SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Thumbs down I'm Boycotting Byer of Maine

Fair warning; I am on my soapbox!

I just spent my lunch hour on one of my REI pilgrimages. I was over in the tent area to pick-up some extra Fig 9s and some utility cord. The hammock rack is right next to the place where the Fig 9s were supposed to be (they were out of stock!) and I always just peek to see if anything is new. There are usually Hennessy Hammocks, ENOs, and Byer of Maine (Amazonas) hammocks. I saw something I had not seen before. I’m sure they’ve been there every time I’ve looked, but I never saw them until this trip and I wish I hadn’t seen them at all.

What I saw actually offended me and, I’ll be honest, made me mad. Maybe I need to be medicated. Byer of Maine sells these little gems:

The package labeling looks identical to that image. A heavy steel biner attached to an eyebolt THREADED INTO A TREE! WTF!!!! I thought, surely this is just a bad picture. I picked up the package and turned it over to see what looked to be a 4” long eyebolt with big gnarly thread flights. It’s one thing to sell them, it’s another thing entirely to show their ‘proper use’ as being screwed into a tree. That should really help hangers convince folks that hammocks are LNT, huh?

Granted, Byer of Maine isn’t the first company most people think about when selecting a camping hammock. But, they are being sold at outdoor retailers! I understand the thin cord that they and many others sell; I don’t like it, but I understand it. However, this bolt-into-the-tree package is simply heinous and I won’t stand for it. I own three Byer hammocks currently.

I will not own any more.
    I will not purchase anything from them in the future.
    I will not set-up their hammocks at Meet-Up events.
    I will suggest people avoid their products at every opportunity.

I can’t decide if I’m more mad at Byer for offering them, or at REI for agreeing to sell them. I’m still ‘freshly pissed’, so possibly some clarity will settle in after some time. I’ll give it a little time and then I’m firing off a letter to both companies that will adequately express my displeasure. Won’t do me a lick of good, but just like posting this little rant….it will be therapeutic.

Boycott Byer of Maine and tell people why!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    This tree huggin' bleeding heart liberal has your back, and I'm sure a lot of normal folk agree as well.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    This tree huggin' bleeding heart liberal has your back, and I'm sure a lot of normal folk agree as well.
    I'm no tree hugger but that's just plain stupid! Ever heard of a tree strap? The problem I see with this is inexperienced people will think that's what you do. They should sell straps and have instuctions for people to go to the hardware store if they want to go the screw/eyebolt way.

Hard to believe REI would carry that.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I usually don't join in boycotts, nor do I expect people to join me in my crusades. However, I think you have found a worthy cause, I and I pledge my support.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    or suggest they change the pic to a fence post, 4x4, or deck rail at the very least.
    Add a "For Household use only" label, perhaps...
    As stated before- a worthy cause! KM

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    ... On line REI shows it as online only .... and no tree pictures. In their write up they show for porches and deck use ... so no foul there I guess.

Byer Amazonas Easy Hook

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'm with ya.
    I'm an LNT trainer myself & I for one will be showing as many people possible that this is the "WRONG WAY"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    I don't find it anymore offensive than the stolen goose down in your yeti. Pour little gooselets running around all naked and cold. Boycot down, boycot down, boycot down. LOL!

I think these would be perfectly fine if used on a tree on your own property.

IMO

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    I don't find it anymore offensive than the stolen goose down in your yeti. Pour little gooselets running around all naked and cold. Boycot down, boycot down, boycot down. LOL!
    You'd get along well with Genuine Draft. She feels bad every time she crawls into one of her quilts. However, they aren't going to ban down products because people are using them improperly. Many areas already ban hammock usage, because of people abusing trees and such. There is a difference. It may be a thin line, but it's there.

Again, I have no issues with putting screws, bolts, nails, etc into trees around the yard. But, when you advertise these things in an area with backpacking tents, sleeping pads, and tarps within 10', you ARE NOT targeting the backyard user. You are targeting the camper/hiker. Simple as that.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You'd get along well with Genuine Draft. She feels bad every time she crawls into one of her quilts. However, they aren't going to ban down products because people are using them improperly. Many areas already ban hammock usage, because of people abusing trees and such. There is a difference. It may be a thin line, but it's there.

Again, I have no issues with putting screws, bolts, nails, etc into trees around the yard. But, when you advertise these things in an area with backpacking tents, sleeping pads, and tarps within 10', you ARE NOT targeting the backyard user. You are targeting the camper/hiker. Simple as that.
    They should have a picture on the package showing it screwed into a post, along with some text saying "do not use on/damage damage trees other than on your land...... do not use on public land or parks".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast