11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

2 person Underquilt

I'm looking for any input I can on an underquilt for 2. I have a couple UGQ quilts and they work great solo. But with 2 of us, it barely fits shoulder to shoulder and is extremely difficult not to have my head or else feet laying on top of the cinch by the draft collar. I'm 6' and 185 pounds and she's 5'3 and much less weight. Once we go to sleep it's only a short matter of time before it slides its way out from under one of us.

Thoughts on adding a foot or so in width and then the length will be fine or maybe go for the long length? I'm scared going long and wide may leave too much bunched up at the ends and cause leaks for drafts, but I would like to get my head off the cinch cord. I emailed Paul at UGQ and he had some input but looking for more before I shell out a load of cash on something not quite right.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What kind of hammock are you using that you can sleep two people? That's generally not considered ideal (two people in a single hammock is pretty miserable). Even with hammocks designed for two people (Clark Vertex) you would still use separate topquilts/underquilts.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-07-2018 at 19:51.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    As SilvrSurfr mentioned, even hammocks branded as a "Double" usually mean they're extra wide. Extra wide is good for getting a flatter diagonal lie for a taller person, not so good for two people who really want to get some sleep. I am not aware of any cottage vendors that sell a wide enough UQ for what you want to do, but hey, you could always try to MYOG, and invent something that works.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    LocoLibreGear.com is a great place to go to get an extra-wide quilt made for you.

You actually hanging double in a double, LOL?!? If so, more power to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's A double layer hexon 1.6 wide from Dutch. I know nobody does it but we're cuddly and it works just fine in warmer weather so trying to figure out the quilt thing to get it to work for all weather.

I saw those 50" quilts from loco libre and was debating just grabbing one of those just to get a feel for what wider would start to do before I just go too wide. I work out of town and don't care to put the time in to make my own. Thanks for all the input, any more is always appreciated

There's an interesting amount of incredulity on this and other forums about two people sleeping in a hammock. I'm happily married, but share a "double" hammock with my entirely platonic female friend when we go hiking. We've done this over a dozen trips (averaging 3-4 days) for the last few years.

Yes, I know it's the same thing as with a "two person tent", meaning cramped for two but ideal for one with a little breathing room - and you have to be physically compatible for it and also very good friends, otherwise it'll get old quickly - but luckily my regular hiking partner is a good fit, so we share and get away with one hammock and tarp for a long weekend, saving pack weight and space for more important stuff. Like a three litre box of red wine for enjoying around the campfire!

My point is, it's perfectly doable with a little practice and perseverance, and I'm a little dismayed by the responses whenever anybody mentions doing so. It's as valid as anything else and can have legitimate gains by doing so. To each their own.

Edit: to directly address OP's question, we find that a standard UQ (I have the OneTigris -6'C comfort/-12'C extreme model) works just fine for two. From what I know, it's a similar generic size compared to other UQs available, so anything designed for a double hammock should do you fine. The only time I've had issues is when I had a bad shoulder and we needed to switch sides in the middle of the night, and climbed over each other to do so. I immediately started to feel cold, because during the movement the hammock had slipped out of the UQ and it was off to one side. But I was able to reach down and pull it back into position, and the rest of the night passed just fine.
    Last edited by thomas.carmody; 07-09-2018 at 14:38.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naticen View Post
    It's A double layer hexon 1.6 wide from Dutch. I know nobody does it but we're cuddly and it works just fine in warmer weather so trying to figure out the quilt thing to get it to work for all weather.

I saw those 50" quilts from loco libre and was debating just grabbing one of those just to get a feel for what wider would start to do before I just go too wide. I work out of town and don't care to put the time in to make my own. Thanks for all the input, any more is always appreciated
    No input on the underquilt but dig your style. My lady and I hang together under the Rocky Mountain stars some nights and, though cramped, it is quite enjoyable. HYOH and ignore the naysayers.

Images
    If you want go DIY, the Costco quilts are naturally 60” wide and would work well for that.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Hammockgear.com will do a custom wide underquilt for you if you want-- the standard is 44" wide (like most makers) and can go wider in 5" increments for additional cost. They suggested not going over 10" extra unless you were "hanging tandem"-- sounds like your scenario. Drop them a line and see what they might recommend

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.carmody View Post
    There's an interesting amount of incredulity on this and other forums about two people sleeping in a hammock. I'm happily married, but share a "double" hammock with my entirely platonic female friend when we go hiking. We've done this over a dozen trips (averaging 3-4 days) for the last few years.

Yes, I know it's the same thing as with a "two person tent", meaning cramped for two but ideal for one with a little breathing room - and you have to be physically compatible for it and also very good friends, otherwise it'll get old quickly - but luckily my regular hiking partner is a good fit, so we share and get away with one hammock and tarp for a long weekend, saving pack weight and space for more important stuff. Like a three litre box of red wine for enjoying around the campfire!

My point is, it's perfectly doable with a little practice and perseverance, and I'm a little dismayed by the responses whenever anybody mentions doing so. It's as valid as anything else and can have legitimate gains by doing so. To each their own.

Edit: to directly address OP's question, we find that a standard UQ (I have the OneTigris -6'C comfort/-12'C extreme model) works just fine for two. From what I know, it's a similar generic size compared to other UQs available, so anything designed for a double hammock should do you fine. The only time I've had issues is when I had a bad shoulder and we needed to switch sides in the middle of the night, and climbed over each other to do so. I immediately started to feel cold, because during the movement the hammock had slipped out of the UQ and it was off to one side. But I was able to reach down and pull it back into position, and the rest of the night passed just fine.
    3 liters of wine and hammocking with a platonic female friend? You've got yourself the most trusting wife on earth. haha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast