Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    There is a high tenacity 2 sided tape you can buy that I also used on my first tarp ..... you stick it on the edge, then pull the tape tab off and then dour roll. You can just leave the tape right on after sewing. I found that you do need to wipe the needle every so often to make sure it doesn't get sticky.

https://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Dou...d-Basting-Tape

On the last tarp I found that just roll and pin, then roll and repin was about the easiest way to get good results on a double rolled hem (I just bought a set of rolled hem feet to try out). Although the first tarp and second tarp were the same 1.1 silpoly and using the same machine, I had little issues with slippage this time around, likely experience is playing a role.

JellyFish has a good video for slippery light fabrics (1.1, .66 oz/yd) using a tissue paper backing to address the slippage issue as well. The tissue part starts at a~1:30 .... but it is a good and short video to look at IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twek6taDHzQ

Brian

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have some of the wonder tape that washes out. Have not got around to using it so I can't comment on it. Got to help with backpack seams. You can get 25 yd rolls on Amazon pretty cheap.

I have bought a few different hemmer feet styles and am getting better but not 100%. I think they take a lot more fabric to practice with than people realize. I would use the feet to roll a raw edge of a stuff sack but I don't trust my skills yet to hem a hammock using the foot.

I've had good luck sewing argon .67 and .90 with a new $100 brother machine the proper microtex needles and a little practice. Oh, and I find it helped a bunch to cover the space between the feed dogs with scotch tape. The needle will pierce the tape but the fine fabrics won't follow the needle down to the bobbin

I've never used a rolling foot, but I do occasionally use a glue stick to help hold my folds together

I was fortunate enough to be given a Pfaff machine. Which has a walking foot built in I made my hammock and tarp. Considering that it’s twenty years or more since I last used a machine for more than a little patching. It worked out well, which I put down to the walking foot. It did make it easier for me. However I will add I learned to sew on a singer and own a treadle one with all the extra feet etc. Sadly a flood where it’s stored hasn’t helped it’s condition.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Use what you got... or can get.

I've done three tarps in silpoly and silpoly membrane, hammocks, stuff sacks and a boat load of accessories on a 1944 Singer Featherweight 221.. I tried the walking foot attachment, but it didn't add anything but complication, even with 0.9 membrane. My mother has two Bernina.. She does a ton of quilting. Maybe she'll grow tired of it, or need the space, or... I'd love a Bernina.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Use what you got... or can get.

I've done three tarps in silpoly and silpoly membrane, hammocks, stuff sacks and a boat load of accessories on a 1944 Singer Featherweight 221.. I tried the walking foot attachment, but it didn't add anything but complication, even with 0.9 membrane. My mother has two Bernina.. She does a ton of quilting. Maybe she'll grow tired of it, or need the space, or... I'd love a Bernina.
    I would give anything to have my grandmothers bernina, she had the serger and embroidery machine that hooks up to a computer and that machine can do ANYTHING

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Here's the thing to keep in mind about needle feed/compound feed/walking foot machines: it won't make a bad DIYer good, but it will make a good DIYer better.

Whether you're using a vintage domestic machine or a new industrial machine, you still need to have good technique and skill when working with any material. Workarounds and hacks designed at shortcutting the learning process often introduce as many problems as they seemingly solve.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Here's the thing to keep in mind about needle feed/compound feed/walking foot machines: it won't make a bad DIYer good, but it will make a good DIYer better.

Whether you're using a vintage domestic machine or a new industrial machine, you still need to have good technique and skill when working with any material. Workarounds and hacks designed at shortcutting the learning process often introduce as many problems as they seemingly solve.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I would give anything to have my grandmothers bernina, she had the serger and embroidery machine that hooks up to a computer and that machine can do ANYTHING

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yep.. that's what my mom has.. I've seen her create and import some crazy embroidery patterns into that machine.. Not something I would use regularly, but it would be fun to play.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12