Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Winter is over. Time to test

Drape a larger than you need jacket over your shoulders with the sleeves turned inside and use that to get you thinking you wont need an underquilt as much this summer. I'm just throwing this concept out there. I'm interested to see if the collective HF DIY hive can add to and refine it. Winter is done so putting away puffy coats I pulled out two as the idea requires a puffy coat that has a shock cord in the hem and if it does then it probably locks also with a barrel bolt or similar clasp. That adjustment will be needed to prevent an air gap. Now remember I use these jackets in 20's and they do well with layers. Stand alone there seems adequate insulation to get me? The one is a NF thermoball and the other is the MH down ghost. Light and warm. That one might get me into the 40's as an under quilt. I plan on my sit pad being under my butt as the jacket(s) go down to my wallet. For quick test purposes tie off, or anchor to a proper size, on the large size, jacket with safety pins or cordage & knots and put 4 loops of suspension at the top and bottom of the jacket. The very points of the stand up collar and and an attachment at each bottom side. Turn the sleeves to the inside for extra insulation and to keep the sleeves off the ground when in the hammock. Both Jackets fit me larger than I need but they go overtop other layers usually in winters. Using them in winter I often need the bigger fit but to have a baggy jacket on for a few chilly hours in a summer trip means I carry less. But now, in this extended season for the jacket doing extra duty as my underquilt. I just need to see how low I can go with this jacket as my underquilt. 50°Ill bet. The jacket is an XL North face thermoball. It works so well that I'm most likely going to sew 4 tiny loops on it with gutterman thread. Ill bar tack some short strips of suitable loop material at the collar tips and at each side at the bottom edge of the zipper. The permanent loops only need be big enough to take a mitten hook. Youll need to adjust the hem shock cord as needed. I think I have 4 mitten hooks someplace. Now if I could only find the box with the shock cord. I can't get pictures today. Peace, Two Tents and my little black dog, ben (intentional lower case b)
    Last edited by Two Tents; 05-06-2018 at 11:02.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

That was an interesting read.
    I've been using my motorcycle jacket over my sleeping bag liner to keep feet warm.

Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Images
    I like my puffy jackets year round. I stuff them between the quilt and hammock as a booster, but not standalone.

• + New Posts