Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

I need a tutoral for how to use an Asym Tarp

There really isn't much out there...even in the Ultimate Hang. i'm sure I will learn by trial and error...but I would like to avoid that. I appreciate any help from the group.IMG_2026.jpgIMG_2027.jpg
    Last edited by Murph...; 05-28-2018 at 08:40.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm not sure there's a whole lot more than match the offset sides to match your sleep preference

ie, if you sleep head right, feet left, you want to set the tarp so that the asym pattern matches what your hammock looks like

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My tutorial would include bringing a larger tarp I've tried these micro tarps and as long as it's a soft rain with no wind they leave me and my gear wet.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Tikker is spot on with matching your hammock lay. I would also submit that you might want to hang the tarp close to your hammock ridge as is comfortable for you. My experience says that Asym's are cut small enough that if you get them too high, you lose coverage for the bottom of your hammock in case of wind driven rain and such.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph... View Post
    There really isn't much out there...even in the Ultimate Hang.
    Have you perused Shug's library?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are several YouTube videos on Asym Tarps......https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Asym+Tarp
    Never did a video on an Asym tarp myself.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Pretty much it, just match the lay of the hammock to the cut of the tarp.

I use my asym as a just in case or there's gonna be light or quick showers.

I pitch it nice and high when it's nice for some shade, low if it need real coverage.

Looooove my asym tarp.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Asym tarp fan myself. Pitch it low and choose your hang site wisely. I've never been wetted. For even 'safer' use, utilize an under quilt protector.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Lightbulb How To Use a Parallelogram Asym Tarp

A parallelogram asym tarp takes on its specific shape because of several factors. Up until the recent advent of lightweight wide waterprooof fabrics, the primary constraint on asym tarps was the width of standard waterproof fabric. After that, the asym tarp had to use that width from selvage to selvage along a linear run to achieve an appropriate finished diagonal ridge line length to cover the intended length of hammock (a function of the hammock RL length). Then, the asym tarp had to cover that hammock adequately when occupied using a minimum of material carefully targeted, so lateral tie-outs are positioned over the head and foot projections of the occupant's diagonal lay, and oblique end cuts are made to remove less-critical fabric from the tarp panel and define the parallelogram's direction-specific shape. In this way, the parallelogram asym precisely targets its coverage over a gathered-end hammock, but it does so with little room for error.

Helpful tips and tricks for pitching your asym tarp include the following:

1) Go low to stay dry, and pitch your parallelogram asym tarp's ridge line down as close to your hammock as you can when you are expecting foul weather, especially if there will be wind. Asym tarps benefit from pitches close to the hammock's structural ridge line, so it helps if the ridge line length of your asym tarp is in good proportion to the ridge line length of your hammock. Assuming you have a proper 30-degree hang angle on your suspension, a foot of extra ridge line length can make several inches of difference in the minimum height of your tarp ridge line pitch above the hammock, as the tarp making contact your hammock suspension is the limiting factor. NB: If you are someone who prefers a substantial drop to your hammock's head end (relative to the foot end) -- or you have a hammock designed like the Warbonnet Blackbird and Blackbird XLC, which mandates this type of pitch -- you may find this limits the effectiveness of asym tarps for your application.

2) Ditch the "V". If you use end tie-outs with your parallelogram asym tarp, which is common, don't force each side of the tarp lines to go to either side of the hammock suspension in the conventional "V" method; instead, allow both ridge line tie-out cords to travel on the side of the hammock suspension adjacent to the long edge of your tarp on each end. This allows you to adjust the pitch height of your tarp down even further, so that the ridge line tie-outs at the acute vertices of the tarp actually extend past the hammock suspension as it rises toward the anchor points, rather than being constrained to fit within the suspension, effectively shortening your ridge line length without reducing your overhang distance. It is acceptable if (and actually recommended that) your tarp panel makes light contact with the hammock suspension on the short edge near the tie-out when the hammock is unloaded, as when your hammock is occupied the hammock will sag slightly and alleviate this contact.

3) Take the time to center your tarp correctly. Overhang distance is an important consideration for asym tarps; you want enough for adequate weather protection and ease of pitching, but too much overhang can actually make your asym tarp less effective under extreme conditions (owing to points 1 and 2 above). Generally, if your parallelogram asym tarp is sized and proportioned well for your hammock, its tie-out locations (if any), and your personal lay, you'll get the best weather protection if your ensure that the tarp is centered over the midpoint of the hammock with equal overhangs at each end; however, depending on how you lay and the specs of your asym tarp, you may find you need to bias the tarp pitch minimally toward the head end, as most people's head projection on a diagonal lay extends slightly more than the footbox projection on the other side/end of the hammock. Remain mindful of the positions of the side tie-outs on your tarp when you make these tweaks, as they are still of primary concern. The shorter your tarp ridge line length is relative to your hammock ridge line length, the more critical this precise positioning becomes in foul weather.

4) Work the angles. With asym tarp pitch height and center positioning dialed in, there are a host of little tweaks that can help you maximize the effectiveness of your tarp against wind and rain, many of which depend on your hammock, your personal lay, or even the individual specifics of a particular hang. Paying attention to the precise vectors that the hammock and tarp suspensions come off the anchor trees and making minor adjustments can help you achieve all of the goals in the aforementioned steps, so be willing to re-evaluate which side of the tree from which you're hanging and consider reversing the wrap of a strap or ridge line to get a better pitch. Adjust the "wingspan" of your asym tarp maximize the "rain shadow" and to accommodate the angle of any blown precipitation; sometimes (depending on the exact size and shape of your tarp relative to your hammock) a completely "battened down" pitch is not the most effective "storm mode", and the wingspan extension that's best for a torrential downpour falling straight down may not necessarily be the best for a crazy, windy rainstorm. When wind is a worse threat than rain, a super-tight pitch with the sides folded down very close to the hammock can be extremely effective, as asym tarp tend to shed wind very well in general. You may also need to pitch the head and foot sides of your tarp at different extensions, depending upon conditions. NB: All asym tarps are particularly vulnerable to lapses in weather protection along their long edges toward the gathered ends on the sides opposite the head and footbox projections, so anything you can do to safeguard these vulnerable areas will improve performance.

5) Hang your own hang. Observation, experience, and a logical approach will help you divine the minutiae necessary for your best asym pitches with your specific tarp and hammock. Keep your eyes and mind open, and in short order you will be able to maximize the effective use of your parallelogram asym tarp and right out some really bad weather.

HTH...

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I'm guessing a saggy UQP is a good idear too even if you are not using an UQ.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast