Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Thank you guys for the info.. really helpfull.. (thank shug for your video link).

ok now is the time for the stupid question.. no price difference between a 1.1 and a 1.7 double layer..

If the 1.1oz is lighter, why is it the same price as the 1.7oz ?
    What is the difference between 1.1 and 1.7oz then ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    One of the biggest differences between the 1.1 and the 1.7 fabric (both single layred and dbl layerd) is that the with the 1.1 fabric mosquitos can NOT bite you throug the fabric but with the 1.7 fabric, the mosquitos CAN get to you thorugh the fabric. This in theory does not really matter because unless in extremly warm weather you will be useing under insulation to protect you from the biteing bugs (and to keep you warm). As for the physics of why the 1.1 or the 1.7 give you a flater lay depending on how light or heavy you are, well im still trying to figure out that one my self. I believe it has something to do with thread count or how closely the fabric is woven toogether.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    the 1.1 fabric mosquitos can NOT bite you throug the fabric but with the 1.7 fabric, the mosquitos CAN get to you thorugh the fabric.

The 1.1oz is lighter than 1.7 and is mosquito proof
    The 1.7oz is heavier than 1.1 and is not mosquito proof

If the 1.1oz fabric mosquitos can not bite you, and is lighter, there is no point to the existance of the 1.7oz that would be heavier slightly. So im still not getting this.. something is missing.. and for my part, im a heavy camper.. around 250lbs.. 6ft 2in.. what do you recommand me guys ? or even better, explain me this 1.1 vs 1.7. Im used to carry heavy gear on my back, 1.1oz and 1.7oz is nothing for me..
    Last edited by DocBurN; 02-21-2010 at 15:18. Reason: typo

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    The 1.7 oz fabric is a heavier weight per sq yard than the 1.1. If you look at warbonnet's site he gives suggestions based on the weight of the user. I have the double 1.7 and weigh around 370, wich he lists as the top end for weight. the fabric holds me just fine, but it would not stretch as much if I was 300 lbs. In my opinion, I sleep just fine in it and if the fabric is stretching it only helps me be mre comfortable.
    Last edited by plowhorse; 02-21-2010 at 15:25. Reason: added info
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Images
    the heavier the user, the stronger/heavier the fabric they will need to support their bodyweight. that's the main factor involved in making the right choice. another factor is that if a fabric has a tighter weave and is more mosquito resistent, then it's also going to be less breathable. the 1.7, while not mosquito proof is more breathable because of the slightly looser weave. if you want max breathability and to keep the bugs from biting through the bottom, your best option might be 1.7 fabric treated with permethrin.

hammock choice is best based on bodyweight and weather or not you plan to use a pad (double vs. single)

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I've never tied mine out after the first time and today I untied the lines on it after getting tired of seeing the cat play with it.

both of my hammocks hang in my house until it's time to use them outside .....

I used my bb last night on the my porch on the coldest nite of the season so far, 41.9 degrees, exped 9 dlx, wallcreeper 650 and my frogsack as an underquilt. I was pretty toasty .......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    The netting seems to lay on my face if I do not stake out that side. I have found though than I can stick a tracking pole into the loop at the end and push it out along the ground aways to keep the netting up and off of me. Easy to do and no staking required.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12