Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Anything you can borrow will work to be honest. My first hammock was made with 1.6oz HyperD fabric. Compared to other lightweight fabrics it's "thick" and easy to manipulate. I had no sewing experience, zero. Took my wife's machine out, spent about an hour figuring out to thread it and load a bobbin and I was off. It took a few nervous hours but a 11' hammock is only about 50 feet of stitching. It's not perfect, lines aren't quite straight and the tension probably wasn't quite where it should have been. That was three years ago and I still use the hammock sometimes. It really isn't hard to sew a mostly straight line for what we need for basic gear.

Thrift shop finds work fine too. You'll take a small risk that they still work properly or that nothing got jammed up before the previous owner donated it kind of situation. Make sure you plug it in and press the pedal to make sure it looks like it goes. That said a sewing machine is like a car. They all operate basically the same. There might be a slight part difference between A and B but by and large it all goes together the same. If you have an issue they'll be a youtube video on how to check and even if their machine doesn't match yours the advice will apply.

No need to spend $500 to sew a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I agree with some of the others. I would give it a go yourself. Singer HD machines are cheap and you are just sewing straight lines, rolled hems to be exact. YouTube is your friend.
    I would argue that the biggest risk is buying a used machine with possible unknown problems, thus injecting problems you have no control over.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I agree with some of the others. I would give it a go yourself. Singer HD machines are cheap and you are just sewing straight lines, rolled hems to be exact. YouTube is your friend.
    I would argue that the biggest risk is buying a used machine with possible unknown problems, thus injecting problems you have no control over.
    Thank you for the advice. I have been actively looking at machines and am really considering going that route.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Singer HD are generally well reviewed here. Lots of users and a few threads about them floating around. The basic 4411 works, you don't need any other stitches than the regular straight stitch. Zig-zag is nice but not a must. The higher number series add more and more decorative stitch options. Helpful if you think you might sew to sew but not helpful for a stuff sack. They are fairly cheap and Amazon has them on sale throughout the year. Buy one, open box, thread and get to sewing. Should work straight out of the box no fusing and that's always a plus when starting out. There's plenty of other brands/options out there. Most of them will be about $100 or so and they'll all do the job.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Watch jellyfish's videos!! She's on here, but also look on youtube for Jellyfish Report. She does really great tutorials showing how to handle the fabrics we use, how to sew various types of items, etc etc -- all very patient and CLEAR instructions!

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Watch jellyfish's videos!! She's on here, but also look on youtube for Jellyfish Report. She does really great tutorials showing how to handle the fabrics we use, how to sew various types of items, etc etc -- all very patient and CLEAR instructions!
    I second this! jellyfish has great step by step instructions on using a sewing machine to make hammock gear.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Ohhhhh now I have new YouTube videos to watch.....this site is gonna be bad for my marriage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    TTTM - Double
    Insulation
    ROOST 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Hummingbird
    Thank you all very much for your helping me to figure this all out and perhaps get over my fear of learning to sew. I am excited to see Jellyfish's videos.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
    Thank you all very much for your helping me to figure this all out and perhaps get over my fear of learning to sew. I am excited to see Jellyfish's videos.
    Nothing to be afraid of. I hadn't used a sewing machine in 30+ years. A few years back I ordered an inexpensive Brother off of Amazon, watched a lot of youtube videos, and started making stuff sacks. Graduated to hammocks and tarps after that. Now I'm fixing my daughters formal dresses, and making other clothing repairs as well.

Have a plan, go slow, and things will be fine. Don't sweat small errors they give your work character

Hammock
    1.6oz hyperD DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have a small hammock buisness and sometimes people ask me for custom jobs. I'm always up for interesting projects

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast