WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Thread injecting trouble!

I'm getting better at sewing but, I'm still running into two problems; First the top of what I sew looks fine (the face up part as it goes through the machine) but, the bottom part looks kind of "globby" with weird knots and twisted thread hanging underneath. Secondly about every half hour,or so, I have to stop what I'm doing and yank with all my might a big tangled knot of thread out from under where the bobbin thread comes out. Does anybody have suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    sounds like a tension problem- there were some threads on this earlir- RRev can point you to them, but put tension in the search box and see what wisdom has gone before..
    KM (sleepy at the moment)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Remember this as a mantra... The spool thread messes up on the bottom. The bobbin thread messes up on the top. The first step I would take would be to rethread the whole machine from the spool and bobbin on down. Get an empty bobbin and rewind it. Take the spool off the machine and thread it all over again. This is the equivalent of rebooting a computer when something isn't working. Many times it will solve the problem. Don't ask me why. It just does.

The knobby thread on the bottom is almost certainly a spool thread tension issue. Raise the tension on the top thread and that should take care of it. Do NOT mess with the bobbin tension unless you already have in which case you buggered it up before and now need to return it to factory specs. The bobbin is preadjusted at the factory and usually does not need any adjustment for the machine to work right. That's why the top thread has a numbered gauge and the bobbin case has a unindexed screw. Leave it alone unless you are a very advanced stitcher who knows exactly what you are doing and why. Thread tension is one of those mysteries which are part of the use of a thread injector. It can change from one piece of fabric to another. Different spools of thread may need different tensions. Different colors of thread may need a different tension. Different fabrics need different tensions. In short... if you care about getting it just right do a sample swatch using the thread and fabric you are going to make the finished piece out of.

Try getting the tension adjusted properly and see if the clumpy clogs stuck in the throat plate go away. If they do, then yea bo!! If not you have other problems which may require a mechanic to diagnose if a few simple tricks don't help.

I know this is going to sound really stupid... but ALWAYS make sure you put the presser foot down when you stitch. (Equivalent to the computer help desk question "Is the machine plugged in?) You would be amazed at how often even top notch experienced stitchers make that simple mistake. So don't feel bad. Generally tho it would be right away that things go wrong, not half an hour down the road.

It sounds to me like there might be a timing problem. I know there are a lot of folks on the forum who tackle their own mechanical fixed but I am not one of them. Nor do I recommend it unless you have a full service manual (not the owners guide) a an aptitude for mechanical repairs. I have neither. Taking it to a mechanic means it will be given the fine tooth treatment and things can be cleaned and adjusted back to where they should be. Tension plates and springs do weaken and wear out. Timing mechanisms do wear and lose some of their precision. Bobbin cases do wear and need to be replaced. Bobbin races do get bent and cease to work properly. If you don't know when it was serviced last then it is probably time to have it done again, particularly if you are having problems.

Do the simple things first... rethread the machine from ground zero. Adjust the tension on the spool thread. If that doesn't work, then come back and we can try some other things that may or may not work.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Thanks Rev! I found a owner's manual online last night (after about my 12th time searching for one). WHAT A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE!!!! It says I shouldn't have to adjust the auto adjust thread tension but after reading your post I'm already disagreeing with the manual. But I'm glad I found it though now I know what all those knobs do! The thing can embroider all by itself . The machine was serviced 5 or 6 years ago and has sat in it's case ever since. Could being inactive cause trouble? The mechanic my wife took it to, way back then said that the machine is tip top and offered to buy it on the spot, so I think it's a pretty good one (it's a Bernnina Record 830). Even with the manual I've been unable to zig zag with it. Do you have any idea what could cause that? Does the machine really need the Bernnina oil that the manual recommends or will any machine oil work? Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Bernina is an excellent machine. Certainly worth putting some time/money into. Inactivity is a detriment to all machinery. Bernina oil is absolutely required for the cash flow of the manufacturer. If you don't care about that, use any good quality very lightweight machine oil. Invest in a pin point oiler. They ain't expensive and they will keep the oil drops where they belong. Only oil according to the owners manual directions. Glad you found it. (I personally would not use 3-in-1 oil on a sewing machine. I would buy a good sewing machine oil.)

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Beast, gun oil is a good substitute for "sewing machine oil". If you have some around you can use that. A little dab will do the trick.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    To narrow down the problem, I would start with a high quality thread, a new needle and a medium weight fabric and see if the problem persists. If you cannot get that combination to work, chances are there is something wrong with the machine.

Images
    i'd agree with rev. if the thread was loose on the bottom, then you can probably tighten the top tension and fix the problem. (if) your bobbin tension is correct for the type of fabric you are sewing, you'll be able to make most of the tension adjustments on top. if you do mess with the bobbin tension, do so in small increments. (like a quarter turn at a time). a quarter turn will make a noticeable difference, and the difference between loose bobbin tension and tight bobbin tension will almost never be more than a full turn one way or the other and usually less (in my experience).

home machines are set with a factory bobbin tension, but they are often setup for sewing lighter fabrics and thinner thread. for instance, if you're sewing webbing and using a heavier commercial thread, the factory bobbin tension setting may not be ideal. when i bought my first home machine, and the sales guy learned i was going to be using 69wt thread, he turned up my bobbin tension.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-21-2010 at 16:04.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For me a quarter turn is excessive but YMMV and Warbonnetguy is no stranger to thread injectors so I am not gonna nit-pick. Here is the crucial absolutely essential thing to remember when messing with the bobbin tension... REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID SO YOU CAN UNDO IT IF NEEDED. Sorry to yell, but you should always be able to return to the previous settings if you need to. The bobbin cases I have seen often have markings on the tension screw. Line up those markings with something unmovable on the bobbin case. Personally I would never move the screw more than one marking either way without checking to see the result. But again, that's me. The most important thing is to be able to undo the change if it is a bad change. Very small adjustments. And did I mention that you want to be able to undo the change if you don't want to keep it?

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    The after rereading the manual it says "The auto adjusting thread tensioner should not need adjusting for normal thread weights". I'm guessing that my heavy duty polyester outdoor thread isn't "normal" so I'm going to adjust away and see what happens. I can't get it to zig zag so I'll probably have to take it to a mechanic anyways, so I'll bring him my thread and my extra bobbin case and I'll leave that adjustment to a pro if it warrants that . Between you all and the manual, I sure know ALOT more than I did yesterday, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast