Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerry Chair Insultex UQ

I have seen the "Kafuri field Chair", and I liked the Jerry Chair development even better. I read about bonsaihiker's 3 in 1 Jerry Chair, I liked that too! I've borrowed from each and finally made my own chair/UQ combo.jerrychair1.jpg

My design is closer to the size of bonsaihiker's chair 47" long by 32 1/2" wide. I used a coated piece of black 1.9 nylon in the center for abraision resistance, and 1.1 nylon elswhere for lighter weight. I have shown it with the JRB poles that I carry for my bridge hammocks, although using them in this way voids the warrantee that JRB offers on the poles (of course hiking poles could also be used).jerrychair_flat.jpg

I have a single piece of insultex which has been folded to give triple thickness for 8" along each side, and just a single layer thick for the 15" in the middle. I threaded the elastic chord for UQ suspension yeti style, which is one continuous loop. A small ccf sit-pad tucks in to the provided sleeves just like Jerry's does.

As an UQ with temperature down to 34, it was not quite adequate. My butt and thighs got chilled towards morning, but I changed positions and went back to sleep. I slept in just cotton socks and breifs, so that the test of warmth would not be altered by supplemental insulation. Although my DIY hammock contains a layer of Insultex also, so this gave me two layers on the botton with four Insultex layers on the sides.jerrychair_quilt.jpg

The bonus of this configuration is when the suspension is pulled from the top and then stretched forward at waist level out from each side. I use the elastic chord from one of the end channels which has a loop on one end and a chord lock on the other. I pass one end through each side of the stretched suspension and simply put the cordlock through the loop to fasten it. jerrychair_suspension.jpg The effect is that the chair now wraps up along each side of the body giving great insulation to the entire back. It even stays conformed to the body when the legs are bent.jerrychair_seated.jpg

Total weight is 10.5 ounces which includes the suspension and the buttpad(but does not include the pole weight).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Wow, that's impressive for the weight!

Would it have been sufficient for underquilt use at, say, 40ºF?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    looks very nice,,, awesome work

I would say 45 degrees rather than 40. But I should add that the Insultex was not compressed by my weight in either the hammock body or the UQ. My earlier version of Insultex hammock used two layers beneath but they were not as effective in holding warmth because of the compression along the weighted areas of the back.

Also, my width of 32 1/2" was a bit skimpy when side sleeping with knees pulled up, which caused my back to press along the side of the hammock. The width seemed fine the rest of the time though.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    How cool is that!

Couple of questions.

Why just 1 layer of IX down the middle and 3 on the sides?

Can you make a sketch to help me understand the suspension system?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Great job on this.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    How cool is that!

Couple of questions.

Why just 1 layer of IX down the middle and 3 on the sides?

Can you make a sketch to help me understand the suspension system?
    Thanks Angrysparrow, SmokeHouse, and TOB9595. As for your questions, Knotty:

Here is the sketch. uq_sketch.jpg The lower image is the usual UQ suspension (green). It also has small elastic extensions from the end channels (blue). Now on the top image, the suspension has been pulled up through the top so that no slack remains at the bottom. The suspension is allowed to drop behind the seated person, and is then brought forward forming a triangle loop on each side (green). The end channel at the bottom of the chair is pulled up around the thighs. It gets passed through the triangle loops and fastens together by placing the cordlock trough the loop at the opposite end (blue). Sounds complex, but it is easy and takes 5-10 seconds.

Now, the reason that I distributed the Insultex the way that I did was just a whim I had while constructing it. I was planning on sometimes supplementing the quilt with either a pad or extra clothing that I would slip between the hammock and UQ. The supplemental insulation would probably not be as wide as the quilt, in such a case I'd want more insulation on the sides. There was enough Insultex to do two full layers of coverage, so I could have gone either way. Maybe the way I did it will be more versatile, or not.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 02-22-2010 at 19:33.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Any thoughts on the compression of the IX underneath you?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Any thoughts on the compression of the IX underneath you?
    As I said, I don't think there was any compression on it, yet the elasticized edges prevented drafts.

I have felt the entire back being "cool" when insultex was compressed. I modified the hammock design where compression was isolated to just the butt, but had to make a new one to fully eliminate the problem. This new insultex hammock incorprated suggestions from TeeDee for differientially cut inner and outer shells. Problem solved.

To summarize, my thoughts about compression...it sucks.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Awesome stuff. Great work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast