Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Care and feeding of "thread injectors"

I have been building saddles and tack for many years now, and have always used heavy duty stitchers. I just recently inherited my wife's old sewing machine, completely without instruction manual of any kind, and she hasn't used it for so long she has forgotten most everything about it. It is a weird brand which I can't find any reference to on the 'net. The face plate says "Olympia", and the name "Brother" is cast into the base. From the weight, it was made from an anvil and they added lead ballast. At any rate, I have enough stitching experience to be able to work through a lot of the questions, but I put the search on this forum and gleaned a lot of extremely useful information on stitching with light weight machines and fabric. Some of the posts also gave me a real chuckle, as I've been there also. But I just wanted to point out that stitchers have feelings!! Every morning when I go out to the shop, I pet my machines, groom them, tell them what wonderful creatures they are, give them a little fresh oil, dust them off, and pet them again. Each one has a distinct personality that must be catered carefully to and if I do my part, they are happy to hum along giving me my perfect stitches. They do not like harsh words! I prove that all the time!!

Well, now I am starting to sew this gossamer, filmy stuff that may or may not actually exist. I have already started caressing my new little machine, and it is starting to come around. Wish me luck. Oh, and thanks a million for all the help!!!!!

Hammock
    wwbb 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    wb adj.webbing
    I think they still make Brother Sewing machines. They used to be a very good name brand.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Olympia and Brother were both very good names in those days. Brother is still in business but, imo, has followed in the footsteps of Black and Decker. A once proud and professional quality company making less than sturdy machines for the big box stores.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My recent-vintage brother certainly isn't bullet proof, but for $26, I cannot complain. It makes all the gear I need, with the occasional bit of cursing thrown in...

(My wife says I have Sewing Tourettes)

I've used another (better) machine, but it too had it's personality...

I'm just glad we have so many helpful people here, or I would have craigslisted this beast and given up...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    (My wife says I have Sewing Tourettes)
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Sewing Tourettes! I know what that is!

Also Driving Tourettes.

Images
    i think the brother commercial machines are still held in high regard. if the head is iron, then it may be a commercial machine.

would you say the motor is more the size of a tennis ball or a football?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    "Sewing Touretts", now that is an apt description!! I love it.

I am certain it is not an industrial machine. It just has a very small motor, and so far, I think the only "advanced" stitch I can figure out is a zigzag. I am headed to Grand Junction (hundred miles, one way) today to a large fabric store where I hope to get some information and help. The only thing I have done with it so far is sew some longer tails on a flannel shirt that would not stay tucked in. It worked fine and was a pleasure to use. It does have a small intermittent clicking during stitching that I can't identify, but hope to find that out today. Thanks for the information connecting Olympia and Brother. At least I know that it was not some knock-off piece of junk. Although, as many years ago as it was obviously built, I don't think they even did that kind of thing like they do today!

• + New Posts