Need some help guys

I bought a new machine a singer 4423 in april. I practiced with it some then I had to go out of town for work. I just started back practicing today and man I am having alot of problems with the reverse button. Do any of you with this machine have a problem with going from forward to reverse back to forward sewing? I seem to get stuck in reverse and it takes several attempts to get it back into forward sewing. I am hoping it is just me because the time to return this to amazon is over. Its all mine now. This is my luck though.LOL Plus I have to go back and reread all these posts to get back up too speed on hammocks. On top of my brother wants me to make him a tent too. Not much on diy tents im afraid.

Thanks for any input.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    RSBTR DIY Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    I have the 4432, which operates the same way I believe, and never had such an issue. I would first make sure everything is setup right, as far as the bobbin placed in the machine, and threaded properly. Also, you may not be able to return it to Amazon, but if it’s still within it’s one year warranty period contact Singer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I have had this issue. I have the same machine as well. I believe it is in need of lubrication. I hesitate to offer advice on how/where to lube the machine because I didn't know what I was doing, but definitely move the reverse switch when the cover is off so you can see what parts move and then lube the points of friction A LITTLE...I have read that there are possible downsides to adding too much sewing machine oil in there. Also note that if your machine is stuck in reverse when you are looking for places to lube, the parts that are stuck won't be moving (because they are stuck).

Hopefully others will also chime in with advice, but I think you can relax a little as it probably just needs some TLC (not the Chasing Waterfalls kind). I'll also mention that my machine did this when it was pretty new too, so I think the machines are just not getting lubed well out of the factory.

One last thing - I seem to remember that the location on my machine where it was stuck was actually located in the base...which threw me off for a good while during trouble shooting as I figured it would be somewhere above that. I think it had something to do with the pieces that were closely related to the feed dogs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Banjoman; 06-06-2018 at 07:22.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey, here's my post about this issue. I guess my machine was actually older than I thought before trying to fix it...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Thanks, Funny today I practiced some more and the thing run like a champ I tried to duplicate what was happening yesterday and couldnt. Yesteray it would just stay locked in reverse. May just need some lube I will strip it down and see tomorrow. I just hope I have some time to complete all my projects. I work out of town usually so trying to stay on top of this is hard. Is like starting over every time I get back home.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Yep, the intermittent nature of the sticking is why I lived with the problem for so long before dealing with it. Eventually mine stuck and wouldn't get unstuck. Probably not the best on your machine to let it go. I was absolutely amazed at how much smoother and quieter it ran after lubricating. I thought the machine came to me well lubed, and so wasn't expecting the improved operation after I oiled it up.

I took mine apart today. I guess singer went the other way with my machine. If anything it looks like they used to much lube!! I didnt add anymore and I wiped up some of the excess. Oh well I it is what it is. The machine only cost me like $50. I had alot of points with amazon I didnt even know I had. So if this becomes to big a issue, it be easier to swallow tossing the machine and buying something else.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman3006 View Post
    I took mine apart today. I guess singer went the other way with my machine. If anything it looks like they used to much lube!! I didnt add anymore and I wiped up some of the excess. Oh well I it is what it is. The machine only cost me like $50. I had alot of points with amazon I didnt even know I had. So if this becomes to big a issue, it be easier to swallow tossing the machine and buying something else.
    Well, there are at least 2 kinds of lube in your machine...there is oil and there is grease. I think you probably wiped off extra grease. Mine was sloppily greased from the factory as well. The problem areas where my machine was locking up weren't lubricated with grease. I really think you should open it up again and use sewing machine oil to lube the moving parts that aren't greased.

• + New Posts