Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Where did you actually camp? I have to start looking for places to camp in the cooler parts of the country. Looks like it wouldn't take long to get there from where I live. I would love for my son to see those ponies up close like that.
    Last edited by dsshepard; 07-11-2007 at 14:02. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Mr. Moderator can always move threads and posts if he needs to. I don't think it's a big deal though, he's invited too. I'll give you a yell as soon as I know when we're going for sure. As it stands right now, I'm eyeballing June 30-August 2, so I can make it into Charlotte by my birthday on August 4.
    it aint botherin me... just a thread about gettin out w/ the hammock<g>.
    of course, having another thread for that trip would be less confusional when you get a little closer to detailing the trip<g>.
    i'd like to join you if it works out. i've used davidson river campground once for a base camp. sliding rock is just up the road.
    also i've backpacked not far away in shinning rock wilderness area, & did another loop near the fish hatchery.
    there's more to see in that area than you could do in a month's time.
    the place i broke my back (panthertown valley) is maybe 45 minutes west of there.
    Last edited by slowhike; 07-11-2007 at 16:28.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    to answer a few other questions... i didn't camp where the ponies came up to the hammock. i moved there to have breakfast & read the bible lesson.
    reason being that i was camped further away from the at on an east facing hill side, & when the sun came up, it went from 58°f to better than 80 (putting the thermometer in the shade) in less than two hours.
    i was getting uncomfortably hot. but when i moved up the hill to better shade, but where i was still getting a breeze, i soon found myself needing to zip the legs back on my pants & put socks on.
    all this was in the rhododendron gap area.
    so i didn't see the ponies until a couple hours after i woke up, but there have been several other trips where they were in our camp when we woke up.
    one trip, one of my friends woke up just after sunrise to something licking their tent. it was a pony<g>.
    oh yeah, for some reason i did awake to hear a small herd (probably a doz or so) ponies running down a hill side near by. i didn't know why they were running, but i knew i wasn't in a place they were likely to be in there path, so i went right back to sleep.
    i think it kinda spooked the two couples just up the hill from me the way they asked about it next morn
    that was my second night (alone). the 1st night (w/ a friend) was not to far from the elk garden parking area.
    and yes, they leave little presents every where... just got to pay attention to where you walk

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    first pic is blue cohosh, second pic is probably false hellebore (yellow lady slipper is a remote possibility also), the trillium seed pod is correct, the bush with the red berries is probably elderberry but it may be mountain ash (usually mtn. ash has more leaflets per leaf than what is shown in the pic)
    thanks HOI. i'm going to make note in the captions under those pictures.
    elderberry came to mind but i just wasn't sure. i'll try to find a plant id source & check it out.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the nice pics and movies. Looks like you were pretty near where my wife and I went last month. What a cool place.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gstepclassical View Post
    Thanks for the nice pics and movies. Looks like you were pretty near where my wife and I went last month. What a cool place.
    one of my favorites!!!

met you on the trail

Thanks for inviting me to check out the site. Your pictures are great. I met you on Saturday (7-7-07) near the Thomas Knob Shelter.
    I got my hammock for Christmas and camped with it the first time that weekend. There is a learning curve, but I enjoyed it and had a very restful night Saturday.
    Friday night wasn't quite as restful.

Looking forward to hanging out more on backpacking trips. If you would like company next time you go, I may be able to join the fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TOE View Post
    Thanks for inviting me to check out the site. Your pictures are great. I met you on Saturday (7-7-07) near the Thomas Knob Shelter.
    I got my hammock for Christmas and camped with it the first time that weekend. There is a learning curve, but I enjoyed it and had a very restful night Saturday.
    Friday night wasn't quite as restful.

Looking forward to hanging out more on backpacking trips. If you would like company next time you go, I may be able to join the fun.
    good to meet you too i'm sure... but to be honest i can't remember if someone told me they go by the name TOE
    i met & talked w/ several nice folks last week end. are you the fellow w/ the grading business?

but any way i hope to get back out before to long. i could send you an email or personal message (pm) if you like to see if the timing works for you.

and any questions you have about figuring out the hammock, please ask. this is an extremely helpful group.
    and welcome to hammock forums. ...tim

Images
    Im headed up on Sunday for an overnighter with the kids. Hope to see you ALL there. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Im headed up on Sunday for an overnighter with the kids. Hope to see you ALL there. BD
    you're going up to mt rogers this weekend?
    wish i could join you. if you have any questions, i'll be glad to help if i can. ...tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123