Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Smile DIY Hammock saves my HH

Just had to let you know what happened today. My first DIY hammock was chosen over my HH to be stolen!

Allow me to explain with a sloppy narration of what happened:

I can walk one block in any direction from my house and find a big park with a lot of trees. So every time i get the chance I go outside and hang my hammock setup for as long as I can. From time to time I like to take some of my camping gear with me to play around with it as well, but always include at least one more hammock besides mine in case i encounter any friends who would join me. Since monday, where are having public transportation strikes here in Bogota, so i've actually had the pleasure of having these past days off (from school and work) as well as my buddies so we have been hanging outside a lot.

Today (wednesday), i planned the hanging just for me alone (take some naps, read a bit, fiddle with the darn OCF pad) but as always, appart from my beloved HH, I did take an extra hammock: my first DIY.

Around 6pm, already getting dark, I got out of my hammock (HH expedition asym) to readjust the tieouts of my HEX to higher level. When I step out from under the tarp, there is this guy who is walking around the tarp. This is not strange, it does happen every time I hang the hammock, but this guy did have a suspicious appearance.
    I immediately began talking to him (rough translation from spanish, but as accurate as possible):
    ME: Sup?
    GUY: ...
    ME: You like the hammock?
    GUY: You know I do, how about you take it down so i can take it now.
    ME: aw, c'mon dude.
    GUY: F#@^! @!%&@#$ Don't make me hurt you!

So, yeah, he wanted to rob me. At this point he took out a little knife.

1st Funny thing is at first I got worried about the tarp getting punctured by the knife, not me!

2nd Funny thing: He only wanted the hammock. I began complaining and telling him about how uncomfortable it would be for him to leave with all those things I had. But he told me he just wanted the hammock.

This relieved me so much! I was still more concerned about the tarp.
    Seeing he only wanted the/a hammock, I offered him the other one, the DIY. This one wasnt hung, it was in a DIY stuff bag. He insisted that no, he wanted the one hanging.

Now, 3rd funny thing: I just went ahead and took out the DIY, hung it and began showing it to him, explaining pros and cons over the HH, as if i was selling it, and he did like it more! Or well, he just went liek "ok ok ok, it does look better, just put it again in the bag so i can leave". I did so and he left pretty fast.

That was it. I did call the police, and they arrived to the park in less than 5 minutes, but they just began telling me how this was actually my fault.
    My neighborhood is very safe, but according to these cops, due to the strikes, apparently the whole Bogota becomes unsafe. That is rubbish, they were just LAZY!

Any how, my first DIY (which didnt cost more than $10) saved my HH, and I got away safely. This incident wont stop me from this "ritual" i have, but i sure will keep taking a spare hammock to these outings. Also, i cant help but feel proud of my DIY skills... he might have just been in a hurry, but he did chose my DIY over a HH.

EDIT NOTE: not sure if this was better to be placed in the trip report section of the forums. i apologize for the mistake
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 03-04-2010 at 23:49. Reason: please move to proper section of the forums.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    I suppose you are going to make another DIY hammock? I'm sorry you were robbed, but that is a great story, and a good idea for keeping your HH in your own hands.
    You have a cool head on your sholders. I would have wet my pants.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    wow, thats very rude, but I'm glad your ok. He will probably join HF and then you can form a group hang and seek revenge.
    He doesn't have your uq, so he will be logging on in the morning. The cold butt syndrome even strikes the bad guys.

What is this world coming to???
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Glad you're OK. You just can't make this stuff up. Too funny. I carry a parachute hammock as a decoy
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    You can always live in hope that your first DIY was a learning process and will naturally have some faults that you would remedy on your second DOY project. Hopefully one of these faults will cause your new friend an unpleasant trip promoted by gravity onto a very hard object.

I don't think he would learn his lesson but its a thought.

Well done on your cool attitude in this situation koodoos to you.
    Bazza

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thieves make me
    Glad you're okay. That's the most important thing.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man .... my blood is up just reading that. Good thing you did not have a BlackBird.
    I am happy that YOU are OK ....
    As I lick my spoon I would like to lick that guy!!!!!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well dang ... sorry to hear that happened to you. Not surprised by the police response to you though. I've spent a few years in Bogota back in the 90's and it really doesn't surprise me. Sorry that happened to you and really glad you're OK.

I really have a problem with thieves and the like myself ... but don't ultimately let them ruin your outdoor experience.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    I thank you all for the kind words.
    The incident (being robbed) might have been the friendliest i have had, and i just cant help and laugh about it, though i do know i was very lucky the guy didnt really try to harm me.

I have two more DIYs, so I wont actually need to make another one. But If there is something these forums and yesterday's experience have taught me, is the power and awsomeness of DIY!
    I will make another DIY to replace that one i gave the theif, just need some more free time, cuz i sew very slow, dont like to rush with my DIY stuff.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

• + New Posts