and go...simple...no fiddle...no brain required...nice after a long day or when minimal skin to cold air time (e.g. frigid fingers) desired.
    and Pan showed me a trick at MtR'ers, turn the BMBH upside down and clip all four corners, then flip the hammock over, whaaalllllaaaah UQ on the bottom and you didn't drag it in the snow or mud or creek
    Yeah, I've been doing the flip over trick since I borrowed Finn's bridge a while back. Billybob had mentioned it once in another thread.

Now I feel like a big dummy, though.

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    You can take a shortcut to just clip into the corner loops...

But the fit is better and the sides more secure when the JRB Suspension Set is used...The loops on the hammock are intended primarily for alignment, ie perfect fit and full elimination of any dead air spaces.

Secondarily, when the elastics wrap the straps...you can hang socks etc in a secure mode, so the wind or whatever will not knock them off.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    If you look on the side of a BMBH, there are loops. These loops are part of the UQ suspension system. If you look on the corners of a JRB UQ, there are loops. These loops slip over the loops on the bmbh which you then use a caribiner or something to secure the UQ to the hammock.

JRB also sell an UQ suspension kit. shock cord with 2 caribiners on the ends.

I don't understand the purpose, though, of using the kid on a bmbh. I can see with other hammock systems that don't have these tabs to fasten an UQ, but it seems to me that if I follow the instructions for putting the UQ on the BMBH, the suspension system isn't necessary. I could take a couple trail sticks, feed them through the loop after I push the UQ loop over it and secure it to the hammock and serve the same purpose.

Am I missing something or did I just stumble onto something that everyone else has known for years?
    You could probably do that, with a stick toggle through the hammock loop after it has been passed through the quilt loop. Then it might be pretty close. Maybe I'll try it and see if it works OK.

It seems to me that, when I attach per JRB directions as I understand them, there is no elastic action from the suspension any way. Am I doing something wrong? IOW, the loop on the hammock is passed through the corresponding loop on the quilt, correct, Pan? Then the suspension biner, which has already been passed through the corner rings, is clipped to the hammock loop. The quilt then simply hangs at a fixed position from the hammock loop. Things don't move much after that, I think the hammock just sags the correct amount for me to just snugly contact the quilt.

But it is awfully easy to just use the suspension. I don't know if using a toggle to attach would throw the adjustment off an inch or so from the "factory specs", and if that would make a noticeable difference.

I used to run the suspension elastics through the side rings and attach to the quilt loops which had been passed through the hammock loops. But I finally figured out, after looking closer at the directions at the JRB site, that I had things reversed loop wise. Hopefully I have it correct now. But it still always seemed to work as far a I could tell.

I do always wonder about the foot end adjustments. I usually just try to do it per the directions. But, usually when I'm done attaching, it looks awfully close and needles little if any adjustment. But that leaves me curious as to how it will effect warmth or wear and tear if I either don't cinch it up on the ends at all, or if I tighten it a bit more than enough to be in full contact with the bottom end edges?

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Billybob - I've hung the hammock with just sticks in the corner to hold the quilt on, I've suspsended the UQ with the the JRB suspension system as per the instructions and I've just used the suspension to hang the quilt without ever passing the corner loops on the quilt through the corner loops on the hammock.

Never have noticed a cold spot. That's the only way I can tell it is working. If I'm cold, something is wrong.

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I find passing the suspension through the two corner suspension rings a lot of work. Recently I've started hanging the suspension as JRB suggest with the exception of bypassing the corner rings and letting the elastic slip into the gap of the spreader bars. Seems to work well so far and I find it much easier.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I find passing the suspension through the two corner suspension rings a lot of work. Recently I've started hanging the suspension as JRB suggest with the exception of bypassing the corner rings and letting the elastic slip into the gap of the spreader bars. Seems to work well so far and I find it much easier.
    Roadtorque,

I find it easiest to put the biner through the corner rings before inserting the spreader bar.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You could probably do that, with a stick toggle through the hammock loop after it has been passed through the quilt loop. Then it might be pretty close. Maybe I'll try it and see if it works OK.

It seems to me that, when I attach per JRB directions as I understand them, there is no elastic action from the suspension any way. Am I doing something wrong? IOW, the loop on the hammock is passed through the corresponding loop on the quilt, correct, Pan? Then the suspension biner, which has already been passed through the corner rings, is clipped to the hammock loop. The quilt then simply hangs at a fixed position from the hammock loop. Things don't move much after that, I think the hammock just sags the correct amount for me to just snugly contact the quilt.

But it is awfully easy to just use the suspension. I don't know if using a toggle to attach would throw the adjustment off an inch or so from the "factory specs", and if that would make a noticeable difference.

I used to run the suspension elastics through the side rings and attach to the quilt loops which had been passed through the hammock loops. But I finally figured out, after looking closer at the directions at the JRB site, that I had things reversed loop wise. Hopefully I have it correct now. But it still always seemed to work as far a I could tell.

I do always wonder about the foot end adjustments. I usually just try to do it per the directions. But, usually when I'm done attaching, it looks awfully close and needles little if any adjustment. But that leaves me curious as to how it will effect warmth or wear and tear if I either don't cinch it up on the ends at all, or if I tighten it a bit more than enough to be in full contact with the bottom end edges?
    BB58,et al,

Bear in mind that the BMBH was designed, among other things, to be compatable with the JRB quilts... So they are a perfect fit... Little to no adjustment is necessary of the end cord...2-3 inch draw at most, and in truth it is mostly just cosmetic, because when an average 6 footer is in the hammock he/she is nowhere near the ends.

End cords exist to close off any chimney loss for gathered end hammocks and to enable foot boxes and shoulder pockets when used as TQ.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

• + New Posts