SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Old dog trying to learn some new tricks

Hi there! I've been camping for most of my 4.5 decades, but am brand new to hammocks. I decided to try it out to avoid the hassle of packing up a wet tent on every one of my son's scout camping trips (it rains pretty much every weekend we're out).

I'm starting out on the cheap to make sure I and my aging back can handle it before investing more money or time in better gear.

-Chad

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I've got more than a couple decades on you...your back will love a hammock. More than for camping and hiking, it just helps a bad back.
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Hi there! I've been camping for most of my 4.5 decades, but am brand new to hammocks. I decided to try it out to avoid the hassle of packing up a wet tent on every one of my son's scout camping trips (it rains pretty much every weekend we're out).

I'm starting out on the cheap to make sure I and my aging back can handle it before investing more money or time in better gear.

-Chad
    How cheap is cheap, do you already have a tarp that might get you started, and are you doing enough backpacking that weight becomes significant? Also, how tall are you?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. There are quite a few active hangers here who frequent the Pine Barrens, so keep an eye on the trip planning section and join us for a group hang! You can learn a lot about different hammocks and setups.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-04-2018 at 00:56.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    A hammock is the best thing my bad back has ever slept in.

Welcome

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    How cheap is cheap, do you already have a tarp that might get you started, and are you doing enough backpacking that weight becomes significant? Also, how tall are you?
    My current hammock is a single from Tribe Provisions, purchased for $15 from woot.com. I also picked up a couple of Twisted Root Designs "print" hammocks when they were on the same site for $10 each. I recently bough a Twisted Root Designs tarp on the same site for $25; it's fairly heavy, but seems well-constructed. The waterproof coating seems on par with my 3.5 season Eureka tent, which has survived torrential downpours, so I'm pretty sure this tarp will do fine. This past weekend (before the TRD tarp arrived), I used a couple of cheap 6x8 PE tarps (walmart specials) overlapped and they kept me dry in a pretty heavy rain.

My son's troop doesn't do much in the way of backpacking. They rarely camp anywhere the troop trailer can't go, so weight isn't a big issue. As for height, I'm right around 6' tall. The TP hammock seems long enough, but may not be wide enough. The TRC hammocks are supposed to be a bit (~8") wider, so I might try one of those on the next trip.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    Rather than buying a cheap hammock somewhere else, I would recommend taking a look at the "for sale" thread here on this forum for some deals on some really good quality hammocks. I see a Traveler, XLC and Ridgerunner just to name a few for sale.

Happy hanging.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p/154-For-Sale
    Last edited by ScooterInVegas; 05-04-2018 at 12:04.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Get a hammock minimum 11x5
    Get a tarp with ridgeline minimum 11 feet and with doors
    Insulation pad and or underquilt—pad costs less but many start with pad and buy underquilt as funds allow.
    You can go lots cheaper, with an 8 foot 6 inch no name hammock and a smaller tarp pitched diamond style. BUT you might be uncomfortable and wet and cold and then might decide that it’s not for you.
    I, as well as many of us started this way. And then upgraded our gear for comfort as budget allowed

Browse Hammock Forums and make your choices to fit your style. There are lots of happy hammock campers with a great range of gear choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    My current hammock is a single from Tribe Provisions, purchased for $15 from woot.com. I also picked up a couple of Twisted Root Designs "print" hammocks when they were on the same site for $10 each. I recently bough a Twisted Root Designs tarp on the same site for $25; it's fairly heavy, but seems well-constructed. The waterproof coating seems on par with my 3.5 season Eureka tent, which has survived torrential downpours, so I'm pretty sure this tarp will do fine. This past weekend (before the TRD tarp arrived), I used a couple of cheap 6x8 PE tarps (walmart specials) overlapped and they kept me dry in a pretty heavy rain.
    I don't personally recommend Amazon for hammock gear. That $15 Tribe Provisions (never heard of them, nor of Twisted Root) hammock is basically a cheap ENO knockoff (Chinese knockoff of a Chinese knockoff), and there are a bazillion of those on Amazon. Those seams would drive me crazy!

I've also never heard of Twisted Root, but I'll bet that, as heavy as that tarp is, you won't be able to rely on it for adequate protection in a decent rainstorm. It's just the nature of $25 Amazon tarps (I own quite a few - didn't want to pay for a decent tarp). Those Wallyworld tarps, though not very durable, will probably provide better weather protection than the Twisted Root.

Before you spend any more on Amazon hammock gear, I'd take a look at relatively cheap cottage vendor hammocks like the Dutch Netless - some are on sale for $30:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ne...layer-option-1

while the regular price is $42.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...fabric-layer-1

(I also like the HammockGear hammocks at $42).

http://hammockgear.com/hammocks/

As for tarps, a Hennessy Hammock Hex is relatively bombproof at $79.95 - it will keep you dry in everything but blowing precipitation. Many beginners also like the Kelty 12 x 12, which can be found for a bit cheaper ($69.95).

My aversion to Amazon hammock gear came from trying to get my sons involved in hammock camping when they were Boy Scouts. I always tried out what I bought on Amazon, and if it didn't work for me, I surely wouldn't sour my sons on hammock camping by giving them inadequate gear. I quickly learned what was adequate (Amazon wasn't), and none of my kids ever got wet on a hammock campout! My kids are now 26, 24 and 19, and they still trust me enough to go hammock camping with me every now and then. They know I won't steer them wrong.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast