Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I would try one of the herbal/ organic/ spice type concentrates on a section of the suspension at each end first off... sorta cut off their bridge
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Permethrin.

Remember, the enemy's gate is down...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You could put some of the named repellent natural oils on the suspension to deter them from traveling there. AFAIK it does not seem like oils would deteriorate Amsteel or straps, but if someone else knows more, please chime in.

You could also soak your suspension in permethrin -- some ants would die, but perhaps the rest would realize "yikes! dangerous pathway! avoid!" Permethrin used on your equipment will not poison the entire colony, but only the ants that contact it directly.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    From an article I saw......

Chalk is the first remedy of choice, mostly because it is so surprising. Apparently, the little buggers do not like chalk, and if you draw a line around the room where you have ants, or the particular area of the room, they will not cross the line. It literally annoys them because the chalk dust sticks to their feet. Use regular chalk and draw away!

Squeeze lemon juice from actual lemons on the areas that the ants are invading. For example, squeeze the juice in the openings or holes they keep coming through, cracks in between the floor and wall, on windowsills and on any thresholds. This method will completely deter these insects and give your house a lemon-fresh scent.

Pouring baking soda in a line will stop the ants in their tracks. Baking soda works much the same as chalk because the ants will not cross this line. It will also deodorize your house as an extra bonus.

Vinegar is a common natural repellent for weeds. In fact, many gardeners spray vinegar in between sidewalk cracks. Vinegar can also be used to keep ants away. Simply use a spray bottle with a slim nozzle and spray around doorways or other openings that the insects continue to invade.

To completely erase an ant trail, wash away the area with boiling water. Wear gloves or use a mop to scrub the ant trail or opening where the ants keep coming out of to erase their scent. Think of this remedy as a natural antibacterial agent, but for ants.

Setting up a trail of sugar seems an unlikely method but it actually works. Pour sugar from where the pests keep invading and make a defined trail from this area to the outside of your house. The ants will simply follow the path and march away.

Shug
    Chalk and baking soda does work!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quietly slip an apple pie into your neighbour's yard.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Backpackr
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac Underq
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ marlin
    SOLVED. on a rainy day, the ants disappeared. I took down the hammock, then the tarp, and sprayed the gear with diluted cinnamon oil. I dipped my suspension in highly concentrated cinnamon oil water, and I also bought permethrin. I plan to spray my tarp with permethrin soon. Thanks for the help, everyone! Peace and love.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by knapsackker View Post
    I dipped my suspension in highly concentrated cinnamon oil water, and I also bought permethrin. I plan to spray my tarp with permethrin soon. Thanks for the help, everyone! Peace and love.
    I wouldn't bother trying to spray your tarp with permethrin. Most permethrin is water-based, and tarps are waterproof. Watch the permethrin roll off the tarp and do nothing!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Ditto.....never cared about keeping bugs off my tarp. The hammock is a different story.

Wild idea.....get a short section of split loom (stuff you run wires through) to cover your suspension, maybe a 12" piece. Tie an old rag sprayed with DEET based insect repellent around that section. Hopefully the ants come down the suspension, hit this nasty section of real estate, and turn back. It would also act like a water break.

The split loom is just to keep the DEET off your cordage. That stuff tends to melt some plastics/fabrics. Better safe than sorry.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've had luck in my house repelling ants with peppermint extract and/or tea tree oil. I keep a little bottle of mixed Dr Bronner's peppermint and tea tree oil liquid castille soap in my camp gear for general cleaning, and I've dabbed spots of it on my gear for bug repellent before with fairly good results. Might put a dab on your suspension and see what it does.

Thermacell devices are great. Look into them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast