Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultralight, highly adjustable, affordable suspension

First off I wan't to say this is only a review. I have no affiliation with the guy I bought this suspension from. I just really like it for it's simplicity and being metal hardware free.

I have been using a suspension set that weighs less than 3 oz and has great adjustability from Jeff with Myerstech Hammock Lab in Oregon for less than $30. The suspension consists of a 7' dyneema tree strap, lightweight 6' whoopie sling and continuous loop with button knot. There is no metal hardware whatsoever adding weight or wear and tear to the strap or tree. The connections are made by tying the strap to the whoopie sling with a beckett hitch. The fixed loop end of the whoopies connect to the button knot continuous loop at the hammock using a simple soft shackle technique. The whoopies have a spliced loop though the adjustable end that you tie the beckett hitch to, so the beckett hitch doesn't hinder the adjustability of the whoopie. With 7/64 amsteel whoopies the suspension weighs less than 3 oz. I had him make me a set using "dynaglide" whoopies for a 2.2 oz total suspension weight. He sells on ebay, but I have purchased direct from him using Messenger to his Facebook page . He is a great guy to work with and his shipping times are quick.

I like Dutch Bling-tanium as much as the next hanger and appreciate his company's support of this forum. This option just seems to fit best with me personally.

IMG_20180508_095242964.jpg
    IMG_20180508_095331897.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-light...oAAOSw1RVaeRjC
    Last edited by JoeBobJr; 05-22-2018 at 17:56.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Yeah he's doing interesting stuff. I have some dyneema straps from him; I actually use them successfully with beetle buckles though it's not endorsed by Dutch.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    He’s also got some good diy videos on YouTube. I just made a continuous ridgeline for my tarp using his methods. Instead of soft shackles the connections are made with button knots and continuous loops. Works like a charm.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Maybe a stupid question, but why bother with a whoopie sling? I don't know which Dyneema webbing Myerstech is using, but I belive most Dyneema webbing is actually lighter than a double length of Amsteel. Attach a continuous loop to the hammock and tie the webbing to the loop. No whoopie slings necessary. Or am I missing something?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Ultralight, highly adjustable, affordable suspension

Hutzelbein, that’s the way some of us are going.
    One piece ultralight strap from tree to hammock
    Dutch and MyersTech vendors and RipStopByTheRoll and others.
    I’m using Dutch’s 2.0 webbing with my off the wall
    suspension, Kokomo. And can use it in my other suspension Carolina Red, that is real close to the way you describe in your post.
    At local group hangs in Carolinas there are all kinds of suspensions—-whoopie slings, daisy chains with carabiners, Dutch bling with poly straps or poly dyneema straps, marlin spike hitches, and ultralight dyneema straps and becket hitch to continuous loop at hammock.
    We use what we got....for now....
    Phantom, laughing at the mirror...
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 05-24-2018 at 13:08.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but why bother with a whoopie sling? I don't know which Dyneema webbing Myerstech is using, but I belive most Dyneema webbing is actually lighter than a double length of Amsteel. Attach a continuous loop to the hammock and tie the webbing to the loop. No whoopie slings necessary. Or am I missing something?
    Weight isn't everything. I can think of two reasons:

1. Whoopies are easier to adjust than having to undo and retie a becket hitch or marlin spike hitch.

2. Whoopies are less bulky to carry than straps.

Nevertheless you have a good point, and these two reasons aren't all that strong, and might be outweighed by the beautiful simplicity of a strap becket hitched to a continuous loop.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Also no-whoopies setup for me because straps permit hanging between more closely spaced trees, and strap to CL is about as minimalist as it gets.

I have both Venom and Myerstech 15' straps and they handle similarly. The Myers straps are a bit thicker and weigh 22g more than the Venoms, and that's for the pair. The Myerstech straps are easier to flatten out after use, although with either of these straps it only makes sense to flatten out a few feet at the tree end.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Jeff is doing some really innovative work and providing quality stuff at a great price. He's really an asset to the DIY community, and hammock community at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Weight isn't everything. I can think of two reasons:

1. Whoopies are easier to adjust than having to undo and retie a becket hitch or marlin spike hitch.

2. Whoopies are less bulky to carry than straps.

Nevertheless you have a good point, and these two reasons aren't all that strong, and might be outweighed by the beautiful simplicity of a strap becket hitched to a continuous loop.
    I'm not sure that my Venom straps from RSBTR aren't less bulky than a similar length of Amsteel, but I haven't specifically made that comparison. When tightly rolled, the Venom straps are extremely compact for the length and I suspect other UHMWPE straps are the same. I'm now carrying Venom straps + UCR's because I have tree distance anxiety, but eventually I'll realize that I don't need the UCR's and start leaving them. Or maybe one of them.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Because it's fun to talk about your "Whoopie Sling" in front of ground dwellers - the looks are sometimes worth the extra ounce or two :P

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I'm not sure that my Venom straps from RSBTR aren't less bulky than a similar length of Amsteel, but I haven't specifically made that comparison. When tightly rolled, the Venom straps are extremely compact for the length and I suspect other UHMWPE straps are the same. I'm now carrying Venom straps + UCR's because I have tree distance anxiety, but eventually I'll realize that I don't need the UCR's and start leaving them. Or maybe one of them.
    Venom straps are quite compact. First photo is how I usually roll them up when on the trail — less than 10 sec to stow them, and it's really pointless to flatten them out all neat and tidy, anyway. However, the second photo shows how compact they are when flattened out and rolled up... I'll do this just once for the photo! Yes, there are 2x 15' straps there.

Venom_straps_compact.jpg Venom_straps_compact_02.jpg

In any event, hard to find a lighter (as shown, 2.05oz) or more compact setup.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast